PC Peripherals Should I buy a Dell S2290WA now, or can I wait for some time?

Hello. I joined these forums a couple of days ago, so please excuse me if I make any mistakes...

I am about to build my own desktop computer in December - after about 6 years. Yes, you read that right - my current home computer is six years old with 256 MB SD-RAM (I upgraded from 128 MB about two years ago), and an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (I don't even remember that correctly). So, I hope you get what my old rig is like :)

Anyway, I have waited almost seven months for Intel's Lynnfield, AMD's Evergreen and Microsoft's Windows 7 to come out so that I can build my rig using them.

Satan, a member of these forums is running an IC for a Dell S2209WA monitor. I really want that monitor for my new setup. Now, my current computer won't support any resolution above 1024 x 768, and if I buy that monitor now, it will simply gather dust at home since I can't use it.

My question is this - Do you recommend that I hold off buying the monitor until December when I will finally build my new PC? I am not too concerned about the price, but I have heard somewhere that Dell often indulges in unethical practices such as selling IPS monitors initially until they get good reviews, but quietly changing the panel to something else and selling it as the same model for the same price. Is this true? If it is, then do you really recommend that I buy the monitor now? Please let me know.

Since you are already eyeing Evergreen why not go full HD? From the look of it, at 1680, that card will be under utilized. Go for U2410...

From what I read on the Internet, Evergreen will be out of my budget :ashamed:

However, I think prices of today's premium cards will reduce once Evergreen is out, putting them well within my reach.

I am not building an "ultimate gaming machine", but I intend to get a decent mid-range system. My budget is 55K including the monitor (I won't be buying speakers or a sound card). I hope that will be a good enough system to play GTA IV :eek:hyeah:

By the way, the last time I spent this much time pondering over my computer was way back in 1998 - when I spent Rs 17,000/- on an Asus Riva TNT2 graphics card with a whooping 32 MB of GDRAM!

My current computer belonged to my wife (who was then my girlfriend), and wasn't built by me.

I hope that building a PC after 11 years will be fun! It sure has been catching up on all the technological advances that have happened while I was 'away'.

I bought mine in '99 -- HP Brio, p3 450mhz with 64 mb sdram. it'll still doing very well (though gaming is strictly out of its scope), with a ram upgrade to 256 mb. ( :eek:hyeah: any buyers?)

why don't you go for a dell s2409w? that's what i'm planning. Full HD with HDMI support.

But if your target's december, makes sense to hold off. A better product may be launched, or prices may come down.

naru80 said:
why don't you go for a dell s2409w? that's what i'm planning. Full HD with HDMI support.

oops, s2409w's a TN panel

I've read monitor reviews here on TE, and everyone loves Dell. I am particularly interested in the S2209WA as it is an IPS panel. If it comes down to buying TN panels, I'll probably look at other brands...

why would your computer NOT support any resolution above 1024x768?

you can use the new monitors analog input to attach it to your VGA port on your system. Update the driver and you can use it in its native resolution.

Edit: you don't need to wait till december for buying a monitor, but for buying the rest of the system, its best to wait till december.

If you are looking for a 22 incher and not concerned about the price, go ahead and buy it. I have this monitor and i am very much satisfied with it. Full HD for a 22" is just a marketing gimmick. The image quality is very good compared other TN panels. No lag while playing games aswell.

If you want to invest in a bigger screen, then go for something else.

If you are going to buy monitor now and will be keeping it......NO point in buying it now.

buy it when you build your whole new system. In that period we may get some price drop and may be some new better monitors will come to market.

+1 monitor prices will come down so u can buy the monitor when u buy the system mabbe u may b able 2 get a 24 inch ips panel for 17 k by then worth waiting till then with u r old system n monitor

Back