Sharing network to 3rd flr. from ground flr. (35-40 Ft.)

Hey guys,

My family and my brother-in-law live in the same apartment complex but my BIL stays on the 3rd floor where as we live on the ground floor.

Problem: My BIL wants to use my wifi internet at his home and i need some help in sharing my internet connection with him.

The wifi signals from my router cannot penetrate inside his living room, he only gets 1 or 2 bars near the window, so i was thinking of buying a better antenna like this : http://www.dealextre...-n-female-25292

Or else, i can run a RJ-45 cable from my window to the window at his home, But the problem here is i need to transmit signals from RJ-45 wirelessly, Is it possible using a router?

Or is there a better option? Please help me out. There's an image for reference.

2hoyauw.jpg

And how do i do that? I thought a router transmits wifi from a DSL line.

Just get a wireless router, connect the LAN cable to one of the 4 LAN ports of the router, disable the DHCP server of new router. Set the IP of the new router in the same range of your existing network.

So you will be able to share files and internet with your brother in law. Basically extends your existing network.

Yeah just put the second wifi router in AP only mode and connect it via RJ 45,

This needs a crossover cable right guys ? or straight will do ?

Or use a router which functions as a repeater wirelessly. I am using the Asus RT13N to boost my wifi range and it works great. Here is an image of how the network gets boosted.

The blue deepakvrao is from the main router, and the red is the boosted signal.

SC20120318-183503.jpeg

Sorry, re read it and see it is an apt complex. Are the floors in between part of your families? For the wireless thing to work, you would need to place the repeater somewhere in between.

but isnt an access point a suitable solution in this case ?

If your existing router supports WDS mode, enable it. Buy another WDS capable router and enable WDS client mode. Disable DHCP and give a static ip for management other than your existing router and the DHCP pool. Locate the existing wifi signal at 3'rd floor from the WDS client mode configuration and you are done. Transparent and Wireless range extension !!

^^ thank you mate. But i have a doubt. The difference between a switch and an access point is the former lacks DHCP capability and the later equips it. Is it so ?

I have an adsl wifi router connected to my wifi router. But i have not disabled DHCP in the wifi router . Now i have connected 3 clients to the wifi router. Now i am able to access other PCs only if i connect to the wifi router. If i connect to the adsl wifi router, i can only access internet but not the other clients (which are connected to the wifi router ).

My adsl wifi router and wifi router have different gateway IPs. Now if i disable DHCP in the wifi router, will i get the same range of IP for the other computers and so will i be able to access the other clients via the adsl wifi router ?

^^ thank you mate. But i have a doubt. The difference between a switch and an access point is the former lacks DHCP capability and the later equips it. Is it so ?
I have an adsl wifi router connected to my wifi router. But i have not disabled DHCP in the wifi router . Now i have connected 3 clients to the wifi router. Now i am able to access other PCs only if i connect to the wifi router. If i connect to the adsl wifi router, i can only access internet but not the other clients (which are connected to the wifi router ).

My adsl wifi router and wifi router have different gateway IPs. Now if i disable DHCP in the wifi router, will i get the same range of IP for the other computers and so will i be able to access the other clients via the adsl wifi router ?

1) Switch and Access Points are used for Layer 2 connections over different physical media. DHCP is not the key differentiator between them.

2) If you have 2 wifi routers, of which one has ADSL connection, use the one without ADSL as a repeater bridge and enable DHCP only in the router which has ADSL. You have to wire the 2 routers as specified in the router configuration manual for this mode. Without knowing the make and model of your routers a more detail answer is not possible.

3) See the above answer.

Why do you have different gateways for your routers ? Ideally your wifi router should be set to some kind of bridged mode which it supports.

The reason for having different gateway is to restrict access to hosts. The ADSL wifi router is used for internet only which is guest access and the wifi router is used for internet and access to hosts...

Back