Budget 10-15K Should I wait for Moto G?

pr.itdude

Disciple
My requirements are pretty much like everyone's...

Dual Sim, ~4.5" screen, Good battery life, Hardware good enough for next 1 or 1.5yrs.
And this is what I am stuck at: http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-g-review-321778/

Brands(in no order) : Moto, MMX, Sony, Lenovo, LG
Alternative of Moto G in mind (as of now): http://www.flipkart.com/mobile/comp...6HCBFRERSHF,MOBDN9RGGGZGAUM2,MOBDPU4BFJTSM7VJ

No doubt, Moto G 16 GB is worth money and suits my need but the real Q is actually, Is it worth waiting for this phone or should i make use of OMG sale or GOSF kind of online shopping sale? The current expected Moto G release in India is by Jan 2014.[DOUBLEPOST=1386244330][/DOUBLEPOST]60 views and not even a single comment?
Did i miss something ? :sorry:

Last edited:
You can wait if you want, but if you find a similar deal or a similar spec phone u like..go for it. In 2 weeks, both phones will feel the same to you. :D. Thats just how phones are to me atleast.

A review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R39JKRTQIG7L54

Very good Nexus Light - But with flaws! The overall concept of this smartphone deserves 5 stars, but the Moto G is shipped with a number of bugs and flaws:

1. The recovery has a broken design and does not work (eg factory reset or wipe cache).
2. The notification LED shows no missed calls , only email, sms and WhatsApp .
3. The camera is "in need of improvement" in this price range and direct comparison to Samsung S3 mini or LG Optimus. Strong image noise . Most of the indoor images are blurred.
4. The carrier name can not be removed.
5. The "parsing error" do not allow installing apk files. A factory reset via settings can help in some cases.
6. The battery cover is too tight and has a poor fit. The gap between the cover and the lens frame of my Moto is about 1mm wide at one point.
7. The gradation of the volume is very poorly adapted . Only the last 3 steps are really usable, the others are much too quiet .
8. The sleep mode shows no "Charged"- or "Fully Charged"-icon while charging. The only option is the use of a screen saver (Motorola named this feature "Daydream").
9. The radio can not output sound through the internal speaker (while using headphones as antenna).
10. USB On The Go is not fully integrated into the stock rom . The Moto does not even have its own file browser. OTG works only on third party apps.
11. The buttons on the side do not fit perfectly and rattle, when shaking the device.
12. The strength of the vibration can not be set.
(13. The preinstalled ringtone is a nice joke, but in some situations embarrassing, when not changed.)
14. The built-in camera module mechanic makes an annoying "scratching" sound when opening and closing camera- or flashlight apps.
15. The Google Search (widget at the top) can only permanently removed by a third party launcher. Disabling Google Search, via the normal "Apps" settings, will cause unusable space at the top of the screen.
16. There is no power off safety. When the power button is pressed 7 seconds, the Moto G automatically restarts. You can't transport this phone in your pocket without being concerned about important messages, when you have a pin for the sim card enabled and other things like your wallet in the same pocket.
17. When the device is fully discharged, it may happen that you can not recharge or even boot the Moto with a normal <= 1000mAh charger.

Some of this flaws can be easily corrected but others do look really bad.

Thanx @ayanavish for linking us to this review post. The replies on amazon of this review were also very interesting.
Waiting for more personal reviews...
At the expected price point (~14k INR for 16GB), this is a steal deal (even considering MMX/Lenovo kind phones price)[DOUBLEPOST=1386612191][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can wait if you want, but if you find a similar deal or a similar spec phone u like..go for it. In 2 weeks, both phones will feel the same to you. :D. Thats just how phones are to me atleast.
can you suggest anything better than these ?? (No samsung & xolo/huawei plz)
http://www.flipkart.com/mobile/comp...6HCBFRERSHF,MOBDPU4BFJTSM7VJ,MOBDPMAF823SDHXE

Last edited:
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5486&idPhone2=5462

I have the lenovo A820. Not a fan of MTK chipsets. Its just a phone to keep 2 of my backup connections active. Lenovo feels cheap and bit heavy for my taste even though the construction is not that cheap. WITHOUT ANY CASE. Galaxy Nexus with otterbox case feels lighter or easier to hold than that one. So is the N4. Not comparing my other phones to this, as I don't have them in my hand now. (Note 2, Galaxy Grand, iphone 5).

Screen is good. Touch sensitivity, I am not so happy. But I am used to iOS/Nexus/Note 2 touch which is far superior to this. Screen color and viewing angle is very nice for the price. One thing that made me NOT repent buying this. :D

Stock UI was not my cup of tea. Using the lambda mod.

Camera was surprisingly good. But not comparing to ANY of my other devices. :D

Bit hard to find accessories. but s820 will be ok.

Other than occasional Lag I am satisfied with this one. But then again, I am used to bit "higher" performing phones.

@m-jeri, your review gave me an impression than in that range, MMX phones are much better than lenovo. Obviously, can't compare with the likes of iphone & S4.
Many of my friends have Canvas HD & Canvas 2, and they are absolutely problem free & best in class.

Waiting for Jan to get hands-on moto g.

thanks @ayanavish for the link.
I am not going to buy moto g.
I'm going for some moto droid series phone now.

Moto-G is a budget handset and should have great community support once the handset becomes available in other parts of the world. Most problems mentioned by the gentleman at Amazon would be fixed by a custom ROM or CM.

Back