Sony Vaio VPCCA15FN or VPCCA35FN: User opinion needed.

DarkAngel

Skilled
My friend was eyeing the VPCCA15FG for quite sometime now and so I need user opinion regarding the same. Please share your insights regarding the battery life, temperature, build and speakers.

Sony VAIO C Series VPCCA35FN vs Sony VAIO C Series VPCCA15FG: Compare Computers: Flipkart.com

He will most probably buy the VPCCA35FN (Its the same as VPCCA15FN with 2 upgrades. Better battery life and i5 2430M instead of i5 2410M) Even the weight and dimensions are same and it also costs couple of grands lesser :p)

The new model was listed today in flipkart and not listed in the Indian site yet! Listed in Asia site though. So that is the reason i need opinion on the VPCCA15FN so that he can base the purchase decision on it.

Appreciate your help. TIA :)

Edit: The thread's main purpose is to get user opinions of CA15 or 35 or similar VAIO users regarding the minor niggles of the system or potential dealbreakers in any. Also to get some feedback about Sony Vaio service from users.

If you are suggesting alternatives then the important criteria are 14" form factor and sub 2.5kg weight. Also the laptop should not be a room heater as its already pretty hot climate in our city :p

In any case ask him to go for the CA35 only as it has the new BIOS which addresses the AMD hybridg graphics switch problem that was present in CA15. Apart from that the laptop itself is pretty nice, with the only "issues" being screen is average - no better or worse than competition, the webcam quality is not that great and the speakers are bad.

avi said:
and why not Dell XPS 14 ? it is weak in gaming, but good in every other aspects.
Xps14! Na. Its discontinued and the processor is arrandale 1st gen core series. Any other ca15 or ca35 users out there?

@jugga - he is a bit skeptical about hp.(even i am!)
It has a pretty high clocked high midrange gpu in a smallish chassis. How good is the cooling? Any users out there? Please share your opinions.

^

Avoid hp, i dunno about dv4, but dv6 with 6770 heats up a lot while gaming. it is recommended to use(game) in ac room with gud cooling pad.

Using such a high end gfx card, it should have some extraordinary cooling system like alienware, but its not the case it uses ordinary cooling system like other laptops.

The DV6 cooling is decent but still it heats up a lot under high ambient temps, the 14 incher will probably heat up like an oven under load with that 6770M!!!

And yes DarkAngel, the 6630M in the CA can be overclocked nicely to reach 6730M performance levels.

If your friend doesn't mind going with a 15 incher then Dell XPS 15 is the laptop which he should seriously consider... And i think your friend has 52k budget so XPS 15 easily fits in his budget... Tell your friend to go with this config XPS 15 : i5 2430M + 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM + Nvidia GT540 2GB + 500Gb HDD... See XPS 15 is better than the laptop your friend is looking to buy in almost every way... It has good build quality, Loud and Clear JBL speakers & good A.S.S... My friend has a sony VAIO laptop which is some 2 or 2 and a half year old now and the speakers of that laptop produces so low sound that it just ruins the movie experience... You have to sit very near of the laptop to hear whats the charachters in the film are saying... I think Sony still haven't been able to to improve the sound quality and loudness of the speakers they put in the VAIO laptops...

Better go with XPS 15 i would say... :)

^^His frnd is just adamant to go with 14 inch lappi. Plus XPS is not at all worthy in front of Vaio model i mentioned above. I agree speakers are bad or not even comparavle form dell, but do consider other points.

what other points? the Dell laptop that i have suggested has same config... And the GT540 performs like HD6630 and in some benchmarks it outperforms it...

When he wants a 14 inch laptop, why are people pushing for 15.6 inchers? some people prefer 14 inch form factor and always there is less option in that range but that should not be the reason for pushing towards 15.6 inch laptops.

I am not pushing OP to go with a 15.6 inch laptop... if you have read my previous post you can clearly see that i said "If your friend doesn't mind going with a 15.6 inch laptop then he should seriously consider Dell XPS 15"...

OP has made it very clear in his second post that "he is adamant on a 14incher." so no use discussing about Dell XPS15 here.

Hades. said:
what other points? the Dell laptop that i have suggested has same config... And the GT540 performs like HD6630 and in some benchmarks it outperforms it...
For a config equal to Vaio, XPS will cost 63K !! That's 11K costlier. And what you get in turn? Marginally better gfx, excellent speaker. Anything more? I don't think its worthy to spend 11k more on a similar spec lappi. ASS wise, both are good.

Hades. said:
I am not pushing OP to go with a 15.6 inch laptop... if you have read my previous post you can clearly see that i said "If your friend doesn't mind going with a 15.6 inch laptop then he should seriously consider Dell XPS 15"...

He has already replied to 15'6 inch thing that his frnd is adamant on 14 inch, if you have read all the posts.

Back