Storage Solutions Segate 500 Gb went kaput in One and half months

coolpepe

Disciple
I got 500 GB Segate one and half month ago and yesterday when i started my pc the HD went kaput and did not show in the bios. The platter is spinning but it is not getting detected. I had more than 300 gb of movies, photographs, muzik and software on that. I am really frustrated and now am couriering it back to the dealer. :S

Nope i dont have net connection at home. But i update the antivirus using my youngers GPRS connection. Though i have a lease line of 2 mbs at office.
@SidhuPunjab i checked few other sata cables but to no effect.

Oppps hard luck there - Hdd's go off at the wrong time , i hope u have a backup of ur stuff.....if ur hdd is spinning up and u are ready to void warranty and get all ur stuff back u can try swapping the pcb from another hdd of the same model and check it out.......

this thread will be interesting to know - how and why - high speed internet can cause the hdd to go kaput :Confused:

Thanks hanzy but i have sent it to the dealer and he said he will try to put the PCB from new drive and then check it and if it is ok then he will send me otherwise i will get a new one. I have not backed up all my data, so it will be a great loss to me if the HD will not work even eith the new PCB. I m keeping my fingers crossed.

High speed internet and using bittorent...

Reason : Bittorent writes small chunks of data on ur HDD (very fast) and with high speed internet this becomes all to insane, your HDDs will die sooner or latter if you haven't configured a large cache size for your torrent client before it writes data to the HDD

ultra vires said:
High speed internet and using bittorent...
Reason : Bittorent writes small chunks of data on ur HDD (very fast) and with high speed internet this becomes all to insane, your HDDs will die sooner or latter if you haven't configured a large cache size for your torrent client before it writes data to the HDD

This is interesting , this may be the issue why my 40gig crapped out last week.......care to share the correct settings that should be used under Advanced > Disk Cache option in Utorr. Never saw the option about this before reading this thread , this can surely save a lot of hdd's here.....

No idea about torrents but I have experienced HDDs developing bad sectors due to constant high speed transfers through LAN ( around 5-10mbps).

Some of my HDDs went kaput in a night when my PC was on and data was being continuously transferred at speeds of 5-10mbps. Not only restricted to large capacity drives but also smaller ones.

well it didn't happen with the old 80 GB IDEs.... I had a DC++ hub running from my college computer 24/7...... shared 40 gb and continuous data transfers happened all the time.... not a single failure happened for 3 years....

Isn't the same quality HDDs available now....

I think it all matters on luck. Sometimes if u r lucky u will get a HDD that will work for years and the other one wont even work for a few months.

Many of us would like to know what cache size one should keep ideally .. I don't know what assumption you make to set cache size - the maximum number of pieces that the torrent client writes at one time ? It would be helpful if some learned one enlightens us on this. Downloading through torrents fragments your drive - is what I have known for long, but these extremes for high speed connections is a little unnerving. I have a 2 Mbps Tata Indicom connection BTW.

Thanks,

Mallik

ranjitpai said:
No idea about torrents but I have experienced HDDs developing bad sectors due to constant high speed transfers through LAN ( around 5-10mbps).

Some of my HDDs went kaput in a night when my PC was on and data was being continuously transferred at speeds of 5-10mbps. Not only restricted to large capacity drives but also smaller ones.

That's strange.I have done such high speed data transfers for like 6 months without any issues on my Hitachi 250GB drive.When I had my HUB working properly I used to download & upload @8-10MB/ps.But this is still a rather interesting concept for Bit torrent downloads causing HDD's to corrupt.I had just got my WD 320G replaced recently & guess what that was my main download destination drive for all my Bit Torrent & FTP downloads.It may just be a coincidence but still would like to know more about it.BTW I am on a 2Mbps line from MTNL.

Hdds quality has declined over the years...

Witnessed my 8gb drive to live through 5 years and my 80gb fail thrice in span of 2 years..

Will write a guide on HDD wear out while using bittorrent in a few hours and post it here :)

@ Ethan_hunt

Yes even I have done such transfers but have had a bad experience. Also when more people download different stuff from the same HDD imagine the plight of the reading head. And not to mention continuous transfer at such rate makes the HDD hot. Maybe my cabinet wasnt providing good cooling back then.

@ultra_vires

certainly quality has declined as i said my IDE drives have seen many SATAs come and go but it still remains rock solid.

ranjitpai said:
@ Ethan_hunt
Yes even I have done such transfers but have had a bad experience. Also when more people download different stuff from the same HDD imagine the plight of the reading head. And not to mention continuous transfer at such rate makes the HDD hot. Maybe my cabinet wasnt providing good cooling back then.
I have to agree it makes it hot as an fresh baked cake.Also back then when I started out it was peak summer season & also it was in a place where the cooling was not an option at all.That was carelessness on my part but thank god it has sustained beautifully till now.:)

Hdds quality has declined over the years...
+ Gazillion.
That is a thing which puzzles me most of the times.I fail to understand how my friend's 7 years old 40GB IDE drive is still very much alive & kicking whereas my 320GB WD HDD went kaput in mere 5 months.:huh:

The technology has progressed but at the cost of the quality of the hardware built which is a sad thing to see.Also it's sometimes the luck factor.:p

Also newer and bigger drives run hotter than the older PATA drives. My 80GB(4+ yrs) is running great and idles at 27C :eek:, my 250gb hitachi idles at 38C....

Back