Storage Solutions Seagate OEM Drives awareness

madnav said:
both are under warranty.
one of tem even has a registered Distri.
but Accel wont accept as the OEM thing is present on both the drives.

i will be contacting the distri directly now as sandy has confirmed that the drives by that distri are accepted in banglore by accel.
will see if that helps and update this thread.
ok

madnav said:
when i had contacted seagate regarding my 500GB, i had also asked them whether seagate has any control over market and whether OEM products are to be sold at retail. im disappointed by the way seagate has ignored each and every query of mine over that issue.
They can't control what their buyers do with the drives after. They would like to sell as many bulk orders to OEM's as possible. As they would provide their own warranties for the whole system.

What i'm unsure about is when those systems are cannabalised and parts sold seperately. Is the OEM responsible or not ? we will know soon enough.

AFAICT Seagate still don't have to honor anything as the relieved themselves of that responsibility the moment the OEM's took the drives from them.

blr_p said:
ok

They can't control what their buyers do with the drives after. They would like to sell as many bulk orders to OEM's as possible. As they would provide their own warranties for the whole system.

What i'm unsure about is when those systems are cannabalised and parts sold seperately. Is the OEM responsible or not ? we will know soon enough.

AFAICT Seagate still don't have to honor anything as the relieved themselves of that responsibility the moment the OEM's took the drives from them.
actually many manufacturer's put restrictions on their OEM stuff, like where is it to be used and how it is to be sold.. mostly a part of the system and not separately.

would every seller/distributor in town rather opt for OEM drives and sell them the way they want if there was no such restriction?

in any case, customers are getting less than what they have been promised.

madnav said:
actually many manufacturer's put restrictions on their OEM stuff, like where is it to be used and how it is to be sold.. mostly a part of the system and not separately.
They do but there isn't much enforcement is there. After all there is always the risk that OEM's could go to someone else in that case. Unless you have a vendor with a majority share in the pie those restrictions are just on paper for the most part with lots of leeway.

In the end the game is to sell HDD's.

madnav said:
would every seller/distributor in town rather opt for OEM drives and sell them the way they want if there was no such restriction?
How to explain your findings that there are quite a few others with OEM drives than expected ?

madnav said:
in any case, customers are getting less than what they have been promised.
Most certainly :(

Holy shit just now checked my HDD its also a OEM i have been cheated.The warranty validation on seagate site says i have warranty till june 2013(no distributor mentioned either)--My drive is sleeping in a box waiting to be rma(bad sectors)What should i do?.

i purchased 30 pcs of 500 GB hdd (ST3500320AS) in february 2009 from radington india limited, kolkata branch.all of them are oem drive.still today no problem occur on replacement.

i think you purchased a paralal imported hard drive.

sam000 said:
Holy shit just now checked my HDD its also a OEM i have been cheated.The warranty validation on seagate site says i have warranty till june 2013(no distributor mentioned either)--My drive is sleeping in a box waiting to be rma(bad sectors)What should i do?.
as mentioned in the 1st post,

the issue can be solved if you have the proof of purchase.

you just have to bring that to the notice of your dealer who sold you that drive. Explain him the issue, tell him seagate wont accept the drive since it is imported via different channel. However, that is not your concern sisnce you paid for a retail drive which should come with 5yrs warranty directly via seagate and not via dealer/oem route as in this case.

manu1991 said:
^^ Seagate retail drives come with 5 year warranties ? Mine says 3 years .
the seagate drives manufactured in 2010 carry 3yr warranty.

it is 5yr for drives with manufacturing before 2010.

I don't think any of the Hard drives sold in India are proper retail drives. A retail HDD comes in a retail Box with brand logo, specs and CD with the disk management software and possibly a SATA cable as well.

These are examples of retail packing

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST315005N4A1AS-RK 1.5TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Newegg.com - HITACHI Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K (0S00164) 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JBRTL 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 3.5" Hard Drive

I am not sure whether the HDD we get in India qualify to be called retail. They may not all be OEM drives, but they are definitely not retail drives either. I think the distributors get the HDD in volumes from the manufacturers rather than getting retail units. So keeping proof of purchase is always a good idea.

I bought that 500GB seagate 2 yrs ago but the dealer gave me a 10 series drive instead of the 11 series---so returned the drive the next day and got the 11 series.Just now saw that my bill shows the 10 series SL NO and not the serial no. of my 11 series :(.I need to get my bill updated :no:

Lord Nemesis said:
I don't think any of the Hard drives sold in India are proper retail drives. A retail HDD comes in a retail Box with brand logo, specs and CD with the disk management software and possibly a SATA cable as well.
Exactly , i was wondering why we don't get SATA cables with the drive .

it may not be a proper retail package..but what im trying to say is that it is something that they advertise..like the stuff about the warranty and specs when they mention a product..but we dont get all of that when we have been handed over an OEM drive after having paid for a retail (kind of) drive.

anyways..

i have tried sending the 250GB drive again for rma, will know the status again in a few days.

Back