Storage Solutions Suggest 2TB Hard Disk - Seagate or WD?

Hello,

I am looking for a 2TB disk to store critical data.
I am seeing that both seagate and WD have issues and in general both are not reliable.

My friend lost 1.5 TB of data when is WD15EADS went bad.

If you have critical data and wish to have reliability then forget about high capacity disk. Go with multiple low capacity disks.

If you are looking for just storing data, then get anyone but then disconnect them off the power, i.e. don't keep them alive all the time, after your data storing is done.

+LT

thanks for your reply.

can I know why a HDD may go bad when connected to power always?
Also is there an enclosure available where I can put all my disks (5 disks) and configure RAID?

For a large scale company it is much cheaper to just replace a faulty HDD than to check every manufactured piece thoroughly. There are "enterprise" versions of HDDs available from various manufacturers which have very low failure rate as compared to the basic desktop versions that most of us buy. The price difference for that kind of stability is just too much to even consider buying those for regular home use.

stackoverflow said:
can I know why a HDD may go bad when connected to power always?
disconencting the power is suggested if you want to only 'store' the data. Since the HDD has mechanical components the chances of it going bad increase every time it is used. In any case, no single brand can guarantee you a 100% survival rate. As already suggested in the other thread of yours, backup your data multiple times on various different sources.

A cenrtain batch of 1.5tb wd's were known to fail .. my 1.5 wd was one of them. Gave it for RMA in october, still HAVE NOT received my replacement. A lot of other people have not received their replacements from WD.. as of now go with Seagate

If it is really critical data, then go for a RAID 0 setup. Buying multiple small disks is not a better idea to replace a single larger drive. RAID is the best solution

hunt3r said:
If it is really critical data, then go for a RAID 0 setup. Buying multiple small disks is not a better idea to replace a single larger drive. RAID is the best solution
I believe you mean RAID 1 right?

There is no way you can get a guarantee of data safety, drive manufacturer notwithstanding.

Have a failsafe backup strategy. This would mean each critical dataset in at least two locations, and at least one of them should be in a backup (ie unused regularly) drive.

Power cycling and voltage fluctuations/surges are usually the culprits behind data failure, though there has been at least a few DOA reports and in my case, even the backup drive itself failing while the regularly used drive was fine.

My failure record so far has been:

Hitachi: 0/1

Maxtor: 2/2

Seagate: 1/10

WD: 4/10

Reading so many HDDs going bad so quickly isn't helping my cause of fixing up on an External 500gb HDD i want to buy. WD has RMA issues. I've had horrible experience with Seagate 7200.11 internal hdd going bad several times. Would it be wise to go for Transcend HDDs in that case? They are supposedly ' drop proof'/ 'shock resistant'.

Also, have the hdd failure rates for established brands like WD and Seagate been so high only in India or around the globe?

I see external WD and Seagate drives priced half as much as they cost in India on US deal websites. Are the WDs and Seagates available in US any better than ones that sell in India?

Dude the external power supplied HDD get damaged mostly due to voltage fluctuation/constant power failure/power cuts when HDD is in operation. Make sure U connect the power is connected to ur UPS in case of externally power supplied HDDs.

I would recommend to go for Seagate :thumbup:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Dude the external power supplied HDD get damaged mostly due to voltage fluctuation/constant power failure/power cuts when HDD is in operation. Make sure U connect the power is connected to ur UPS in case of externally power supplied HDDs.

I would recommend to go for Seagate :thumbup:

Dear friend,

Whatever be it please dont go for a WD drives, Basically I am from mumbai, I have had many failed seagate hdd's but the same got replaced within a week or at the most 2 weeks. While in the case of WD their replacement litrally sucks, It is better to opt for a second hdd rather than wait for a replacement of a WD drive.

In my case I sent 4 WD hdd's in last january (2010) for replacement, first of all I called them almost for a month's time, the courier person came for a pickup after almost 40 days, then again i had to call them daily i received the replaced hdd's after a month. but to my dismay out of the 4 hdd's 2 were working and 2 were not.

So again i had to go thru the same rma procedure and again out of 2 one hdd received was faulty, now it is over a year that I am waiting to receive the drive.

and calling them is a big head-ache. also their email reqplies are all use-less and more i guess they just copy paste the replies.

yashvisent said:
Dear friend,
Whatever be it please dont go for a WD drives, Basically I am from mumbai, I have had many failed seagate hdd's but the same got replaced within a week or at the most 2 weeks. While in the case of WD their replacement litrally sucks, It is better to opt for a second hdd rather than wait for a replacement of a WD drive.

In my case I sent 4 WD hdd's in last january (2010) for replacement, first of all I called them almost for a month's time, the courier person came for a pickup after almost 40 days, then again i had to call them daily i received the replaced hdd's after a month. but to my dismay out of the 4 hdd's 2 were working and 2 were not.

So again i had to go thru the same rma procedure and again out of 2 one hdd received was faulty, now it is over a year that I am waiting to receive the drive.

and calling them is a big head-ache. also their email reqplies are all use-less and more i guess they just copy paste the replies.

Now this has to be the most painful RMA involving HDD's.. :down:

I've 2 WD HDD"s & hope they do not die on me...

Email family pictures to yourself, upload family vids online and screw high capacity hdds FTW! For movies/music the www is permanent back up;)

Seagate has a 2TB drive at 5900 RPM with 6 Gbps Transfer speed. WD has the 2 TB drive at 7200 RPM but 3 Gbps transfer speed. Which is better? DVDstoredelhi is selling them both for almost same price.

^ 7200 rpm or 5400 rpm? The WD 2TB 7200 rpm would be a WD Black. I doubt it will be <5k.

Edit: Just looked up the listing and its a typo. Its a WD Green and those definitely don't run at 7200 rpm.

Seagate Pros:

- SmartAlign which transparently handles the 4k format (tested and works fine even on XP)

- Better performance (assuming its against the WD green)

6Gbps is largely academic and makes no difference, but is an easy way to make sure you're getting the newer Seagate Green (ST2000DL003) and not the older Seagate LP since the older one uses contact start stop for its heads, not the more reliable ramp loading.

Back