Sony GNZ88D Mini HiFi

Sony has been a bad experience to start with. This system was lying around uselessly because it never gave color when running DVDs .

However, things are improving and now it seems the Music system is as good as we thought it ought to be. (Thanks to the discovery that my TV supports NTSC :ashamed: )

But Still have a few doubts -:

1)There is no Sub Woofer supplied,but there is a jack for it behind the system. Are separate ones available? Is it possible to buy a 2.1 speaker system for PC and use the speakers for PC and the subwoofer for the audio system ?

2)The system supports NTSC / PAL formats , and so does my TV. But there is no color when the TV is in PAL/PAL60 . I changed the display settings via remote to "4:3 letter box & PAL" for the music system, but still there are no colors with PAL. Only NTSC 3.58 shows colors, not even NTSC 4.43 . :mad:

Moreover the LED display of the music system always shows NTSC in the upper left corner , regardless whether I set it to NTSC or PAL via the remote.

IS there any problem with the piece or my TV is too old(~10 yrs : Panasonic ) ?

The One said:
1)There is no Sub Woofer supplied,but there is a jack for it behind the system. Are separate ones available? Is it possible to buy a 2.1 speaker system for PC and use the speakers for PC and the subwoofer for the audio system ?

yes you can, but they will be underpowered compared to your other speakers. If you want better bass, you need to add a dedicated sub like these Home Audio > Roarr Series

greenhorn said:
yes you can, but they will be underpowered compared to your other speakers. If you want better bass, you need to add a dedicated sub like these Home Audio > Roarr Series

I can, well good enough. That means the 2.1 system has a separate jack for the subwoofer,right ?

Performance doesnt matter too much, there are lots of 2.1 options(comapred to 2.0) and now I've found a good place to throw that subwoofer into :p

BTW, how much do those Sonodyne Roarr cost ?

Chaos said:
The system probably doesn't have the PAL processing circuitry. Doesn't matter anyway. Just use NTSC :p.

Yeah lol, but its noobish I cant get the thing working with PAL. I found the way to get the color system to PAL in the online manual, but that thing is a stubborn brute, no colors for PAL whatsoever ,automatically goes to NTSC when the DVD plays.

no, the point being , a typical computer 2.1 uses a 5 inch 30 W sub, while your fronts seem be 6 inch plus , and have power handling capacity of over a 100W ( on paper :p) . It would be a gross mismatch, and the sub will, in all probablity be drowned out , and you'll get no real benefits

The One said:
I can, well good enough. That means the 2.1 system has a separate jack for the subwoofer,right ?

Performance doesnt matter too much, there are lots of 2.1 options(comapred to 2.0) and now I've found a good place to throw that subwoofer into :p

BTW, how much do those Sonodyne Roarr cost ?

Yeah lol, but its noobish I cant get the thing working with PAL. I found the way to get the color system to PAL in the online manual, but that thing is a stubborn brute, no colors for PAL whatsoever ,automatically goes to NTSC when the DVD plays.

errr.....excuse a noob for making a guess here....but sometimes DVDs are also encoded for a particular format :p i remember cos i bought one today to send to someone. was reading at the back and the color system was specifically mentioned as NTSC. That might be the reason. Check ur Discs box and c what color system it is for :D

greenhorn said:
no, the point being , a typical computer 2.1 uses a 5 inch 30 W sub, while your fronts seem be 6 inch plus , and have power handling capacity of over a 100W ( on paper :p) . It would be a gross mismatch, and the sub will, in all probablity be drowned out , and you'll get no real benefits

This is the specification (on paper :bleh:)

Power Output

P.M.P.O.

3500W

Total RMS

320W

Front (RMS)

100W x 2

Center (RMS)

40W

Rear (RMS)

40W x 2

Couple of 40 watters there,on NOT too high volume...will the subwoofer be having no effect at all? And how would the PC speakers sound without the woofer ?

errr.....excuse a noob for making a guess here....but sometimes DVDs are also encoded for a particular format i remember cos i bought one today to send to someone. was reading at the back and the color system was specifically mentioned as NTSC. That might be the reason. Check ur Discs box and c what color system it is for

Well Godfather DVDs will be NTSC, but i dont expect the Indian ones to be in NTSC, moreover the manual mentions that system has its default color settings depending upon area( which can be changed). The thing is, all VCDs play fine.

The One said:
This is the specification (on paper :bleh:)

Power Output

P.M.P.O.

3500W

Total RMS

320W

Front (RMS)

100W x 2

Center (RMS)

40W

Rear (RMS)

40W x 2

Couple of 40 watters there,on NOT too high volume...will the subwoofer be having no effect at all? And how would the PC speakers sound without the woofer ?

Well Godfather DVDs will be NTSC, but i dont expect the Indian ones to be in NTSC, moreover the manual mentions that system has its default color settings depending upon area( which can be changed). The thing is, all VCDs play fine.

1. the one i bought was a local moser baer one :p so check local discs settings too :)

2. u can manually change, but if the dvd is encoded in ntsc it ll show wrong IN PAL na (thats the black n white video) :p

Back