Samsung Galaxy S Family Thread

Sure, expecting one more CDMA Samsung Fascinate for a friend in next 2-3 days. After that probably we will get 4-5 screen/body protectors in one shipment. :)

bigbyte said:
Off late I was experiencing lots of problems in getting a GPS Lock with Darky's ROM. Tried various modem combinations. So switched to Firefly 2.9 today. GPS and Rom as a whole looks impressive so far. In this ROM also tweaks and lagfixes has to be enabled manually in recovery. Liking this ROM and will definitely keep it for some time unless I spot some major bug/problem.
Me too shifted to firefly right now as typing, What about u still on it or changed to something better, Do share the experience.

My experience with gadzetshieldz was very good and I've even purchased one extra as a backup. Earlier I'd ordered one of those 3pack and 6 pack guards but they are a complete waste of money. The gadgetshieldz, when applied properly gives absolutely no rainbow effect, offers very good visibility and touch response. For Rs. 300 it gives protection for front back and sides as well. Application requires some patience.

@karankapoor With the sourse for gingerbread I9000 out, it is just a matter of time before tha dev come up with a port to captivate. I expect first ROM at the end of week itself. Till then decided to keep Firefly.

^^^Me too waiting for Gb for captivate, Do post some pics of the phone with gadzetshieldz on want to see how it looks with the shield on it.

Since the shield is transparent, it is very difficult to mark any difference in photographs. The gadzetshieldz is just like zagg invisible shield.

bigbyte said:
Off late I was experiencing lots of problems in getting a GPS Lock with Darky's ROM. Tried various modem combinations. So switched to Firefly 2.9 today. GPS and Rom as a whole looks impressive so far. In this ROM also tweaks and lagfixes has to be enabled manually in recovery. Liking this ROM and will definitely keep it for some time unless I spot some major bug/problem.
How is your experience with "Firefly 2.9" so far? Planning to install it.

Also: What does it mean?

* This is a no wipe package

* You will have to flash the kernel on your own

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914284

Can you suggest few steps?

I am currently on firefly flashed it last night, its good but drinks the battery like anything when using wifi or gprs as compared to serendipity. Serendipity was more faster and accurate.

Which ROM u are running ? wait for another week GB will be out soon.

haha... Actually if you compare all points like speed, network reception, themes and other options Darky is most well balanced, though it may not be the best for every one. I used to get decent GPS with Darky but off let I was getting GPS lock after a very long wait. Reinstalling Darky didn't helped much. So again tried 2-3 ROM's and settled on FireFly. Firefly is good (though technically it is one gen behind.. Android 2.2 vs 2.2.1).

If GPS is not your priority or you are getting acceptable GPS with DARKY I'll suggest you to stick with DARKY before Gingerbread port is out.

@karankapoor.. Which modem you are using? Battery drain normally improves after 3-4 recharge cycles after installing a new ROM. I'm also waiting for it to improve.

@DarkPrince Whcih network you are using. Are you able to scan all networks (GSM and WCDMA) with JVE modem? How's the GPS performance with JVE? This was one of the modems I didn't tried with Darky.

I'm on TUJP9. the battery life is showing some improvements after 1st recharge cycle. Try charging the battery to full from computer usb instead of wall power charger socket. If you pull the usb plug out of phone at full charge, you battery should no immediately drop to 99 pc.

@bigbyte i am using reliance
gps working fine
takes some time to lock
jve was the modem that came in with darky 9.5
i haven't manually changed it
also haven't tried playing with network
but the modem seems to be working just fine
because i haven't noticed any performance issues
i want to change the modem because i want to see if that improves battery in any way

PS i am getting a decent battery life out of jve now
a days juice with average usage

I noticed that thing with the wall charger the time i remove the wall charger the battery drops to 98/99 within 4/5 sec, How much backup captivate gives on fill charge. I think i am getting a good back up by the night the battery indicator show approx 35/40 percent with approx 1 and half hour of calling 30/45 mins of GPSS/WiFi and 20/30 mins of gaming.
Is this good i am getting or it can be better ?

@Dark prince I think Darky 9.5 comes with JQ1 modem. Any ways since you are satisfied with the performance it's good.

@karankapoor The battery percentage does not falls immediately if you charge to full using usb connected to computer. Without any use, i.e overnight with GPS/WIFI/data turned OFF, I get around 5-7% drop in battery level in 7-8 hours with phone on GSM Edge (not 3g ) network.

As long as I get more than 2 days backup with light usage it is good. GPS sucks battery like anything though 3G data is also not far behind.

mgdelhi said:
I bought "Samsung Captivate Full-Body Scratch Guard Protector" from ebay seller "gadgetshieldz".

eBay India: Samsung Captivate Full-Body Scratch Guard Protector (item 250801068325 end time 07-May-2011 20:03:11 IST)

Seller couriered it very promptly next day and I got it in 2-3 days. Acknowledged receipt on eBay and gave good positive feedback.

Yesterday, I went to Nokia Priority Dealer (good rapport with him over the years) to get it applied because I can't do it myself.

They opened the envelop (plain white document envelop, with all pieces without any brand/instruction, not even a single word in the envelopment about product/instruction, or anything else) and found that it is of very poor quality. It is just like a car film (cut in required Captivate shape) with no proper method to fix it. I also saw it. They tried to apply on the front and bottom piece. Could not be applied. Both piece went in dustbin. Other pieces are lying useless.

Complete waste of money. :mad:
mgdelhi said:
Yeah, I did not read the instruction on the listing.

Sent a message to eBay seller also, and he replied that the instruction are on listing itself, the only I came to know about the instructions.

If they were with the packaging, I would have read it. Call it my mistake or something else but instructions have always come with the products I have ever bought.

If I had read them, I'ld have anyways not bought it, not my cup of tea spending 35-40 minutes to install screen/body protectors. Never installed any screen protector in my life.
Spoke to the seller. He is so nice, after exchanging few mails, he sent me another protector for the front (which was damaged) in proper retail pack with proper instructions free of cost. Hats off to him. Highly recommended. :clap:

Now the bigger task, to apply it to my phone. Never done it. Will have to learn. :p

Application is easier than you think. Just prepare a very mild soapy solution, wet your fingers and protector with it and place it over the clean screen. Within a minute or so it will be start sticking to surface, by this time start removing all the excess water using a credit card. Leave it overnight and you are done.

Thanks buddy. In the ebay listing, it is written "Set aside 30-45 minutes for the installation", so I was thinking that it is going to be long process but after reading your post, it looks easier. :)

bigbyte said:
Application is easier than you think. Just prepare a very mild soapy solution, wet your fingers and protector with it and place it over the clean screen. Within a minute or so it will be start sticking to surface, by this time start removing all the excess water using a credit card. Leave it overnight and you are done.

Back