Linux Removing Sequence of Linux in Windows and Linux dual boot Systems...

and the internet connection...does Mandriva automatically configure the internet connection in it? does it support PPPOE protocol?

ok...now i understand thanks Darky bhai...

one more doubt...can i straight away overwrite and install Mandriva in the partition where Opensuse 11.1 is installed? or do i need to format and remove Opensuse 11.1 and its bootloader first b4 insatlling mandriva 2009.1?

ok guys..i just downloaded Mandriva 2009.1 setup finally....and i have just found out that i cannot install Mandriva 2009.1 in the same way that installed OpenSUSE 11.1 since "instlux" method is only supported for Ubuntu, Mint and Opensuse distros...

so the only option is to boot into CD mode and install it from the DVD....how do i make sure that i select the drive where my Opensuse setup is loaded and delete that partition and overwrite it with Mandriva 2009.1 ...????????

can somebody plz tell me the steps to enable cube desktop in mandriva? i have been trying and trying but no success ..plz help...
and when i go to the control center and go to the "Configure Graphics Section" , it shows the "No 3d effects" highlighted and the rest of the options greyed out....the same bloody thing happened in opensuse 11.1 :mad:

And btw Dark Star, i found Mandriva 2009.1 to almost 99% same as Opensuse 11.1 and i still dont understand what u found so difficult in opensuse...opensuse has some faults but its pretty much the same as mandriva....

anyways plz help me out here.. :(

dark star plz help............... :(

1'st install graphics driver .. Mandriva Control Center - > Hardware -> Set up graphcis card ..

After that in the same hardware section there is configure 3d effects,,,, Or you can try Kwin .. Its the second option from Mandriva Menu .. .Kwin -> desktop -> Enable -> Apply

Make sure you set up repo 1'st .. MCC - > Software Management -> Configure Media Source -> Add -> Full Set

Edit: Mandirva is way easy and the developers are way better.. :) Repos and finding s.w is not as complex as SUSE !

Dark Star said:
1'st install graphics driver .. Mandriva Control Center - > Hardware -> Set up graphcis card ..

After that in the same hardware section there is configure 3d effects,,,, Or you can try Kwin .. Its the second option from Mandriva Menu .. .Kwin -> desktop -> Enable -> Apply

Make sure you set up repo 1'st .. MCC - > Software Management -> Configure Media Source -> Add -> Full Set

Edit: Mandirva is way easy and the developers are way better.. :) Repos and finding s.w is not as complex as SUSE !

i tried as u told but there is no option called "setup graphics card" . instead it shows "configure 3d desktop effects" and when i go there compiz fusion and the 3d options are greyed out and "No 3d effects" option is highlighted...one more thing i noticed is when i configured the GPU thru Hardware section in the control center it showed "Enable 3d Acceleration: No" and i tried to find this "enable 3d acceleration" option, but i could not find it anywhere...still no success...am i missing any steps .....? :huh::mad::S...

im going mad...plz help DS.... :huh:

in addition i referred this thread....btw i m logged in as myself since mandriva does not allow root login...anyways i referred this link below:

http:

//www.linuxquestions.org/questions/mandriva-30/2009.1-nividia-and-3d-desktop-725634/
and tried wot was said in the terminal and i found this error in the terminal...

Code:
[joseph@localhost ~]$ sudo nvidia-xconfig

Password:

joseph is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.

[joseph@localhost ~]$ su - root

Password:

[root@localhost ~]# sudo nvidia-xconfig

sudo: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

[root@localhost ~]# sudo root

sudo: root: command not found

[root@localhost ~]# sudo nvidia-xconfig

sudo: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

[root@localhost ~]# su - joseph

[joseph@localhost ~]$ sudo nvidia-xconfig

Password:

joseph is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.

[joseph@localhost ~]$

plz help...

^^Its Setup Graphical Xserver.. Install card drivers and then try :) Click on Graphic Card select your card and click ok. It will ask you to install graphics driver..

Make sure repos are installed :)

Dark Star said:
^^Its Setup Graphical Xserver.. Install card drivers and then try :) Click on Graphic Card select your card and click ok. It will ask you to install graphics driver..

Make sure repos are installed :)

i m sorry...but i still did not get u....i also forgot to tell u that i still have not downloaded the Mandriva Linux one CD :ashamed:....is it in this CD that the Nvidia drivers are located?:ashamed:

Dark Star said:
^^You downloaded Free DVD edition ?

yes i downloaded the free dvd edition...i586 version to be precise....but i have still not downloaded the Mandriva linux one cd....r the nvidia drivers for mandriva 2009.1 provided separately in Mandriva Linux one CD?

^^Ehh...No need to worry...

1. Open Control Center ... 1'st Section is Software Management .. Click on Configure Media.. Now if you haven't added repos please add them , as w/o that you won't be able to install anything...

Since you are using Free Edition, Non-free repo might not be selected .. So please checkbox all the listed in the screenshot..

You can add PLF repos.. If you want restricted codes liek real-codecs, win32codecs to play some media files have restricted codecs.. Easy Urpmi

Click on the Add PLF tab and it will done ..

2. Once repo setup gets finished, update the system .. Update is under same software category ... .

3. After update you might need to reboot.. So do it.. Once done open MCC .. Click on Hardware Tab -> Set up Graphical Server -> Click on 1'st option and select the graphics card you have,.. Click next and you will be asked for proprietary driver installation...

That will do.. After that you can use composite desktop ..

Ok Dark Star, as per ur instructions, i have updated all the packages and i rebooted the system...but i saw to additional entries like "desktop kernel 2.2.63.1." and "desktop kernel 2.2.63.7." in the boot screen along with windows and Mandriva's entries....these entries happened after the update took place...however i still logged in into the Mandriva OS instead of the desktop kernel entries...anyways..as per ur instructions i rebooted and then after logging in went to the Control center and clicked on "Set up X Grpahical server" and YES this time it did show me the alert for the availability for the GPU's proprietary drivers and after downloading them i rebooted again and went to "Configure desktop" enabled some of the desktop effects like "explosion" , "falling apart" of windows...this showed that the drivers had got installed properly... but i did not have enuff time to test the cube desktop as it was 1:30am and i had got so engrossed in enabling the other effects that i forgot to go to the control center again and then check the "configure ur graphics" option to c whether the "Compiz Fusion" settings have been highlighted or not...anyways as of now some of the desktop effects seem to be working fine....So thank u so much for ur guidance DS... when i return home today...i will check and c whether the Cube desktop is enabled or not and let u guys know.... Once again, thank u so much Darky bhai..........really appreciate it :)

thank u so much for ur help Dark Star...i will chek that once i reach home...just one more thing i wanna know...can i remove those 2 additional desktop kernel entries in my boot screen without affecting the existing mandriva environment? if yes..plz tell me how...

Hmm.. You mean to remove only entries or totally remove old kernel..

Well do one thing .. Since latest available kernel is 2.6.29.3 you should remove older one..

Code:
[shashwat@localhost ~]$ uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.29.3-desktop586-1mnb #1 SMP Thu May 14 13:59:03 EDT 2009 i686 AMD Phenom(tm) 8650 Triple-Core Processor GNU/Linux

[shashwat@localhost ~]$

If this is the output . .do one thing open Add/remove .. Search with kernel and uncheck all the entries with 2.6.29.1 kernel .. Once done unchecking all of them click apply and it will uninstall older kernel.. Make sure you don't remove kernel 2.6.29.3 entries

Or if you don't want to go through this and just want to remove the entries. .Open MCC - > Boot - > Set Up Boot system > Click Next and Delete the Last 2 Entries

Click ok and you are done.. This way you don't remove the kernel just the entries..

Back