CPU/Mobo Rising cpu temp

jith77

Adept
Mar 19, 2007
I have not used my pc since this may. It was at my friends place and he had told me that he cant get into windows due to unknown reason. I cleaned the pc, re inserted the parts, heatsink and changed the thermal component. then started the pc, listened for beeps(none). In bios the temp of the cpu was steadly increasing at one degree every second. Saw the temp reach 90 before shutting down. The heatsink fan is still working. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this

jith77

Adept
Mar 19, 2007
Does that mean remove heatsink and apply thermal compound between heatsink and cpu? If so, thats done. And if it was just heat dissipation issue, will the temp rise this fast?(80 to 90 in 10sec)

WingZero

Skilled
Jun 24, 2007
USA
dude mayb the heastsink isnt seated properly...hav u did the fasteners properly??.....hav u added up more of goo??....only lil is required to fill for better thermal conductivity...jus giv a lil 'twistin' wen ya reseat the hsf...
keep thread updated if still problems....
the fan isnt increasin decreasin speed on its own is it??...

Reactions: 1 person

WingZero

Skilled
Jun 24, 2007
USA
10 secs seems eithr the hsf isnt seated....else sme prob with the sensor(i mayb wrong)...touch the hsf n feel too....if its is then its actually gettin too hot...

Arihant.EXE

ex-Mod
Aug 11, 2006
Gurgaon
WingZero said:
10 secs seems eithr the hsf isnt seated....else sme prob with the sensor(i mayb wrong)...touch the hsf n feel too....if its is then its actually gettin too hot...

Touch and feel the heatsink's warmth but after reseating it again .because an ill-seated heatsink will feel to have to same temp as that with a correct seated hsf with malfunctioning sensors.
Clean both the proccy and hsf's contact surface with isopropyl alcohal and apply just a minimal amount of thermal compound and flatten it with an applicator ( or a credit card).
Move the fasteners with appropriate pressure and revert back with the results :D

Arihant

rapt0r

Adept
Jun 15, 2006
I have had temperature increase at that rate when heatsink is not properly attached . LGA 775 heatsink pins can be real PITA sometimes . If it's sensor problem ( unlikely ) then system should not reboot unless bios settings make it to .

Reactions: 1 person

jith77

Adept
Mar 19, 2007
Thnx all.... Cpu temp is under control:).... But i cant get into the login page of XP...pc restarts just before that...pc runs fine if i dont get into windows...any ideas wat to do . . . And i dont get any message before it restarts

jith77

Adept
Mar 19, 2007
Press del durin the initial screens before windows start up. A blue screen appears with a "h/w monitor" tab. Choose it to see the temp:)

WingZero

Skilled
Jun 24, 2007
USA
hmmm.....wt exactly u did to solve the cpu problem??...tried formatting the OS??....did u reset bios options to default??....

jith77

Adept
Mar 19, 2007
Just did as told. Removed thermal paste. Added that again and re installed the heatsink.
I will google on formattin. Doesnt have a clue about that.
On setting bios to default- was that a question or suggestion?

muzux2

ex-Mod
May 18, 2008
Srinagar
Check Cpu clock, i'm afraid your friend might have OC cpu clock to insane level..

Or

Remove CMOS, insert it back after a minute..

jith77

Adept
Mar 19, 2007
In the safe mode i get the message to press esc to skip loadin stpd.sys before restart. I am movin my query to operating system section