Car & Bike Skoda Fabia - thoughts?

TechHead

ex-Mod
Ok, so we need to replace a long-running Zen at home. The Fabia Ambiente is coming to around 5.4L OTR, Mumbai MH-01 registration. 1.2L, 75 bhp, front airbags, and front power windows. No music system, which is fine, as the Zen has a good HU + changer anyway.

What do you guys think? This will be for a 10-12km round trip every day, not much highway driving, as we have other cars for that.

I know Skoda has a bad rep with their past shenanigans, yet they seem to have improved over the last year or so.

what would be the primary usage??

i mean u have mentioned 10-12 km/day.. but if the usage wud have been mentioned, other alternatives can be suggested.. :)

Would suggest i10. You get the mid version for 5.4L which has got the same size engine, 5 bhp more and features better than fabia, plus, it has got fantastic average.

kauzy said:
what would be the primary usage??

i mean u have mentioned 10-12 km/day.. but if the usage wud have been mentioned, other alternatives can be suggested.. :)

Home -office -home. For my granddad, who is 90.

@Anagh - the Polo is ~1 lakh rupees more, and noisy as hell. TDed that too.

@ultimabasher - already have one i10 at home, besides, the Fabia seems to be slightly larger inside?

+1, was also going to suggest an automatic. But the problem is AFAIK, out of the modern hatchbacks only i10,i20 and A-Star come in auto transmission.

Why not consider the Ford Figo? For ~ 5 Lacs OTR, you can get the fully loaded ZXi variant with Airbags and a Stereo system, should be as spacious as the fabia.

kauzy said:
i wud suggest going for an automatic if it is for grandpa.. does fabia come in auto?
Oh, there's a driver. Not going to allow him to drive at 90, no matter how much he doth protest!

Ah, the Figo - thanks. Going to look at that as well.

TechHead said:
Oh, there's a driver. Not going to allow him to drive at 90, no matter how much he doth protest!

I had a suspicion that this was not a typo.. Shakespearean usage , huh ! berry nice..

....Its a nice stable car, have taken it on as few drives on the Highway.

Interior space and comfort are adequate...The 1.2L is enough for it for the city.

I dont know about the Figo but compared to other cars in the segment, leaving the polo and the i20

you will have a very good sense of safety, the doors close with the same reassuring 'thud'

and the cabin is well insulated from outside noise. Much better than anything from Hyundai or similar players.

...just one advice, after the initial free maintenance period is over find yourself a nice European car workshop to carry out further Servicing etc. Going back to skoda A.S.S. everytime will become an expensive affair they will charge you thru their A**. Not worth it and there are enough competent Workshops around now that we have tonnes of European cars here.

Good luck with your new purchase :)

TechHead said:

i am so sorry.. i skipped the age part.. :ashamed:

figo is a great car too.. i will still ask you to check out the i20 even if u have i10.. no harm in checkin out.. :)

for 10-12km per day.. you wont cross 5k per year.

cars like fabia, polo, punto have annual/15km service intervals.

fabia has polo's engine so it will be as noisy as the polo in petrol 1.2. Although noise is audible as long as you keep the windows open.

price difference between both shall be 50-60k for comparative models.

check the build quality, features, space/volume and decide I would say.

fabia = classic

polo = sportingly classic

beat = Grandpa may feel too young... (I feel too young for it :ashamed:)

Fabia - Its a tank on tires. Solid buil quality

1.2 TDI - 3 cylinder putter putter sounding engine. Sucks big time

1.2 Petrol - simlar sick pterol engine

1.6 Petrol - The only engine that does justice to this tank

Kindly be aware of high maintenance & spares charges and fraudulent practices of skoda dealerships

I tried the Polo 1.2, and as you guys say, it's a garbage engine - very noisy and clattery.

Thought the Fabia has better NVH characteristics?

Back