Standing desk and monitor arm

SkullSmazer

Disciple
I currently have a basic desk 4x2 feet and it's hard to keep it organised. I currently have a laptop, monitor, keyboard and mouse along with some books and random stuff.

I'm looking for a good standing desk 5x2.5 feet. Not sure if it should be motorized or manual.
Budget is under 30k.

Also looking for a good monitor arm which can reduce the space that my monitor takes on my table. Monitor is 27" so looking for a good arm. Not sure how much the budget should be for it but max I am thinking of is 3k.

Would like to have both under 30k if possible.

Just today I got the delivery of the Ikea standing desk. Manual one though.
Decent one for the price (16.7k).
Couple of questions as I plan to replace my desk.

1. Do you get to choose what wood board and color? Or is it bundled?

2. Is it strong enough to support monitor arm?

3. What is the max width you can get? Am looking for 60inches one. It's OOS.

Couple of questions as I plan to replace my desk.

1. Do you get to choose what wood board and color? Or is it bundled?

2. Is it strong enough to support monitor arm?

3. What is the max width you can get? Am looking for 60inches one. It's OOS.
1. Board type bundled. Color is optional.
2. 50KG is max weight it can take as mentioned on manual. It looks sturdy. Should hold monitor + stand.
3. I got the 120x70cm one. The bigger one is 160x80cm in this model (Trotten). (other models are costly)

Just today I got the delivery of the Ikea standing desk. Manual one though.
Decent one for the price (16.7k).
IKEA does not ship to my location and there are no stores nearby. Also I was thinking for the electric only as for manual I have heard that you get tired after some time for manually moving it up and down

Have you used standing desk before? If not, you might wanna know this. You can't do any serious work while standing. Maybe you can but I have seen most people who have standing desks, most of the time it's not standing at all. As busy as our lives get with time, you might not want to adjust one more thing everyday before you work.

If you have any severe health issue, it's far more effective to take a break every 20 minutes and walk rather than stand.

Your budget is huge, you can get a large and wide real wood table with iron legs which will not wobble and will practically have no weight limitation, none of these fiberboard stuff that bends when weight is centered towards one point over period of time.

Have you used standing desk before? If not, you might wanna know this. You can't do any serious work while standing. Maybe you can but I have seen most people who have standing desks, most of the time it's not standing at all. As busy as our lives get with time, you might not want to adjust one more thing everyday before you work
I haven't used a standing desk before but two of my friends have it as well as one of my colleague. I have seen them using it on daily basis sometimes like 2 hours a day. I know that I won't be sitting and standing every hour or two as that will hinder my performance and ability to focus. But as I'm on the table for around 8-10 hours a day I was thinking of making a good investment and overall adjust the whole room so it feels more productive

I agree with @Heisen , I can't do particularly focused work while using a standing desk. I tend to sit back down when I really need to concentrate. And I agree that it might be better to offset the damage caused by prolonged sitting, by taking breaks, exercising regularly etc.

As for options, I've shopped with Desqoo before, and I think their standing and normal desks are pretty solid. Would recommend them for their customer service alone. But with your budget, again like Heisen said, you can get fantastic teak top desk with nice heavy powder coated GI legs- and you'd still have 10-12k to spare. Would be a sexy setup to have.

I tend to sit back down when I really need to concentrate.
you can get fantastic teak top desk with nice heavy powder coated GI legs
Thanks!!. I am not able to picture a desk as what you are suggesting. Mind sharing a pic or link?

Can you suggest what should I do for the lighting in the room? I was thinking of either moving my desk with the window or getting a lamp/monitor light which can lighten my face?
One issue with moving desk with window is that everyone in the house can see what I'm doing for which I will loose my privacy while on the desk. It's not an issue every time as most of the time I'm the only one at home

Thanks!!. I am not able to picture a desk as what you are suggesting. Mind sharing a pic or link?
Something like this. Of course this is my personal taste- but consider it segments higher than the offerings you'll get from Ikea, Desqoo etc. The desk top will be natural wood (whichever you fancy- teak, mahagony etc) and not engineered wood like ply or MDF/HDF. The legs will be powdered coated galvanized iron with proper support beams, and it'll be stable AF.

(Btw, just because a couple of us said so, don't rule out standing desks completely. Who knows, it may work for you.)

As for lighting, I'm not sure- it entirely depends on your context, preferences and setup. Personally I prefer not to have a window behind my chair facing the monitor, or directly in my vision, to eliminate glare. I don't have experience with monitor lights and lamps.

Last edited:
(Btw, just because a couple of us said so, don't rule out standing desks completely. Who knows, it may work for you.)
Yeah, just need to try it first and in my location there are none available so it can be an issue for me :). But to your point I agree that currently as well I never sit more than 2 hours unless it is really important and then also max 3 hours as I get tired and take rest for 5-10 mins so it is confusing as what to do and what not

Something like this. Of course this is my personal taste- but consider it segments higher than the offerings you'll get from Ikea, Desqoo etc. The desk top will be natural wood (whichever you fancy- teak, mahagony etc) and not engineered wood like ply or MDF/HDF. The legs will be powdered coated galvanized iron with proper support beams, and it'll be stable AF.

As for lighting, I'm not sure- it entirely depends on your context, preferences and setup. Personally I prefer not to have a window behind my chair facing the monitor, or directly in my vision, to eliminate glare. I don't have experience with monitor lights and lamps.
thanks, I am also using ikea particleboard, with ikea adjustable legs, and they are just okayish, wobbles a lot, doesnt feel sturdy and what not, had to put a stool below them to reduce wobble as i could see monitor ( via monitor arm) shaking when i was typing on my keyboard .

I also wanted a desk like you suggested, but i have no idea how to source its parts from, any idea ?

Back