SIFY permanently shutting down retail broadband services in Pune..

onlyravi

Godly Modly...
Skilled
As many of the SIFY broadband users in Pune must be knowing this... SIFY is shutting down all their retail broadband services in Pune.

Last week my account expired and I tried to renew it online. I could not get my regular plans on the SIFY site and tried to call their local support no.
The call center IVR asks if you are a retail customer and then plays a message which says contact local cable company.
When I contacted my cable engineer he said that they are not taking any new connections and not allowing to renew the existing plans. Though there was an option to renew for 3 months from the backend he said that no gaurantee can be provided on how long SIFY will provide the bandwidth... and there will be no refunds. :(

Now I have no other choice but to accept ICC plans... and WTF they are 50-80% more expensive than SIFY plans. :( PaceNet plans & bandwidth both suck )

Only other option I have is Tikona which is the last thing I wanna try on earth ... from my previous experience with that company.
Though there is no official mail/written intimation about SIFY closing their retail services I had received a call from ICC 3 weeks back informing me the same. I thought that guy was trying to convert me to ICC so I ignored...

In Pune the cabling and connectivity was provided by ICC (cable operator) and the bandwidth and accounts management by SIFY OR PaceNet but now it seems that SIFY is on the verge of closing down this business and now ICC has itself become a service provider with bandwidth from TATA. PaceNet and Sify were the two ISP choices available if one wanted a internet connection from the cable guys. The optical fibre till the building is provided by ICC.

Can any other members from Pune or other cities using SIFY confirm if its the same in their city/area?

Hi
The same thing has happen to me however I have taken up tikona to me honest I have not faced any problem

First I am not to far from their tower it works fine if yiu are within 500 meters of the tower

Second you shoukd take a static ip address without that ur internet session would expire if its idle for more than ten min u would need to log out and log in ifu dont take a static ip

And also yiu comouter would take ages to detect the ip address if u have not got a static ip

I have had no problems with tikona and all my queries and requests have been taken care of within 24 hours

They technical team lack a little knowledge however if u know the basics u should get through it without a problem.

Hi Ravi,
I am from Pune and yes I had the same call back in December but, I had already recharged my account that time for 3 months. (Sify's 2mbps unlimited plan for 3 months was the best option for me and got a very very good speed.) So, they said, it's ok they can adjust it for 3 months but they can't guarantee the functionality etc. Now it is getting expired tomorrow. I am going to talk to my cable guy tomorrow but before that, I am just curious, which ISP u went with then? Pacenet or ICC? And how's your experience? Please let me know?
Tikona has no feasibility in my area :( so better stay away from it

pacenet is not really good here... icc is expensive but better... they have a pppoe dialer... no custom dialer crap like sify.

Back