Re-issue of passport - how long?

^ The timelines look so idealistic, that I am very sceptical. In any case, that thing is not available in Chennai. (Why o why!)

Dude, if you want my advice, get a good tout and get it done through him. The way our passport offices are geared, touts get the priority as they are the official's money line. I remember when I went to the passport office to get my wife's name changed after marriage. They made us run from pillar to post to get things done despite of having all the documents but I was lucky that I managed to get it done the same day. But it was clearly evident that the touts were being given preference and their files were being processed ahead of everyone else. Now when I applied for my daughters passport, it took them 3 months to get it done. So when I applied for my passport renewal for a recent business trip, I used a tout and voila, passport in hand in 1 week.

agantuk said:
^ The timelines look so idealistic, that I am very sceptical. In any case, that thing is not available in Chennai. (Why o why!)
Im hoping for atleast 15days :)

Oh man, It will be a lengthy story if I write the whole experience. Im just waiting to get over with this thing. The police man has given me the work which he is supposed to do. He wants my neighbors signatures, details including their fathers name and I have to give 2 identity proofs. Passport application does not need as many documents as these guys are asking me. That too for a reissue with no change in address.

It can be done via 'tatkal' in 10 days afaik the security check can be done later if some senior police/army official gives a letter stating that he knows you etc.

As I said earlier, I opted for normal process i.e payed 1k for reissue. I still have the form that cops gave me. Will be giving it back signed by my neighbors tomorrow evening.

i want to change my photo on my existing passport so what is the procedure and how much time should i expect

i am in delhi by the way moreover is passport through dalaal is good move

Im not sure if you can just change the photograph. Changes in address or other personal details can be done. If there is any such thing, you can use that as a reason.

Almost all of the application process which need changes will have similar timelines and fee. Like changes in address, adding spouse name, reissue all have 1k for normal process and 2.5k for tatkal. Only thing is it might take more time if police verification is needed (based on what change you are making).

^ I think then you can get it changed without much of an issue since I remember reading that changes in apperance related to religious reasons are allowed :)

raksrules said:
Bit OT from main query and sorry for hijacking the thread, but i have a query regarding 1st time issuance of passport.
My fiancee has got a SMS on her phone which says

Verification report of your passport file No. XXXXX is sent to passport office, Worli. Vide OW No. XXXX dt 25-08-2010

Now after this message how much will it take for the passport to actually come home and does the post man bring the same ?
She had applied for passport in end of July 2010.
Anyone ?? :)

My fiancee has got her passport made but it does not bear any ECNR stamp on second page. Is this expected? Asking because my passport which was made more than 5 years back has such a stamp.

ECNR is applicable to only few people.Here is the entire list ECNR Indian Passports

There is a lot of difference between Immigration check and Emigration check .

If a passport issued before January 2007, does not have a notation, it is taken as ECR. However, if a passport issued in or after January 2007, does not have a notation, it is taken as ECNR.

raksrules said:
My fiancee has got her passport made but it does not bear any ECNR stamp on second page. Is this expected? Asking because my passport which was made more than 5 years back has such a stamp.
Earlier there was the convention of stamping an ECNR on the passport, however, now they stamp only an ECR. If there is no ECR stamp, it automatically means the person is ECNR eligible. The list is pretty simple, and the most common way to know if one is ECNR eligible is if (s)he has a senior secondary and above education from India, or alternatively, is an Indian Income Tax payer.

Back