Road Tax Karnataka for other state vehicle

hey,
I am currently in Mysore and have a car back in Chandigarh.

I wanted to know if I would need to pay any road tax and apply for a Karnataka registration number here in Mysore.

my purpose of staying in Mysore is residency. I would be staying for 2-3 years.

please help, If anyone knows what are the formalities, how much is the tax, if any?

Regards
Abhishek

Dont do it.
I see people in Bangalore roaming with JK cars. You will not be stopped unless they find you drunk. There are very few places in Mysore to go around & cops are good.

Road tax in KA for car will be around 15k+ , Think twice before paying.

of course you might be stopped and asked to check if you paid road tax , it is weird to be paying double road tax , from one state to another , you are legally allowed to drive for a month without the road tax , registration is not really required.

you can always tell them that you just came that month. Bangalore and hyderabad checking is more rigorous and strict , I have no idea about mysore . You could pay after you are stopped also

It is true that normally the traffic police won't stop you if you have other states number plate. But if they do, they want to see some proof that you are not living here long such as tolls etc. You can pay the road taxes here in Bangalore (even though it is really high compared to other states) and when you leave, you can always claim for refund.

Refund is a joke in RTO.

One way to fool RTO is try getting empty fuel bills from hometown and fill them up and show to RTO everytime they flag you down.

Bills should not be in order , talk to to petrol bunk guy and ask him to give u bills with random numbers.

This has worked for me when my car ( KA Registered) was in AP for 3 years :p

cops are good?not really.it depends on their mood.ive met really good fellows,kind,helpful and chaps who would love to cuss at you and provoke fights.
also,since random checks have intensified,they will almost always catch tourist vehicles or those with oustside registration.if your papers are in order,they mostly dont ask for road tax.and the came last month thing works,unless you become a familiar face to them.lots of Kerala registered cars and T.N cars too,so not really an issue.

I don't want to get stuck with legal formalities if i am caught with no tax paid.
I have hardly seen any car in Mysore from other states specially the northern part of India.
I hardly 2-3 other state cars, that too TN and KL.
I do not want to take the risk.

and if the tax is around 5k, I am ready to pay :)

I don't want to get stuck with legal formalities if i am caught with no tax paid.
I have hardly seen any car in Mysore from other states specially the northern part of India.
I hardly 2-3 other state cars, that too TN and KL.
I do not want to take the risk.

and if the tax is around 5k, I am ready to pay :)

LOL at 5k, you are in karnataka not punjab, welcome to the highest road tax in the country, think around 85-90k for 3 year old linea. better avoid paying it for as long as possible, just say you are visiting if there is any problem, i have friends who are using other state vehicles for past 4-5 years in bangalore.

what the ****.. why should I shell out 90k from my pocket..
I understand tax is must, and then may be I can take this thing too that it is high.
but why should I pay for lifetime, when my stay is just for 2-3 years :(

what the ****.. why should I shell out 90k from my pocket..
I understand tax is must, and then may be I can take this thing too that it is high.
but why should I pay for lifetime, when my stay is just for 2-3 years :(
Since you seem to intent to follow the rules right from your first post, here is good news. You pay lifetime. However, when you move to another state, you can get refund for the balance amount. It takes time as with all things sarkari, but you will get the money for sure.

As for what I did - I don't even have an NOC. Have been driving almost 2 years in Delhi NCR without one, or registration transfer documents or anything of that sort. A mental calculation suggested that the time and effort, and money to do the legal stuff is much much more than bribing the traffic police who might catch me for breaking some rule. I have been caught for not using the seatbelt, and once for parking in a no parking zone, but was not asked a thing about the registration either time.

Since you seem to intent to follow the rules right from your first post, here is good news. You pay lifetime. However, when you move to another state, you can get refund for the balance amount. It takes time as with all things sarkari, but you will get the money for sure.

As for what I did - I don't even have an NOC. Have been driving almost 2 years in Delhi NCR without one, or registration transfer documents or anything of that sort. A mental calculation suggested that the time and effort, and money to do the legal stuff is much much more than bribing the traffic police who might catch me for breaking some rule. I have been caught for not using the seatbelt, and once for parking in a no parking zone, but was not asked a thing about the registration either time.

Wow. Who comes up with these bullshit rules that defy all logic?
Instead of charging yearly fees they charge for lifetime and refund if you leave. Why has no one ever challenged this buffoonery before?
Abhishek is a good friend of mine and his car has just been standing over here since he joined Infy six months ago and will probably continue to rot standing unused for another 3 years until he moves back or to another state.

I think the idea of getting petrol slips from here might work as suggested by Metalspree, but only if he isnt stopped regularly by the same policemen.

Wow. This surely is a bummer.

Abhishek. Sell the car to me. I will take good care of it, i promise.:p

I heard somewhere, Road Tax can be paid yearly instead of life time - only if you can prove your job is transferable.
A HR letter MAY suffice, not sure though.
It may be easier way than refund.

And yeah, police in Mysore were far better than those in B'lore. (but not on Friday evenings outside Infy gate. :p)

^ I think that's the news in WB announced a few days ago. Yearly payment of road tax is not an option in Karnataka AFAIK.

Confused...why traffic cops should ask for road tax? Is it not RTO's job? Anyways driving TN registered car for last 5 yrs here in blr... Caught by cops several times, but for over speed and no parking. No one asked me about registration. Caught by rto once, escaped by showing toll slips and fuel bill. Luckily just month before rto's catch, been to TN and back.

Back