Audio Shure SE 215 Or Westone 1 , which one to choose ?

urssriks

Disciple
After ue superfi 5, I am happy with the sound signature its giving me, but I have a peculiar problem, when I wear them, left side ear phone is not sitting as
comfortable as the right one,
I have absolutely no problem what so ever with my ears :bleh:
So I am able to enjoy then only when I hear music at home.
I want to buy another set of IEM's on my way to work or call it an upgrade.
Music I hear : All types.

I am planning to buy from Earphone Solutions - Best Shure Earphones plus Earphones by Westone, Klipsch, Shure SE535, Westone 3, Westone 4, iPhone Headphones, iPod Headphones Review and Best iPhone & iPod Earphones ( found a 15% off coupon too).
Please suggest a good IEM in 100-120 $ range :)
Guess TE is making me to spend more money these days on ear phones, tend to buy a new IEM with every review I see here.

Any particular sound signature you have in mind ? Heavy bass / medium/light bass ? Mids-oriented IEM or neutral/treble enhanced ?

Hi Faheem, was thinking to PM you and thanks you replied here.
Not very keen on particular sound signature, Medium bass is good for me. I dont like the heavy bass types like Dr.Dre.
Any alrounder will do good for me..
I dont know anything about westone, I choose it in my list only by ratings.
I am open to other suggestions also.

What about Phonak PFE ($139)? Is that kind of signature ok for you? Read about in Joker's thread and see if it suits your taste.

What happens on the left side? Does it come off quite often? Have you tried different size tips for each ear?

Hi santosh, Not sure what is the problem with the left side ear phone, they come off quite often and also they are not sitting comfartably as the right one.Very embrassing :( :mad:
Yes I tried with XS/ S sizes. No go.... Comply Foam Tips are fitting well but they are not for every day use I feel. Phonal PFE,
out of curiosity are they bassy ? (I am not very inclined towards bass heads).

Phonak PFE are not bassy at all. They are balanced, on the analytical side, much more engaging than RE0, but not incredibly micro-detailed. Though they don't need amplification, they do slightly better with an amp (bass in particular).

Well you could get the super.fi5 remolded rather than getting another iem. Custom Iems will give you a Better sound, isolation and comfort than what you get from the current sf5. You can also add another driver to make them triple drivers.

Unique melody does the remolding and it should cost you almost the price of good new iem.

Thanks Santhosh,Benny,If I want IEM's which can provide me a micro detailed sounds, Will Phonak PFE serve my purpose? Also any comments on Shure SE 215 as I read they are comfortable to wear than most other head phones in this range ,

Shure SE215 is right now a FOTM on head-fi. So, I would not be sure how it sounds until sometime passes. Usually, the norm is to "find" issues after 40 pages are past in the appreciation thread. So, I'll wait a bit.

PFE is indeed well detailed. It just does not spit out every detail there is. With IEMs, 1 + 1 + 1 is not always equal to 3. It is always about getting the combination right. I would say that PFE gets it right, in fact, better than RE0. Sure it does not have the wide sound stage or the precise placement of CK10 or the treble of RE0 / DBA-02 or the bass of SM3 or even e-Q5, but it does things well enough such that you won't feel it as inadequate. First off, it's a BA much like Super.Fi 5, so you won't lose on the speed aspect. Secondly, they have a nice balance - Mids that are ever so slightly forward, but not in your face nor recessed, Bass that has more body and not as bad a roll off like RE0 and treble that has good sparkle.

If you are after micro-detail, you would have to shell out a bit more and get CK10 or settle with DBA-02 / Brainwavz B2. But, you will get a big spike at 10Khz with CK10 and a forward, in your face treble & a bit of aggression with DBA-02. There are always trade-offs, at least in terms of price or build quality.

You can also look at VSonic GR07 (around $150-160). It is technically an IEM that can hang out with the best and not fall woefully short. GR07 extends well into sub-bass, has a slightly not-so-forward midrange and treble with some sparkle. It has pretty good balance, but it won't be as incredibly fast as BAs or micro-detailed as the CK10s of the world. It sure does fit the all rounder tag very well. It can do EDM to death metal decently well. Though it is far from boring and feels incredible at times, I don't think it's a signature that is very attractive like the 'flawed' FX700 is.

Back