Split load between 2 electric meters

lide

Disciple
Here's a question for all the electrical engineers on the forum.

The situation is that in my building all the flats are 2 flats converted into one. Meaning that on paper, in BMC records etc. each flat in my building is technically two flats. However the electric utility company (Reliance) has given 1 line per (combined) flat.

Now the idiotic billing system for electricity consumption followed in our country dictates that the more electricity you use the higher you pay per unit (rate varies according to slabs). I find that invariably I end up in the highest slab.

My question is that suppose I was to ask the utility company to give me a second electricity meter because I technically have 2 flats can I split my household load over these 2 meters so that half the units consumed show up on one meter and the other half appear on the second meter. This way I should be in the lowest rate slab on both meters :clap: and given the huge disparity in rates should save a bundle :)

I think the answer is yes !!u can have a second meter(correct me if i am wrong)..but u have to pay for the company for this ..dont fotget that one more meter means it also adding minimum amount monthy(around 100 rs depending on the area)...

I just had a second meter installed (i have 3 flats converted into 1)

It took about 25k to install 2nd meter last month and yes it does give advantage on the slabwise rates.. :p

i used to get 5k bill, now load split will get me 1.5k + 1.5k bill due to slab cut.

Just catch an angent and do the procedures :p its very easy and good to have 2 meters and sharing the load..

25k for second meter :O :O :O
G@d of w@r said:
I just had a second meter installed (i have 3 flats converted into 1)
It took about 25k to install 2nd meter last month and yes it does give advantage on the slabwise rates.. :p
i used to get 5k bill, now load split will get me 1.5k + 1.5k bill due to slab cut.
Just catch an angent and do the procedures :p its very easy and good to have 2 meters and sharing the load..

The meter itself isn't that expensive, maybe 5k, but there are all those fees the discom attaches to it. Assuming you will be living in the flat for many years.

You should break even in about 1 yrs time :)

I find it curious they only installed 1 meter for 2 flats, guess the builder was trying to cut costs.

blr_p said:
I find it curious they only installed 1 meter for 2 flats, guess the builder was trying to cut costs.

Nah I suppose it was some work around. It's designed as one flat but the plans show it as two flats with an arbitrary wall which was never built. Maybe built on land reserved for the low income group and so a single flat can't be larger than a certain area.

if those idiots give some problem, Simply get a friend over to stay in the other flat and say you've rented it out and they wil pay their share of the bill..With an agent, these things are very easy..

Back