- pouch
-digital camera solution disk
- software cd
-usb interface cable
-av out cable.
-2 AA disposable batteries
-16MB SD card

First impression:

It looks like a rectangular box, with length much larger compared to nikon coolpix 4100. i give much importance to features than size n weight.. but i dint feel the camera was heavy or some thing like tat. It differs for persons..
The back side is good. The LCD monitor is supposed to be 1.5" size. Its resolution is high. The pictures are very clear.About menu, all i can say is that once you are familiar with the icons and the functions, it is easy to deal with it.. So u hav to read the manual!
The camera like a phone has different color covers as an overcoat : i chose silver: There was only copper at my place. But there is also blue, yellow, green, orange etc in site descriptions.

Features:

Well, its a 3.2 mega pixel (digital zoom) cam with 2.2x optical zoom.
There are 4 major modes of operation:
-normal shoot
-special scene mode
-playback
-video
Normal Shoot:

4 modes: auto, manual, stitch assist 1 (left to right) and 2( right to left)
In auto, you dont worry about anything, just change the flash modes as required, and then shoot. The cam will do the focus lock,( when the shutter button is clickd halfway, auto focus lock takes place n then when u press it fully, the actual image is taken).
You can change the resolution of image and the quality too(like normal, fine and superfine)..

Resolutions:

Large: 2048 x 1536 pixels
Medium1: 1600 x 1200 pixels
Medium2: 1024 x 768 pixels
Small: 640 x 480 pixels

In manual, you can adjust the ISO and exposure settings. Havent done this, so not familiar with the mode..

The stitch assist mode is used for taking panaromic views, u can use these photos to stitch using software; each picture can be retaken as necessary.

Special Scene Shooting Mode you can find many, actually 8, inbuilt modes
- portrait
-indoors
-night scene
-beach
-underwater
-snow
-foliage(for shooting with more colors as in flowers)
-fireworks

The flash modes include flash on(auto,red eye reduction on/off), flash off(red eye on/off), manual

Then there are the macro/infinity modes..macro mode for focusin on certain objects and infinity mode for landscapes.

Video:

- 640x480 up to 30 secs, 320x240 up to 3 min(extends based on memory)
-voice recording possible

Playback:

-displays the snaps.
-you can zoom in and pan the images.
-there is an index mode, where you can select which picture to preview. it will look like browsing images in acdsee.
- sound memo can be attached to all images
-you can protect any image, so tat they are not deleted while formatting memory card .

Self timer :

you can program the cam to take pics after 2 sec or 10 sec interval.
General:

Only 16MB SD card is provided with camera. The images are stored in JPEG format while the movies are in AVI format.

You have TV video out put too which i havent checked till now. For transferring images to computer, you hav to keep the cam on, transferring can be done thru pc or thru camera. Also only new images can alone be downloaded.You can set the theme and sounds for camera. like shutter sound, self timer sound, startup image n sound. The battery charger and rechargeable batteries hav to be bought separately.

Summary

* 3.2-Megapixel CCD for images up to 2048 x 1536 pixels.
* 2.2x optical zoom 45mm - 100mm (35mm equivalent)
* 1.5-inch TFT color LCD, approx. 115,000 pixels
* Compact (4.2 x 2.1 x 1.4 in.) and lightweight (5.8 oz)
* 9-point AiAF system with single-point center focus and focus lock
* Low-light focus assist illuminator
* Exposure modes: Auto/ Manual/ Stitch Assist/ Special Scene/ Movie
* 8 Scene modes (Portrait, Night Scene, Foliage, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, Underwater, Indoor
* Motion video w/audio, 640x480 up to 30 secs, 320x240 up to 3 min
* White balance options: Auto, daylight, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent, fluorescent H, or custom
* Shutter speeds from 1 second to 1/1500 second
* Evaluative metering linked to the focus point
* ISO settings: Auto, 50, 100, 200, 400
* Photo Effects: Vivid, Neutral, Low Sharpening, Sepia, B&W
* Built-in flash with Auto, Forced on, Red-eye on, and forced off (Red-eye reduction On or Off)
* 2x-10x enlarged playback function with scrolling
* Direct Print to PictBridge compliant printers
* Video output (NTSC or PAL)
* SD memory card storage
* Canon's exclusive Print/Share button
* USB driverless downloads
* Powered by two AA type batteries

Price: 12.5k for camera+ battery charger kit(2 rechargeable batteries)+ 128MB SD card

:)
That was a very simple one i know, but at this point i cud only give this short review..about photos..i cant guarantee when, but wil do one day.

@bluediamond

Today I was at a computer store and saw the A400 - I bought it. The only reason I bought this camera was because of this review of yours. Seems like a good buy.

I bought it from the local official Canon agent - got bill and 2 year warranty for 9250/- + 450/- for extra 64mb memory.

Thanks for this review - without this review I doubt I would have bought this camera. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
@bluediamond

I have one question - how do you store the pictures downloaded from the camera in a directory of your choice - I want the pictures to be stored on another hard drive and dont want to do this manually everytime. I could not find an option for this directory change in the cameras software. If you have a answer to this please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
u can change the default directory in that zoombrowserex software..
when the startuop option comes, go directly to software, change the setting in camera->auto download setting.
hop this helps.. :)

bluediamond said:
u can change the default directory in that zoombrowserex software..
when the startuop option comes, go directly to software, change the setting in camera->auto download setting.
hop this helps.. :)

YUP - I found it !!! Thanks.

I got a price of 60/- each for Sanyo 2100 mAh NiMH batteries - Have not bought them yet. Is this a good price ?

:O i had bot 4 Mitsubishi 1800mAH for 500 :( but they're original for sure :eek:hyeah:

BTW, i dont use any software provided with the camera....not even the drivers :p

when i plug the cam in, it shows as a removable drive. The pics will be present in some folder there....doing this will avoid the camera's software running in the background all the time and taking up resources....

SunMysore said:
:O i had bot 4 Mitsubishi 1800mAH for 500 :( but they're original for sure :eek:hyeah:

BTW, i dont use any software provided with the camera....not even the drivers :p

when i plug the cam in, it shows as a removable drive. The pics will be present in some folder there....doing this will avoid the camera's software running in the background all the time and taking up resources....

NOW you tell me about not installing the cameras software !! Man it used up about 200mb of my hard disk to install !!! I will probably get rid of it by restoring a backed up image of my HDD.

I had gone to a dealer of batteries located at Lamington Road - his prices are very good and he sells only batteries - he is cheap compared to the general stores for all batteries including Alkalines and Mother Board batteries.

hehehehe...

BTW, use the charger provided with the cam...mine charges coupla of those cells in about 90 minutes, full charge!!!! takes ages on the normal charger.....

SunMysore said:
BTW, use the charger provided with the cam...

WHAT charger ?? .... none provided with this el-cheapo camera !!

I went back to pick up the Sanyo NiMH batteries but before I went to this supplier I saw a pack of 4 Sony batteries with a charger so I got it for 1100/- they are 2300 mAH.

regarding batteries

i would recommend the higher mAh rating the better.

my experience of GP, Sanyo, and Sony all are good but professional people prefer and recommend GP so i purchased those and i am satisfied with it.

@ switch,

surely will get the pic of charger and battery today evening as the camera is at home right now will bring it with me in evening session and update.

How many pictures or what period continous use should batteries last ?

Both the Sony 2300mAH NiMH as well as Alkalines seem to last about an hour continous use during which time I may have taken 30 - 40 pictures some of which are with flash.

Is this OK ?? I thought the NiMH would last longer than this before needing a recharge. :(

Eazy said:
Both the Sony 2300mAH NiMH as well as Alkalines seem to last about an hour continous use during which time I may have taken 30 - 40 pictures some of which are with flash.

How long does it take to charge the batteries and whats the cost of the charger.

Btw Eazy download picasa to enhance and edit your photos.

Hacker said:
How long does it take to charge the batteries and whats the cost of the charger.

Btw Eazy download picasa to enhance and edit your photos.

I got the Sony BCG-34HNB HIGH SPEED charger with 4 2300mAH NiMH batteries in bubble pack for 1100/- .... Batteries charge in ONE hour ... I had doubts about this charging time untill I checked on the Net and other users of this charger confirmed this charging time.

picasa - tried and found it not as good as Photoshop CS2 or the FREEWARE PhotoFiltre.

bluediamond said:
:shock:
u ppl are saying recharging times of one and 2 hrs!!!
mine is 14 hrs!!!.. :( :(
got a camelion charger and 2 sanyo 2100 (or 2200) for 500!

YUP.. ONE HOUR.... :bleh:

Check it out here... their price $32.49 !! :O

http://www.circuits2u.net/pages/BCG-34HNB2-DBL.htm

Got it for 1100/- .... my thinking....the 4 batteries must be 300/- ...charger must be 200/- and the balance 600/- must be for the name SONY to be printed on the parts :D

Can you PLEASE mention the number of pictures you get per charge ??

bluediamond said:
who has taken so much pictures! :(
me not getting out of my exams...

Ahh MAN... when I got my camera I took pictures of everyting around me .... just walked around the house clicking away... one hour later 2 dead Alkaline batteries. Expensive hobby. The next day itself I went NiMH hunting. :)

Back