Audio Sub 10K 2.1 computer speakers—Music only

siddjazz

Disciple
There are numerous posts in the forum talking about the ideal speaker for music, movies and gaming. To sum it all up, the MX5021 seems to be an all time favorite, followed by the corsair and the promedia.
Contrary popular usage, my need is only music. Sure I watch movies (a lot actually), but I prefer using headphones for crisp sound. I listen to a lot of music from John Mayer and BB King to The Doors, Kings of Leon, AC/DC, Metallica, a lot of power metal and stuff like Opeth, Porcupine tree and POS. I barely listen to any electronic or dance music. Maybe some drum n bass like Pendulum and some Dubstep.

Basically I need a speaker with a wide frequency reproduction range.
Volume is not a concern as I have a small room and I don't enjoy loud music anyway. Now I have an old Altec Lansing VS4121, which are pretty good speaker IMO. I usually tweak the digital EQ to highlight frequencies I want to hear and they do a pretty good job. All the science apart, the sound is never right! I feel some instruments are being held back, dubbed down or just too soft to be heard.
Technically, I did a very quick frequency test from here, and figured out the prominent and subdued frequency response of the system; and then i would merely EQ those frequencies and make do with. But enough is enough, I deserve better sound!!!

I have upped my budget and decided to get a new 2.1/2.0 system. I have never personally used 2.0 systems so I am not confident on the low/mid-bass reproduction.
I have been highly inclined towards Edifiers off late. They seem to have superior build quality and well balanced bass and satellite units.

If you got through reading all of this, do you have any recommendations??? Thank you soooo much!

Note: I am in Bangalore and no one seems to have Edifiers right now. A trip to SP Road is definitely due.

the circle arko are the Solo 6C's right? The only listing i found is on flipkart, and it's out of stock. Is it still available? Any opinions about the M-audio av40's. Reviews onlie say they lack bass reproduction.

The Swans 1080MKII looks promising, but apparently the woofer used is actually a mid range so there goes the bass frequency response.

The arko 100w are the solo 6c, and the 80w are the 5c. The smaller speakers should be better in smaller rooms. There is a nice thread about them here, go through it.

Genelec speakers at 15k, which model you are talking about?

I can't find too many listings for Genelec, and the cheapest one seems to be around 15K for one. I have been doing some reading up and I have decided to add on a sub to the setup soon. From what I understand that limits my choice to passive speakers. Which poses another restriction. I will HAVE to start off with a receiver and speakers, which may not be less than 10K. On the flipside I don't mind waiting a few months so I can accumulate funds to buy the setup.

What do you say guys? Any recommendations on starting off with active speakers and then being able to add on a sub later. I know there exists a T-amp which I can use, but I hear it isn't optimal.
Maybe a trip to SP road is due. Ah saturdays!!

There is no such model of genelec which retails for Rs. 15k

You can buy Swans and trust me it is very hard to beat.

Even @ 10k the Swans D1080 is very hard to beat and it has the bigger driver than any other 10k bookshelves speaker AFAIK like AE2, M-Audio.

There is no such model of genelec which retails for Rs. 15k

You can buy Swans and trust me it is very hard to beat.

Even @ 10k the Swans D1080 is very hard to beat and it has the bigger driver than any other 10k bookshelves speaker AFAIK like AE2, M-Audio.

Agreed. Can I add a sub to the setup?

Yes, you can definitely add any sub-woofer to the Swans D1080 but I feel that you will not need the sub with this speaker, D1080 provide punchy and tight bass.

Yes, you can definitely add any sub-woofer to the Swans D1080 but I feel that you will not need the sub with this speaker, D1080 provide punchy and tight bass.

I don't know how you hook up active speakers to a sub. Can you briefly explain the setup? Also anywhere in Bangalore I can listen to them?

What is your budget to buy the complete set-up? 2 speakers and 1 sub-woofer?

Average to good Musical sub-woofer starts from the Rs. 20k or more.

My advice for you is first buy the Swans D1080 and see if you feel the lack of low frequencies, if you feel, so you can always buy a sub-woofer later. But go/move step by step.

What you can do is this:

- 3.5mm to RCA or the RCA to RCA from your sound card/DAC to the RCA in of the Sub.
- Set the crossover frequency on the sub
- RCA from RCA out on the sub to the RCA in on the D1080

B/w, why don't you buy the Swans m50W if you are concerned this much about the bass? IMO Swans M50W would be much better in this regard yet providing the good and musical sound all over the frequency spectrum. It's sub-woofer is known to provide tight and accurate bass.

What is your budget to buy the complete set-up? 2 speakers and 1 sub-woofer?

Average to good Musical sub-woofer starts from the Rs. 20k or more.

My advice for you is first buy the Swans D1080 and see if you feel the lack of low frequencies, if you feel, so you can always buy a sub-woofer later. But go/move step by step.

What you can do is this:

- 3.5mm to RCA or the RCA to RCA from your sound card/DAC to the RCA in of the Sub.
- Set the crossover frequency on the sub
- RCA from RCA out on the sub to the RCA in on the D1080

B/w, why don't you buy the Swans m50W if you are concerned this much about the bass? IMO Swans M50W would be much better in this regard yet providing the good and musical sound all over the frequency spectrum. It's sub-woofer is known to provide tight and accurate bass.

Thanks for the advice man. My aim was to build a good system over a period of time; since i don't have the cash to buy it all at once. I don't want to be sitting with passive speakers without being able to use them. Hence the idea of picking up active speakers first. The M50's are a good system, maybe I should gather some money before I decide to buy. Thanks for the help :)

BTW do you foresee prices dropping anytime soon?

Back