CPU/Mobo Recommend config for engineering software

iamrahul

Disciple
hi there everybody,

i am writing here again after nearly one and a half years. my first personal build was an opty 144 venus on Asus A8nE.THE SUGGESTION CAME FROM THIS VERY FORUM. I HAVE NOT REGRETTED THE FACT THAT I LISTENED TO UR ADVICE.thank u all :hap2: :)

i have been keeping a regular eye on this forums contents for the last 3 months.but i think i need ur advice again, specially with reference to what has been happening in the last 4 weeks. man i am still dazed!:S

ok here are the objectives :

1. ABSOLUTE ,REPEAT ABSOLUTE NO OVERCLOCKING.
2. STRICTLY NO GAMING.
3. MAINLY TO BE USED CAE ENGINEERING SOFTWARES LIKE ANSYS, FLUENT,
MATLAB FOR SIMULATION PURPOSES.
4. OCCASIONAL 3D CAD ---CATIA/SOLIDWORKS.
5. ABSOLUTELY NO VIDEO/AUDIO ENCODING or RENDERING.

OK i know its impossible to advise without a budget. lets start with the processor+motherboard . say about 15,000

what i was researching on various other forums pushes my line of sight towards

X2 5600, X2 6000, E 6750, E 6600

MOTHERBOARD =:S :S :S :huh: :huh:

PLS TREAT THIS AS AN URGENT THREAD.

THANKS ALL OF U AGAIN.

na... id say go for the q6600.. if u want only for work purpose then the quad will be more beneficial than the dual core.

i know it wud exceed ur budget by 3k.. but trust me tht 3k extra will be a whole lot more of processing power :)

^^ which 680i u r talking about?? I have not seen any 680i mobos that can go for 4k looking at the fact that 6750 goes for little under 9k.

Anyway, honestly for most of your requirements you will not need that much powerful rig if the 3D CAD work is not intensive.

Even your opty will handle other things well.

But anyway. a 6750 with xfx 650i ultra will do just fine.

Personally I dont like that motherboard in hands of enthusiast as having owned it personally it has plenty of small glitches which needs fine tuning and little luck to get it running properly.

But for stock usage its ideal.

Quad will be really overkill for that requirement.

I think all engg software will be properly multithreaded. Hence going for the quad would be best. For the cad/cam work, get a gfx card with good opengl performance.

Actually ANSYS by default is not multithreaded. It needs mec HPC module.

MATLAB is not that heavy on processor to be honest. I am using it for last 3 years and even my good old college machines would handle it with ease even with complex simulations. Unless you are doing image processing or fluid dynamics its not that intensive.

FLUENT on other hand will be benefited greatly by more cores.

But keep in mind that with current quads you will have oven inside your pc which will need some good cooling even at stock speeds even with G0 stepping.

ok the debate has kicked off....:hap2:

sorry for the late reply. the cad work is not intensive.moving towards conroe after such a long AMD addiction really causes me to think once...twice...thrice....

well nobody even mentioned amd x2 6000:huh:

where to get quad in kolkata ...if i ask for E6750 ....HALF OF THEM THINK IM TELLING THEM MY MOBILE NO when i spell out the model no..:eek:hyeah: :chair: :chair: :chair: SO ASKING FOR A QUAD HERE MIGHT JUST LAND ME WITH A FREE TICKET TO RANCHI:S :S

Back