Some Silly Questions

krishnandu

Skilled
Hey friends, I have some silly questions, for which I'm not finding any logical answers(as per my knowledge :bleh:) or by googling.

1. Say I'm crimping a cat5e cable in straight mode. So the technique that we use can be termed as parallel, as wires are connected in this way 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 and so on...Now my question is if I configure it irrespective of colour codes it doesn't work. Why?? How the pins decide(come to know) whether I've used orange wire or green wire??

2. We know that Linux is not prone to viruses like windows. But how much Linux servers are prone to get hacked..?? I mean what are the chances..?? I know HACKING itself is a big term to define. And completely depends on the security measures and configurations we define. But irrespective of that how much is it vulnerable comparing to Windows?? As everyone says windows servers can be easily hacked/cracked.

3. I heard(like everyone says) according to security it's JSP > ASP.NET > PHP. I don't know is this right or not, if this is right how come Linux be the choise for maximum server's?? ASP.NET won't run there(Well...without the apache_mod which we won't get from hosting providers)
I know these are some silly and idiotic questions....but I'd really be thankful if anyone answers this for me. Specially the 1st question.

Definitely not silly questions..

As for the first question the the pins 1,2,3 & 6 are required to make LAN connection..the only care that needs to be taken is that u do the crimping at both the ends in similar fashion i.e same wire on same pins.

iprincepankaj said:
Definitely not silly questions..

As for the first question the the pins 1,2,3 & 6 are required to make LAN connection..the only care that needs to be taken is that u do the crimping at both the ends in similar fashion i.e same wire on same pins.
That's the thing I'm talking about, I did that, I did exactly same on both ends, but not working if I don't follow the colour codes.

First I thought as it is an Ethernet standard it's not working, but then I thought how does ethernet came to know the colour of wires. Is there anything like different resistance for different wires??

krishnandu said:
That's the thing I'm talking about, I did that, I did exactly same on both ends, but not working if I don't follow the colour codes.

First I thought as it is an Ethernet standard it's not working, but then I thought how does ethernet came to know the colour of wires. Is there anything like different resistance for different wires??

Silly answer, but I guess you have to go down to the level of electrons and semi-conductors. The wires would least care if you join orange with green, but the semi-conductor would find that and refuse to work.

krishnandu said:
Hey friends, I have some silly questions, for which I'm not finding any logical answers(as per my knowledge :bleh:) or by googling.

1. Say I'm crimping a cat5e cable in straight mode. So the technique that we use can be termed as parallel, as wires are connected in this way 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 and so on...Now my question is if I configure it irrespective of colour codes it doesn't work. Why?? How the pins decide(come to know) whether I've used orange wire or green wire??

Theoretically, it should work. Practically, there are two reasons to follow standard.

1) Standards are good to use at it is easier to diagnose problems alter on. (By others if you are not around)

2) Cables carrying signals have crosstalk. To get around this, two cables are twisted around each other. Pins 1/2, 3/6, 4/5, 7/8 need to be paired. So each pair of the 4 twisted cables are used to connect two of these pins. If you maintain that, color is not very important.

whatsinaname said:
Theoretically, it should work. Practically, there are two reasons to follow standard.

1) Standards are good to use at it is easier to diagnose problems alter on. (By others if you are not around)

2) Cables carrying signals have crosstalk. To get around this, two cables are twisted around each other. Pins 1/2, 3/6, 4/5, 7/8 need to be paired. So each pair of the 4 twisted cables are used to connect two of these pins. If you maintain that, color is not very important.
Thanks..!! It looks like a really good answer, I forgot the twisted thing. So if I follow the pair irrespective of colour it would work. Right...??

BTW what about other questions?? Though this one is the most important for me :p

2. We know that Linux is not prone to viruses like windows. But how much Linux servers are prone to get hacked..?? I mean what are the chances..?? I know HACKING itself is a big term to define. And completely depends on the security measures and configurations we define. But irrespective of that how much is it vulnerable comparing to Windows?? As everyone says windows servers can be easily hacked/cracked.

Hope you got an answer for your 1st question.

The only thing that make linux unbreakable is its architecture.

If hacker somehow get the root password then its game over and your linux is no more secure.

apart from root other users have very limited access to system files(Which is why virus code find it difficult to modify them).

It is also said that hackers target audience is Window users(Reasons may vary such as 1) Mass Destruction 2) Hatred towards microsoft's money making policies ....)

There are many linux viruses out there but as long there is a open source and vast community to support the product ,viruses gets easily tracked and dealt .

with vast variety of linux distribution same virus may not work for all linux machines and hackers may need to tweak the code .

I guess you will understand ,when you learn about Linux architecture and spend some time understanding hacker mind :)

Wow..!! 1st two questions answered :)

Well, I'd like to how does open-source makes money?? I don't think these developers are spending time to create such great softwares, OS, just as their hobby.

And as they are open source, the code is visible to anyone in the world, so how are they secure?? As anyone can make use of vulnerability.

Well, I will try to answer as best as I can..

Open source software vendors make money on providing services and training. Though the software (say a application development framework) may be free, using that software to implement something useful will need some training and the best people for that training would be the people who developed the software.

Developers usually take up open source projects as a passion - not all are after money. It is also an opportunity for them to hone their development skills and show those applications as real proof of their talent in case they want to take up jobs in technology companies.

Though the source code is visible to all, so are vulnerabilities - which increases the possibility of noticing them by someone who can fix them. This is not possible in closed-source applications.

Back