Storage Solutions Storing digital pics, what are the reliable options ?

I thought you wanted to convert/compress for storage purposes and deleting the originals. In case you are keeping the originals, just check what resolution is best suited for the photo frame and resize to that.

The exact term for what you want to do is resize.

Its a blank Linux box with root . You have install and set it up whether http or ftp or anything . I have set up ftp and use that for upload or download
which server are we talking of here?? i checked chicagovps.net and the prices are much higher than what u mentioned at INR 195

i use cloud only for my current mobile pics "Camera upload for Dropbox /Skydrive" . Nothing beats backup on HDD . It is really convenient if you have 2HDD's in laptop . You can manual backup using teracopy,acronis or FreeFileSync . I backup once every three months my entire content except movies and music.

Writing multiple single or dual layer DVDs is also an option but i am just worried that if i do not keep them properly, it may just go bad and extracting information from bad optical disc might be very difficult. But isn't it mentioned somewhere that DVDs can retain data for like 100 years ?
Assume i have 10-20 GB of stuff, uploading on my connection is not practical at this moment.
Thats like what 5 DVDs.

Put them on DVD and use dvdisaster. This is better than dual copy backup.

Put the parity on a different disc. Repeat the process and make another copy with parity and store it elsewhere.

If you look at par files then you have even more options. But dvdisaster is easier and multi-platform.

I backup the data to a large external SSD as hard drive aren't as reliable. there is one copy in the computer, and all the photos except RAW are synced in cloud.

I think along with offline option like HDD (i have a 250GB HDD spare), i will utilize my box.com account which has around 18GB of pics / videos already stored and i will use that only to store more.
In additional i have a media box at home for watching movies on TV and that is housing 1TB WD Green HDD. But most of the space is free in that as of now so i shall store one copy there.
Btw for the external HDD and internal HDD how can i check its health ?
Nice. I use Box for photos as well thanks to their initial 50GB sweet deal. I also backup stuff to S3 (Amazon) but I think their are cheaper alternatives. I use Dropbox for work files (10GB)

Check out Amazon Glacier too - $0.011 / GB / month*. Around rupees 7 per month for 100 GB storage. Upto 1 GB per month download free. Since the topic being discussed is archival, upload and download won't be very frequent so transfer costs would be negligible. Check fastglacier.com for a windows client - free client should suffice for most purposes. Download has to be requested and might take around 4 hours for the download to be ready. Amazon has a solid business model behind the cheap storage so unlikely to fold up unlike photo-sharing websites which intend to sell ads to you so are tempted to look through your photos for context detection.

Above all, unlike privacy-less facebook / flickr / google photo services - you can encrypt the data before uploading and not share your photos with corporations , and governments by proxy.

*Ireland rates. US is cheaper but is likely to be laggier than Ireland, though mostly indistinguishable in practice.

Check fastglacier.com for a windows client - free client should suffice for most purposes.

This is really an excellent solution. I am using Arq for OSX and it does the job perfectly fine. Do you know of any other app script (preferably open source) that does this?
I have a feeling that I am putting all my data in Galcier using Arq and one day the dev may stop updating or maybe hit by a bus (god forbid).

Back