Storage Solutions SATA RAID controller PCI card

My motherboard does not have a RAID controller built in.

Is an external PCI RAID controller available in market using which I can do a RAID for my SATA drives

My mobo has 4 sata ports, will this card also increase the sata ports I have available?

additional card wud just add funtionality ... without interrupting or changing ur onboard i/o controller ... but some cards cause uncertain boot up problems with mobo and raid card bios ... but this is rare now afaik ...

although it is advised to buy a Raid card rather than an onboard ... due to performance concerns ... if u wanna buy sasta and a pretty nice card ... look into ebay US or any other merchant selling second hand i/o controller with an onboard I/O processor ( higly recommended ) ... look for PCI-E x1/x4 or PCI-X if ur mobo got one of those slots ( mostly found on workstation and server class mobo,s ) ...

Don,t spend on a mobo with onbaord raid solution , buy a dedicated

solution ----- one of ma many mistakes ... :(

If u wanna buy locally ... get any cheap ... but that won,t offer any great nice performance ... imho ... afaik ...

after finding the card ... look for its driver ability with the one u need ...

keep posting ...

harmandeep said:
additional card wud just add funtionality ... without interrupting or changing ur onboard i/o controller ... but some cards cause uncertain boot up problems with mobo and raid card bios ... but this is rare now afaik ...
although it is advised to buy a Raid card rather than an onboard ... due to performance concerns ... if u wanna buy sasta and a pretty nice card ... look into ebay US or any other merchant selling second hand i/o controller with an onboard I/O processor ( higly recommended ) ... look for PCI-E x1/x4 or PCI-X if ur mobo got one of those slots ( mostly found on workstation and server class mobo,s ) ...

Don,t spend on a mobo with onbaord raid solution , buy a dedicated
solution ----- one of ma many mistakes ... :(
If u wanna buy locally ... get any cheap ... but that won,t offer any great nice performance ... imho ... afaik ...

after finding the card ... look for its driver ability with the one u need ...

keep posting ...

Thanks for the information, will ebay USA ship to india.
Do you have any idea about such a RAID-SCSI controller card, which I can buy in indian market.
Please let me know. I came to know abt an adaptec card which costs 7k which is quite high.
please let me know....

You want RAID0 or some other RAID??
If it is RAID0, don't buy the RAID controller card..
The PCI-based RAID controller cards are SATA 1.0 and not 2.. (I'm not aware if SATA 2.0 PCI RAID controller cards are available)..
Even if you get it, PCI slot would be bottlenecking your HDDs..
So it'll be better for you to keep your HDDs away from RAID..

But if you want RAID1, get the PCI based RAID controller card straight away..
Just see if it is SATA 1.0 or 2.0.. (If its the latter, then better :) )

mihirpradhan204 said:
You want RAID0 or some other RAID??
If it is RAID0, don't buy the RAID controller card..
The PCI-based RAID controller cards are SATA 1.0 and not 2.. (I'm not aware if SATA 2.0 PCI RAID controller cards are available)..
Even if you get it, PCI slot would be bottlenecking your HDDs..
So it'll be better for you to keep your HDDs away from RAID..

But if you want RAID1, get the PCI based RAID controller card straight away..
Just see if it is SATA 1.0 or 2.0.. (If its the latter, then better :) )

I want to do RAID1 or RAID 5 as I have some important data which I want to prevent against loss.

I see that these cards are quite costly.
One adaptec card I saw is 7k but I can buy a HDD in the same amount.

RAID 5 cards are an investment. Adaptec is one of the best cards available. If you say you have important data, and it is worth >7k then you can easily spend on that card. Else you dont need RAID 5. Also check out various sites for the same card, often you will find a dealer giving a good discount offer, then it would be lighter on the pocket.

The cards are expensive coz they need to have theor own IO logic as well as RAID logic from boot time of the PC, hence they have many functions that your mobo southbridge handles in a normal scenario.

Back