Shop and Ship is now on Techenclave to assist you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiryadav

Adept
Apr 18, 2011
Lucknow(U.P)
so in my case, total custom access able value= 129$(@55.50) +landing charges + shipping = 7195+ 86.72 + 1512.44 =8758.86.

custom duty for electronic items is 28.89% custom access able value. so, 2527 INR custom duty. + 100 rupees broker charge for paying and clearing the package from customs.= 2627 INR.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

If they are charging 700 for shipment weighing 2.17 Lbs then that's great price i hope they are the normal rates ?

bro i like SNS.i never imported from them,i just used the calculator they provided to calculate the estimated value of the shipment we have to pay using their service.
i will try them soon.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

If they are charging 700 for shipment weighing 2.17 Lbs then that's great price i hope they are the normal rates ?
also note that this is the shipping you pay if YOU PURCHASE THROUGH THEM.
if you USE THEIR MAILING SERVICE or FORWARDING SERVICE only ,the charges are way higher than SNS.

rdst_1

Skilled
May 10, 2009
I dont like ICC because they use volumetric weight instead of actual weight. So if the person you bought it from packs a really light thing in a big box you end up paying a lot more than you would have expected. If you use their service for payment as well as shipping then you are in the safe as even though if the seller ships it in a large box they will repack your stuff in a smaller box because they have already given you a quote and/or taken payment from you.

John4321

Adept
May 5, 2012
shopandship really cheats a lot. I ordered 1keyboard & 1 mouse from my friend in US through 2 ways 1 through S&S and the other through normal post office. So these ppl charged customs + shipping 4000 Rs for 1 keyboard and 1 mouse. And in the same way My 4 other keyboards came through normal post office in 1 single box without any custom charges and I juz had to pay 800 Rs for shipping.

samiryadav

Adept
Apr 18, 2011
Lucknow(U.P)
shopandship really cheats a lot. I ordered 1keyboard & 1 mouse from my friend in US through 2 ways 1 through S&S and the other through normal post office. So these ppl charged customs + shipping 4000 Rs for 1 keyboard and 1 mouse. And in the same way My 4 other keyboards came through normal post office in 1 single box without any custom charges and I juz had to pay 800 Rs for shipping.

Bro,
i will say they may be slow,but they NEVER EVER CHEATS ANYONE.
they cleared lots of my shipment duty free.
it completely depends on the custom officer.it is not in their hands.they try to clear packages duty free,but there is inspection of packages.
in case the custom officer notices it that declared value of the package not fair,he detains the shipment until proper invoice is provided or they calculate custom duty on assess-able value ( value of good + shipping + insurance + landing charges).

it is luck that sometimes a 200$ value shipment gets cleared without custom duty and sometimes a 50 $ shipment is charged heavy duty.
i can assure you even if you paid the duty,they have record of original custom bills which they will provide you on request.
and also you can check that your shipment would have been charged custom duty according to the invoice you provided to them.

pratikb

Skilled
Mar 2, 2011
Bro,
it completely depends on the custom officer.it is not in their hands.they try to clear packages duty free,but there is inspection of packages.
in case the custom officer notices it that declared value of the package not fair,he detains the shipment until proper invoice is provided or they calculate custom duty on assess-able value ( value of good + shipping + insurance + landing charges).

it is luck that sometimes a 200$ value shipment gets cleared without custom duty and sometimes a 50 $ shipment is charged heavy duty.
i can assure you even if you paid the duty,they have record of original custom bills which they will provide you on request.
and also you can check that your shipment would have been charged custom duty according to the invoice you provided to them.

I agree with samir and shop and ship never cheat anyone.
all their dealings are fair and whatever we have to pay.we get legal invoice.
dont ever say they are cheaters.

in fact if you compare to Icc world et al.,this SNS is most professional and transparent.

pratikb

Skilled
Mar 2, 2011
we always get legal invoices for all customs duty and never pay anything which is not paid .

kuduku

Skilled
Dec 9, 2007
How much more transparent they can be when they are attaching original custom invoice and duty paid in your account . You can check that , not like other companies who will take the duty irrespective of whether they have paid it or not

shopnshipindia

Disciple
Feb 8, 2011
www.shopandship.com
Thanks for the post Samir:)
Bro,

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the post pratik:)
I agree with samir and shop and ship never cheat anyone.
all their dealings are fair and whatever we have to pay.we get legal invoice.
dont ever say they are cheaters.

in fact if you compare to Icc world et al.,this SNS is most professional and transparent.

- - - Updated - - -

HI John
Please send us the AWb numbers . will have it checked.[
ideally if you have sent us the invoices, ut would have been cleared accordingly
also, the postal sevices and a foreading company cannot really be compared, as the processes are different
Regards
QUOTE=John4321;1694372]shopandship really cheats a lot. I ordered 1keyboard & 1 mouse from my friend in US through 2 ways 1 through S&S and the other through normal post office. So these ppl charged customs + shipping 4000 Rs for 1 keyboard and 1 mouse. And in the same way My 4 other keyboards came through normal post office in 1 single box without any custom charges and I juz had to pay 800 Rs for shipping.[/QUOTE]

sharktale1212

Skilled
May 27, 2008
While I find their proactive-ness in asking for invoice/payment proof. Their site creates confusion. My package shows forwarded to Bombay. Yet to arrive but the customs already done/calculated. ???? How is that possible. Seems they are bit slow in updating their site as well.

May 5, 2010
New Delhi
While I find their proactive-ness in asking for invoice/payment proof. Their site creates confusion. My package shows forwarded to Bombay. Yet to arrive but the customs already done/calculated. ???? How is that possible. Seems they are bit slow in updating their site as well.

Tell me a shipping / courier service , that isnt ?
Its the way it is dude . The main thing is , that the parcel reaches you safely .
I am less worried about my parcel coming from US / UK via SnS than one coming from any indian place :S

sharktale1212

Skilled
May 27, 2008
Tell me a shipping / courier service , that isnt ?
Its the way it is dude . The main thing is , that the parcel reaches you safely .
I am less worried about my parcel coming from US / UK via SnS than one coming from any indian place :S
Well turns out things were even worse. They asked me for an invoice but once the parcel was delivered I found there was one already inside. In turn they estimated their own value. It cost me 600 more custom than expected.

May 5, 2010
New Delhi
Well turns out things were even worse. They asked me for an invoice but once the parcel was delivered I found there was one already inside. In turn they estimated their own value. It cost me 600 more custom than expected.

Yes they don't take the value on the bill , else people would be able to understate the value to save customs very easily .
they take the value that is the product selling at , or its marked price .
Whatever it maybe , it's not at all worse . Worse would be you getting a damaged product :p
Also why are you blaming SnS , if your worry is about customs :S

sharktale1212

Skilled
May 27, 2008
Yes they don't take the value on the bill , else people would be able to understate the value to save customs very easily .
they take the value that is the product selling at , or its marked price .
Whatever it maybe , it's not at all worse . Worse would be you getting a damaged product :p
Also why are you blaming SnS , if your worry is about customs :S
Wait what?!! They don't take value on the bill (invoice), then I am confused :confused1: why where they asking me for it? If they want to do their valuation why bother then with people. We will just take advantage of gullible SnS with "understated" bill.

Thats just BS. Not everyone buys from China where people are more than eager on gift/understated value.

The point I made in the previous post was, there was an invoice inside. Value marked by even SnS was less than the final assessed value. Heck, even the selling price was well short (recently reduced by the distributor), would've saved me another 400 in customs.

Reason I am blaming SnS is quite simple. They act as a broker on my behalf while clearing goods and they aren't doing a good job. Points to be be noted:
- They ask me invoice (for god knows what reason, inspite of one being inside). They tell me the goods will held at customs without invoice.
- I say I'm fine with it, there might be some delay procuring the invoice. They are ok with it. Website shows "shipment sent to Dubai", I send the inovice. I am told product has been cleared custom (how? as per SnS there was no invoice and it should have been held). I am okay with whatever has been charged.
- I receive the package and it seems I have been charged more. Above the invoice, list price.

Just shoddy and pathetic work at SnS end.

May 5, 2010
New Delhi
Wait what?!! They don't take value on the bill (invoice), then I am confused :confused1: why where they asking me for it? If they want to do their valuation why bother then with people. We will just take advantage of gullible SnS with "understated" bill.

Thats just BS. Not everyone buys from China where people are more than eager on gift/understated value.

The point I made in the previous post was, there was an invoice inside. Value marked by even SnS was less than the final assessed value. Heck, even the selling price was well short (recently reduced by the distributor), would've saved me another 400 in customs.

Reason I am blaming SnS is quite simple. They act as a broker on my behalf while clearing goods and they aren't doing a good job. Points to be be noted:
- They ask me invoice (for god knows what reason, inspite of one being inside). They tell me the goods will held at customs without invoice.
- I say I'm fine with it, there might be some delay procuring the invoice. They are ok with it. Website shows "shipment sent to Dubai", I send the inovice. I am told product has been cleared custom (how? as per SnS there was no invoice and it should have been held). I am okay with whatever has been charged.
- I receive the package and it seems I have been charged more. Above the invoice, list price.

Just shoddy and pathetic work at SnS end.

You understand that nothing of Customs is coming in or going out of SnS's Pocket , right ?
Why do you then expect them to Try to save you from customs . All i am saying is , If you are charged More (Which i am not denying at all) It is because of the Custom Babus of india and Not SnS . So Stop bashing them :D . And a Simple Rule , Dont Like it ? Don't buy it :D
There Are Other USA TO India Shipment Forwarding facilities . You can use them instead . I Can't Take the names as it may hurt SnS's Business But You can always google .

As Far i as i am concerned . I Am very pleased with SnS till now , Hope they won't let me down . :D

PS : Although there's 1 Thing @SnS - You should really reduce the registration price back to 5$ . Or maybe even free for TE users . I Think a major chunk of your business is due to us :D

sharktale1212

Skilled
May 27, 2008
You understand that nothing of Customs is coming in or going out of SnS's Pocket , right ?
Why do you then expect them to Try to save you from customs . All i am saying is , If you are charged More (Which i am not denying at all) It is because of the Custom Babus of india and Not SnS . So Stop bashing them :D . And a Simple Rule , Dont Like it ? Don't buy it :D
There Are Other USA TO India Shipment Forwarding facilities . You can use them instead . I Can't Take the names as it may hurt SnS's Business But You can always google .

As Far i as i am concerned . I Am very pleased with SnS till now , Hope they won't let me down . :D

PS : Although there's 1 Thing @SnS - You should really reduce the registration price back to 5$ . Or maybe even free for TE users . I Think a major chunk of your business is due to us :D
Spoken like a true Indian. If I pay 100 as a broker fee why should someone try to do good for me. Let them present me on a plate ready to be robbed. I should rather feel obliged, right? And We wonder whats wrong with our country.

If you don't mind can I send you my bank details? You can send me 100 bucks I pay for SnS broker service. I'll pay the bloated custom duty (Indian babu's part), just don't want to pay for SnS' suck up service. They can't claim no fault if they are charging me for a service. Do it right, if not then don't blame it elsewhere.
BTW, really like your fanboy-ish tone. I used "other" FPO services. Hadn't used SnS for over 8 months and they called me asking for my business.

rdst_1

Skilled
May 10, 2009
Spoken like a true Indian. If I pay 100 as a broker fee why should someone try to do good for me. Let them present me on a plate ready to be robbed. I should rather feel obliged, right? And We wonder whats wrong with our country.

If you don't mind can I send you my bank details? You can send me 100 bucks I pay for SnS broker service. I'll pay the bloated custom duty (Indian babu's part), just don't want to pay for SnS' suck up service. They can't claim no fault if they are charging me for a service. Do it right, if not then don't blame it elsewhere.
BTW, really like your fanboy-ish tone. I used "other" FPO services. Hadn't used SnS for over 8 months and they called me asking for my business.

You need to get one thing straight.
The Rs.100 which are broker charges are not for them getting the shipment cleared from customs. It is for getting the shipment cleared under 'their import license'.
They ask for the invoice so that they can produce that in front of the custom authorities. After that it is the wish of those babus at the customs office to whether agree to the declared value or declare a value of their own based on the market price of the goods in this country.
For example when i bought an iPhone 4s for Rs. 33000 from abroad, the customs people still charged custom duty on Rs. 43000 which was the MRP of the phone in India.

SNS are very transparent in this regard as they provide you with the copy of the custom receipt and you can see for yourself what customs were charged. For example in the sheet i got, SNS had declared the value as 33000 and the custom officials had cut that out and written 43000 instead.

I have also received a package via Fedex and not only the shipping was astronomical($80 for <1.5kg), but their broker charges were also Rs. 300.

varkey

Skilled
Sep 8, 2006
Bengaluru / Cochin
www.varkey.in
I've stopped using SnS and moved to ICC and their prices and service is much better than SnS. In case of SnS, there were delays most of the time, excess duty charged. Although all issues get rectified eventually, its not really a smooth experience.

Whereas in case of ICC, 99% of the time the package reaches Mumbai on the 3rd day once its shipped from NY. And the duty amount is 100% predictable, they don't provide you the original BOE, but as long as its per the standard rates I am fine with it. Plus the local delivery is through BlueDart which means next day delivery in most cases, Aramex's local delivery is pretty screwed up.

If you go for their ShopAbroad service the rates are almost 40% lesser than SnS' rates.

Punker

Skilled
Apr 29, 2008
Bhopal (M.P.)
I'm thinking to get iPhone 5 from the UK. Can anybody please tell me how much customs will I be charged as price of i5 is 529 pounds = 47.5k. What will be the final price for me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.