Sony Xperia Sola/ Sony Xperia U/HTC One V - suggestions needed.

mobile_user

Disciple
Hi Friends,

Waana buy a phone for my sister. Please suggest a good vfm phone based on the below requirements:

Questions:-

1. Q: Budget?
A: max 20k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT/16M color or better

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Only from Samsung/HTC/Sony

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touch-screen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required a 5MP camera at-least with Flash.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G/Wifi/Bluetooth etc

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, music, movies, surfing internet (more precisely facebook) and of course calls.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim and the screen size should not be less than 3.5 inch. The phone should look awesome as it will be used as show-off also.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Sony Xperia Sola/ Sony Xperia U/HTC One V

I dint find any other good mobile in this price range. Please suggest if there is any other phone which is better from the above mentioned three or the better one among these three. I considered Flipkart for the latest prices. Looks will be the deciding factor, however. ;)

Both Sola and Xperia U have Better CPU (Dual Core vs Single core), GPU, better camera than One V..
HTC One V is out of contention.. Its hardware is older and It is no match for either Sola or Xperia U.. Both Sola and U will be upgraded to ICS and they ll be more future proof..
You can check this.. And this.. Read the reviews also..

Well, it all comes down to one thing: Memory Requirement..
Xperia U doesn't have a memory card slot, whereas Sola does..
If your sister can live with 4GB for music, photos, videos and documents and 2GB for all applications, buy Xperia U.. It has interchangeable bottom panels and cool transparent strip with LEDs which change colour according to the theme you select..
If 4GB of space is not enough for Multimedia, you have no choice but to buy Sola.. Sola has a larger 3.7 inch display and floating touch technology which ll be helpful is browser..

You can get Xperia U around 16k, Sola around 18.5k.. Both look awesome and have good build quality too..

Go with your sister to a store like Reliance Digital or Sangeeta or Univercell where they keep the demo models (Not Dummy Models) and see which one she likes more.. Girls give importance to looks more than specs.. So.. ;) Then you can order them online..

VFM within 20K from the listed options - Sony xperia SOLA.
Another powerful option in similar range - Motorola atrix 2

Based on looks - take your sister to a store and let her compare the phones.

Thanks for the suggestions friends...

It seems Sony Xperia Sola is much better choice than Sony Xperia U. However the PPI of Sola is less as compared to U and hence it seems U has much crispier display.

One more question though
Does any of these phones have USB OTG support?

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Sanav3 .... she won't go for Motorola...as according to her Motorola is no more a brand (however I told her that Motorola is been bought by Google) :)

why do people think Sola is better VFM?
Just because of the memory card slot? IMO, U looks cooler, has a front camera as well and is 3K cheaper. (15.3K at a local shop).
If you can leave with 4GB user memory, U is a no-brainer. Otherwise, Sola is also a good choice.

why do people think Sola is better VFM?
Just because of the memory card slot? IMO, U looks cooler, has a front camera as well and is 3K cheaper. (15.3K at a local shop).
If you can leave with 4GB user memory, U is a no-brainer. Otherwise, Sola is also a good choice.

4GB, how do people live with that?

The screen apparently is not that good in the Xperia U.

And the Xperia Sola is by far one of the sexiest Droids Alive (Sony Xperia SX is sex)

4GB, how do people live with that?

The screen apparently is not that good in the Xperia U.

And the Xperia Sola is by far one of the sexiest Droids Alive (Sony Xperia SX is sex)

To me, U looks better with the strip.
It has the same screen as the Sola with a slightly higher pixel density.
It has a front camera and a removable battery.
And it costs 3K cheaper.

I agree on the 4GB memory limitation but it really depends on the user.
For someone like me , it's not a problem. I can always backup pics/videos to my laptop.
Music is the only thing I plan to store here.

@mobile_user I would suggest you to have a look at Samsung Galaxy S Advance. It would cost around 21k in brick & mortar stores and its has a pretty good battery life with the 1500 mAh battery which should last longer.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
cooleagle.....thanks for the suggestion but I am sorry to say, Samsung phones are ugly. My sister would never select this phone over Sony's Sexy line up.

Well, after all the discussion, it seems I will have to show only these two Sony's phones to my sister for the selection. I believe 4 GB memory is good enough for her as she gonna use the memory to store music files and pics only. If you ask me then I am more towards the Sony Xperia Sola but lets see what she decides.

By the way, On sony has started a countdown for a new xperia phone on its fb page. Not sure, what kind of phone going to born now. I expect quad core processor from Sony this time to compete with bad looking but hardware rich samsung.

Guys, even I am contemplating buying Xperia U. Very confused between U, Sola and Neo V. Even Neo V has all the features of U minus dual core. Does this make difference in real world and not the synthetic benchmarks? Also, Neo V has expandable storage! Rest all the specs are same, I believe, for U and Neo V. So how is Neo V as alternative to U and Sola? And what are the drawbacks for U apart from memory (not a concern as I have a dedicated music player and tablet for gaming!!)

Guys, even I am contemplating buying Xperia U. Very confused between U, Sola and Neo V.

That is straight forward

Neo V has less Internal memory (all apps cannot be installed in Memory Card)
Neo V has Single core processor and weaker GPU (Not only for gaming, Overall general performance)
Neo V camera is not as good as Xperia U or Sola
Neo V doesnt look as good as either Sola or U
Neo V lags when upgraded to ICS (My friend has Neo V and it was way better in Gingerbread. You can Google to check the problem too. But some have told that it has become better too :confused1: )

Sola and U are much more powerful and can (Hopefully) run ICS better when they are upgraded..

Sola costs around 18.5k, U around 16k and Neo V around 17k..
So why would you pay more to get not as good, less powerful product?
If more memory is must, get Sola.. Else get Xperia U..

Back