Share your Vista XPerience

Well, Vista is available to most of us with an unlimited internet connection...so out curiosity i got myself a copy of Vista Enterprise edition to see what all the hype was about.

First, i used vlite and removed a lot of cr@p (abt 3GB), then went on to install Vista.

Installation was smooth,and much quicker than XP. Soon Vista booted for the first time on my ill-fated computer :mad:.

The interface was good looking,i was very happy to see the change from the same XP theme for abt 4 years. I turned on "the much discussed" AERO theme....and liked the transitions,glowy buttons,and transparent borders.

after browsing for a while, i decided to install some software, and by chance of fate, my adobe acrobat 8 installation got stuck midway, so i had to terminate it. Now, acrobat wont install until i deleted the files of previous installation. And then i faced the worst time of my PC browsing history. In order to enhace security, Vista has a User account Control , which gives permissions for each group of users (M$ go that one of Linux, anyways, root>system) And thats where i realised what sh!t Vista is. Stupid thing, it took me an hour to understand wtf this permission is..and even then i couldnt manage to alter the permission in order to delete the files which i wanted to. I just couldnt get the folder to save my preferences...always got an error flashing on the screen. I gave up for the day but the same story was to repeat next day.I tried turning USer Acc Control off, but that was useless. Everytime i run a program(or a windows service)i get an annoying msg that i click without asking for confirmation which i dismiss without seeing (this one is really irritating)

and oh wtf, my memory usage was almost double than that in XP.

And then i came across reading security flaws in IE7 and Vista itself. Now whats the damn use? XP is better, cleaner and easier to use. By trying to make it look better and easier to access, M$ have made it overcomplicated and confusing. Only thing that i found cool were the looks, but modded XP looks much better anyday.:no:

-Here's the summary-

+'s

1)Seriously speaking,none,specially for a development env.

2)Better security(maybe) but at the cost of user friendliness and ease of use.

-'s

1)Over complicated

2)Looks secure but in the end, you know it isnt.

3)Nothing which makes it look like its been worked arnd for 5 years

4)Too many to list here

In the end, my rating for Vista = 2/5

Do try it, and then you'll love XP again :tongue:

PS:These are MY views based upon my EXPERIENCE, you ppl may be having very different views (i hope you do, its sad to see something good come to a bad climax).Plz do share them here

Its just too early to use vista. As with any s/w only time can test it. Till then our old xp is good enough. I dont like to switch platform till atleast 1 program/game refuses to work on older platform. Had win98 as my secondary boot till MS stopped support for it.

1 out of 5
may change the result after Dx10 Games, for which we have to wait another year after the OS actually releases.

Well there is an easy setting to disable the security warning. I turned mine off in seconds. Windows 98 used less memory than XP, Vista of course uses more as it has more processes running to make system faster. You have background services like better indexing which are at work. Of course we went from 64 mb to 128mb in Windows 98, with XP users moved from 256 to 512 MB and now most have 1024 MB. In Vista its advisable to have 2048 of Memory to run all eye candy features, else you can simply disable them. Its the normal evolution.
There is more to vista than mere eye candy. It takes time getting used to the new control pannel and shit. But Vista is not just a eye candy job from MS that you can do by modding your XP, microsoft has spent billions of dollars on this OS, its whole tcp/ip stack is totally different than XP. There is loads under the hood that you dont even realize right now. It of course takes time for microsoft to smoothen Vista and also for users to get used to the new UI and have machines that meet the hardware criteria to enjoy the true experience of Vista. Vista is here to stay and its for good. Let things settle down a bit before reaching a premature conclusion.

yeah man as techcheat said, there'e much more to vista than just its new UI and graphics....but many softwares till refuse to work on vista 'cos its in its nascent stages

1 / 5 here from me!

my experience with vista ultimate was good but not that good.

+'s:

1) virus attacks will reduce considerably - it does not allow exe files to run without permission

2.) search feature is good and fast

3.) user interface is cool - i loved it but i can do without it!

4.) folder navigation is easier

-'s:

1) no custom installation options - i need more control on what i'm installing. I dont want extra apps which vista seems to force on the user.

2.) windows media center could be better - not as fast or smooth as in media center edition. its also buggy a bit. my mc could not play divx files even when vista come preloaded with mpeg4 codecs!

3.) memory hog - the more memory u have the more it takes

4.) security permissions r a pain

some more which i dont remember.

i would upgrade only after about 2 service packs are released for vista.

till then i will use xp x64.

virus attacks will reduce considerably - it does not allow exe files to run without permission

Works only if you know what you are running...

Half knowledge is dangerous .

Even now you have security warnings for active x controls , but you have people installing that left right and center . Its not helping unless the people themselves are more computer literate .

techcheat said:
Well there is an easy setting to disable the security warning. I turned mine off in seconds.

LOL, thats what i m talking abt....it irritates so much that you have to disable it ...then how will it help to protect your system :p

abt the indexing service....yeah the search feature is nice but you have to index most of the folders manually to get faster responses...

\/endett/\ said:
LOL, thats what i m talking abt....it irritates so much that you have to disable it ...then how will it help to protect your system :p

abt the indexing service....yeah the search feature is nice but you have to index most of the folders manually to get faster responses...

^^ One can have multiple users on an office or home pc. I might want to limit what my younger brother could do/install on my system and deny him rights via user control. At the same time I could disable my warnings from the control panel as I would want full control of my system.

Another issue thats been talked about is memory.... its just a simple analogy, memory rerequirements for Windows 95 < Windows 98 < Windows ME < Windows XP < Windows Vista....

So again, till the time we have the right hardware for Windows vista, we cant enjoy the true experience. 2 GB RAM is minimum and not much is gained going 4 GB. Lastly the start menu of XP is different than 98, but we could do the Classic Menu, same with Vista, the UI is different but we could switch to the Class View.

And to reiterate again, there is a lost more to Vista than just UI. Microsoft didnt spend billions of dollars on research and development of Vista just to give us an Aero Glass theme. Google a bit and you would find amount some amazing features of Vista's internal architecture.

techcheat said:
^^ One can have multiple users on an office or home pc. I might want to limit what my younger brother could do/install on my system and deny him rights via user control. At the same time I could disable my warnings from the control panel as I would want full control of my system.

OMG, if u are gonna limit ppl's rights in that way they'll sue u :p....it just bugs a lot. Linux has a simple system-Root or not. Root has all the authority, but here, these flashy warnings are more of an annoyance, and ppl are gonna just click them without even reading what each pop-up has to say.

VISTA is the future & just like Win98 when Microsoft & developers stop supporting XP we will have to move to VISTA... good or bad but we will.... Also it will take atleast two years when RAM prices will drop further & we start getting 2 gigs min....

Most users would remember that when WinXP was released, one ditterent was RAM requirement since most had only 128 & some had 256MB... but since most developers scrapped Win98 along with Microsoft we moved to XP & min. requirement for any system went to 512 MB RAM.. so this is not the time to move to VISTA & certainly not the time to gripe.... Hold on to XP for another two years or move to VISTA if you can afford all that RAM 'coz eventually we will all be moving to VISTA....

Back