Recommendations for phone at 18k

freeze

Disciple
I am looking for a smart phone under 18k, These are the specifications I am looking for

1)Good display with decent viewing angles

2)A Fairly large screen, nothing over 4inch please

3)Good hardware (should be able to run most of the apps on the android market)

4)Android! (with ICS upgrade preferably)

5)Preferably Samsung, Htc or Sony.

6)Good build quality or at least decent.

7)Above average Battery life

I would be using the phone for apart from the obvious

1)alot of internet over wifi/GPRS

2)watching videos occasionally(decent color reproduction would be really nice)

3)Wont be taking too much photos, but i'll be shooting more videos.

4)Organizing Schedule

Choices of phones I made

Before consider Android - Samsung Omnia W

After considering Android-Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V

Any recommendations apart from Sony Ericsson Neo V?

Increase your budget a bit and go for the Moto Atrix 2. Yes, you have mentioned that you don't want to go above 4inches in terms of screen size, but 4.3 isn't really that bad and the high screen resolution ensures good pixel density.

If not, go for the Neo V. It's a good phone with a promised ICS upgrade. The Defy + is another good phone in your price range.

How much does the Motorola Atrix 2 cost? it took me a hell lot of time to get the funds arranged. I'm willing to wait for any new releases but its hard to increase my budget.

Apart from that, is there enough room for android development for the sony xperia neo v?

@dennis_nail: Windows phone has probably the best UI out there but it lacks certain things i'm looking for such as customization.

I was very close on ordering the Omnia W untill i learnt more about Windows phone... there are hardly any apps for windows phone unlike for android. There is very little I can customize on a windows phone headset. And the restrictions on bluetooth usage is something i will never understand. On the contrary, The OS response is "top-notch'' seriously nothing like it in its price range, and the hardware you get on the samsung omnia w is seriously the best in class.

I wish it had expandable memory.

How much does the Motorola Atrix 2 cost?

21k after ebay 10% coupon from deals of the week. I really like this phone, its got great specs and looks great. This is a very irresistible offer but with next gen phones around the corner, it's a tough choice now. Also ICS update is announced for Q3 which is quite late and the user base and custom Rom scene for this phone is quite weak, maybe because of locked bootloader.

If you wanna buy the phone right now then IMO it should either be the Atrix 2 or Lumia 800 (If you're ok with WP7, which is looking like a great ecosystem already with the tight integration with desktop and mobile platforms).

@freeze, yes WP7 has some funny restrictions which deters me going for Lumia as well. Neo V is also a good choice with Sony promising to give it ICS upgrade. I didn't get exactly what you meant by

Apart from that, is there enough room for android development for the sony xperia neo v?

21k after ebay 10% coupon from deals of the week. I really like this phone, its got great specs and looks great. This is a very irresistible offer but with next gen phones around the corner, it's a tough choice now. Also ICS update is announced for Q3 which is quite late and the user base and custom Rom scene for this phone is quite weak, maybe because of locked bootloader.

If you wanna buy the phone right now then IMO it should either be the Atrix 2 or Lumia 800 (If you're ok with WP7, which is looking like a great ecosystem already with the tight integration with desktop and mobile platforms).

Yes, though the next generation phones are around the corner... phones like htc one v, which sports a single core 1GHz processor of unknown origin is expected to be about $420, it's true its not always about the speed but there is hardly details on the product, But $420 is about 21k.

Otherwise the specs are pretty much like that neo v apart from the larger internal memory.

<
, so you think custom roms for sony ericsson wont be available that easily? ICS update for SE neo V is due this month or next month

@freeze, yes WP7 has some funny restrictions which deters me going for Lumia as well. Neo V is also a good choice with Sony promising to give it ICS upgrade. I didn't get exactly what you meant by

By that, i mean to ask if there any significant development on custom roms for the sony ericsson neo v?

Windows phone has been around for a long time... it hasn't really succeed much. it's a touch choice to make though they are doing pretty well. But looking at the integration plan.... and having majority of desktops around the world run windows you never know.

Samsung Omnia W is a tough bet... I hardly use Bluetooth anymore. Still cant make up my mind...

Good Android phones cost a Bomb!

Yes, though the next generation phones are around the corner... phones like htc one v, which sports a single core 1GHz processor of unknown origin is expected to be about $420, it's true its not always about the speed but there is hardly details on the product, But $420 is about 21k.

Otherwise the specs are pretty much like that neo v apart from the larger internal memory.

Neo V is a great phone at that price no doubt. Don't know much about it's custom rom development, but official ICS is a plus. Defy+ is another alternative at that price, but I personally like Neo V more.

For list of upcoming mid range phones that are worth waiting for, check this post of mine. http://www.techenclave.com/topic/510948-atrix-2-or-wait/page__view__findpost__p__1716551

Don't know for sure when these phones will hit India and at what price.

Back