Samsung Galaxy Grand

prabs

Skilled
I am planning to get the phone this Sunday.

Apart from the screen is there any other drawback in getting it?

Also, does this phone support OTG (I forgot to ask this to the attendant at store and I can't find much info on it on online)?

Even I wouldn't recommend mmx but just mentioned it since you won't find much many dual-sim phones with good specs. And just because of this, Grand makes a good case. All the benchmarks, reviews, previews, hands-ons are good, but in the end you are going to use it, so you should be comfortable with it and so you need to make a decision. But 20K ain't a small amount so you do need to be careful. Just go to a store and have a hands-on (I believe you already did that), look at the screen, the display and decide.

Even I wouldn't recommend mmx but just mentioned it since you won't find much many dual-sim phones with good specs. And just because of this, Grand makes a good case. All the benchmarks, reviews, previews, hands-ons are good, but in the end you are going to use it, so you should be comfortable with it and so you need to make a decision. But 20K ain't a small amount so you do need to be careful. Just go to a store and have a hands-on (I believe you already did that), look at the screen, the display and decide.

^ The screen is an acceptable flaw for me. I tried the device and the text didn't seem pixelated or jagged and the still images or demo videos on it were okay as well. Like @JuGGa said comparative to other devices it looses out when it comes to the screen.

The purpose of the post was to find out if the device had any other flaw that I didn't know of & OTG support.

Low Dev Support is a good point & so is the comment on Sony Xperia SL blowing it away in benchmarks. @JuGGa thanks for the information

So far I haven't seen or heard anything substantial to make me change my mind.

Thanks everyone for helping out so far. Stick around as-as an Android newbie I will bother you guys again.

Last edited by a moderator:
If dual-SIM is the primary requirement, there is no better phone to choose than this.

The specs announce that it supports USB OTG, but there is a post on XDA which suggests it that does not support it. Take your pen drive to the nearest mobile shop and test it out.

@blkrb0t - Bought the handset yesterday evening. Had called up Samsung Customer care and they did mention that OTG is supported but he didn't sound very sure. Will buy an OTG cable and see if it works.

At the moment still getting used to android.

@blkrb0t - Bought the handset yesterday evening. Had called up Samsung Customer care and they did mention that OTG is supported but he didn't sound very sure. Will buy an OTG cable and see if it works.

At the moment still getting used to android.

Check OTG before you buy, I have a Note and my friends have Grand, I tried a original Samsung OTG cable and it did not work on the Grand.

@tommy_vercetti - I really doubted the OTG support it seemed iffy right from the start. I still haven't tried a cable myself but will try it out before I buy the cable like you adviced.

@suhailkhan - Thanks mate.

Impressions -
I won't talk about the screen because I knew what I was getting into. Compared to a friend's S2 it did seemed a bit lacking but only if placed side by side which is not how I intend to use it.

Video -
Tried a few Videos (I know I said I won't watch vids on it but I wanted to try them out). The default video player had some problems with some of the files I had. Top Gear 720p video had Video but no audio and something similar happened on a 1080p Video I had transcoded (5.1 AAC to 5.1 AC3) and remuxed. On an anime file (mkv) the subtitles and audio played while there was no video (The file had a problem on PC as well). Tried MX Player and MoboPlayer same results. VLC beta played all the files but stuttered and hung on the anime file. BSPlayer works like a charm. Videos are clear and the subtitles are large enough.
Audio -
The default player does the job. Didn't try the accompanying earphone. Using trusty old PL-30 for the purpose.
Books -
PDF - The default app for Pdf works well and the text is non-pixelated. So reading is not a problem.
Comics/Manga - Perfect Viewer is a good app. I only wish there was an app where I can select the cell instead of panning and zooming in and out.
Games -
Touchscreen games - Meh. Except Glow Hockey and Free flow.
Misc Apps -
WD Live app. Controlling my WD Live inturn my TV. Works well using it so much better than the provided remote or hooking a wireless keyboard to it.
2X Client app - A remote tool does take remote connection of the PC but seems tedious.
WhatsApp - Needs no introduction
Facebook app - Does a decent job.

Overall experience -
Faced no slowdown so far. Everything works like a charm. Using the phone with the flip cover is a bit annoying but will get used to it.

Bought it from Alfa at -
Phone - 20250/-
Sandisk 32 GB Class 10 - 1800/-
Scratchguard - 300/-
Total Damage - 22350/-

@blkrb0t - In a word 'Definitely'. When you look at the offerings in the Dual Sim category, this phone is in a league of it's own.
My question was the opposite of it, perhaps I didn't word it properly. I fully agree that it is one of the best dual-SIM phone to get.

But say the dual-SIM didn't exist, would the phone still be worth it?

If Dual Sim was not my requirement I would have stuck to my old phone HTC Touch P3452. The reason to get this was dual sim . While I was out to get it I thought I might as well jump onto the android bandwagon and get a good phone while at it. Heck I went out and bought the best dual sim in the market.

So YES for my requirement it was worth it for someone else's I can't comment.

please dont be like that ...
his question was neither directed towards you nor did he bad mouth you in any way that you should take offence in anyway

I am sorry, you may not find it offensive I think but such questions offend everyone who are reading it?. I would also like to point out, my message against all those who type such question, nothing to do with him specifically. It is not always best to take the "popular" route and be nice.

@TheIndian GSMArena is one of the best mobile reviewing sites around, but I've seen them making mistakes too. It's not a bad thing to be a skeptic, you just have to be open to accept the evidence.

Sure we have seen them making mistakes, who dosent, but do you think such a mistake would still be around on one of the most popular phones recently, and no one notice it? EXTREMELY UNLIKELY. Maybe you could could do what the original poster did not do, and do a little googling and point out their mistake, couldn't be that hard could it?

I wonder why no one has replied to his question though it would take less than a minute to find out the answer.

@TheIndian
He is relatively new to the forum. He just wants to make sure whether the phone really doesn't support 3G on SIM2. You can either ignore him and let others or the OP to answer his question. Almost anything can be found out by googling. Then what is the point of a buying advice section? He just wanted some user feedback. Cut him some slack.

@aalok
I don't think there is any dual SIM phone that has 3G+3G config in the indian market right now. Almost all of them are 3G SIM 1 and Edge(2G) in SIM 2.

@aalok - Sorry mate can't answer that question at the moment. Using Vodafone in Sim 1 with the offer and the other Sim has no data plan active on it. I can try swapping sims and test. Will do it on the weekend.

Wonder if the registered mobiles will get warnings thanks to 'Sim Change Alert' for swapping sims in the same phone?

@TheIndian - I saw no reason for you to go for Aalok's throat.

Anyways -
Tried the DLNA service on the phone. The video I had recorded took a while to start but in a few seconds the audio stopped and when it came on it was out of sync. Audio files played well but images too took their sweet time to appear on the TV. Maybe I need a new router, I have had some problems streaming HD videos from my computer to WD Live in the past. For Audio - DLNA + WD Live App worked in perfect harmony.

Now to find a good app for F1 before Saturday. The official one costs a bomb :dead:

Two of my friends has Samsung Grand. To be very frank with you i found the UI slow and laggy. It is definately overpriced.

I would stay away from Samsung Grand.

Okay now I am curious. What lag are you talking about? The UI was neither slow or laggy on the demo piece that I had tried or noticed any lags on my handset.

Can you be a bit more specific. What exactly are you or your friends doing which causes the slowdown?

Back