Someone else's Aadhar linked to my number

Probably the previous owner of the number? Not really sure about that. I'm not sure how long a number is out of circulation before they reissue it.

Probably the previous owner of the number? Not really sure about that. I'm not sure how long a number is out of circulation before they reissue it.
Interesting. I was under the impression that a number gets permanently disposed once deactivated by an user. How many times does it get recycled? Does a number ever have an end of life? Reassigning the same number to multiple people down the road opens up the possibility for such a mess. Multiple individuals can have the same number linked to many different services under many different identities!

It can vary evidently. Airtel says 90 days, 15 days grace period, and they deduct 20 from balance and add an extra 30 days before deactivating. So depending on the balance it can be a very long time.

TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) regulates the telecommunications industry of India. It lays down a set of guidelines and rules for the players in the telecommunication industry. According to TRAI consumer handbook, a sim card is deemed to be deactivated in case of non-usage for over 90 days (about 3 months). The non-usage here means zero incoming or outgoing calls/messages, no data sessions, no use of value-added services, and any related payment. Post 90 days (about 3 months), an amount of Rs 20 is deducted from the prepaid balance, if available to keep the sim activated for 30 more days.

If the balance is not available, the sim is automatically deactivated and therefore cannot be used for any incoming or outgoing calls, texts, or internet. Once the sim is deactivated, the same number is recycled and becomes available in the market for a new user.

There's at least 90 days after deactivation before it's recycled according to TRAI, but who knows whether the providers follow this strictly.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has told the Supreme Court that a mobile number deactivated due to disuse or disconnected on the subscriber’s request is not allocated to a new subscriber for at least 90 days.

As they should. Aadhaar OTP is mandatory for most if not all authetications, officially.

Any opinion as to how they get linked at the first place without OTP?

Should have linked when they registered for Aadhaar in the first wave of bookings. They never verified Address Proof, Mobile, Name etc.,

I have a similar but unrelated issue with a "premium" number I purchased from Jio last year. Apparently, the previous owner had used it as a secondary number for his primary Vi number. Seems he stopped using the Vi postpaid number without paying his last bill and also stopped recharging my current number as prepaid.

As a result, Vi has been sending legal notices to my Jio number for recovery of payment for the past year and haven't stopped even after multiple clarifications. The saving grace is that I don't get too many calls intended for the previous owner as he probably held that SIM for a short time.

But yeah, recycling of SIM without any due diligence is a real menace.

I don't really mind, but to be clear the thread was about

Someone else's aadhar having my number as registered number
NOT
My aadhar being linked/given as kyc proof for someone else's number

Both are very separate issues with separate solutions and should be discussed in separate threads

Fully understand your position, your post have opened up discussions on multiple issues, hence posted a related link.
Hope you were able to report this issue somewhere and find a solution.

Back