PC Peripherals RAM Problem

Adept
Apr 21, 2008
I recently bought 2x2GB Transcend RAM. It is getting detected as 4060MB in BIOS but my Windows(currently XP only) is detecting it as 2GB only rather than detecting 3.25GB.
I checked it today only as I was not having my HDD with me. Then when it came today, I installed the OS and saw this.
What to do?

clown_abhi

Skilled
Sep 27, 2007
Ya, probably the memory mapping is taking a toll on the RAM. :no:

Just start using Vista 64bit and u'll be able to utilize ur full RAM and the full potential of ur PC and u'll surely notice the speed improvement. :eek:hyeah:

Adept
Apr 21, 2008
clown_abhi said:
Ya, probably the memory mapping is taking a toll on the RAM. :no:

Just start using Vista 64bit and u'll be able to utilize ur full RAM and the full potential of ur PC and u'll surely notice the speed improvement. :eek:hyeah:

Dude! 32Bit should aleast detect 3.25GB.
Why is it not even detecting that much?

The Sauron

Skilled
Sep 19, 2007
Chandigarh
188007 said:

For 3.25GB try adding PAE switch in boot.ini file .

For example.......

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /3GB

clown_abhi

Skilled
Sep 27, 2007
188007 said:

It's not essential that u would be getting 3.25 in 32 bit. :bleh:

The following components require memory address space:

* System ROM
* APIC(s)
* Integrated PCI devices, such as network connectors and SCSI controllers
* PCI cards
* Graphics card
* PCI Express cards (if applicable)

Still, 2 GB is quite low. :huh: What mobo u have?

clown_abhi

Skilled
Sep 27, 2007
This might help...

In Windows Vista, or after you upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the memory that is reported in the System Properties dialog box or by the System Information tool (Msinfo32.exe) has changed. This symptom occurs if the following conditions are true:

* The computer has 4 or more gigabytes (GB) of RAM.
* The computer is using Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode.

Note PAE mode is enabled by adding the /pae parameter to your Boot.ini file in the root folder of the system drive.

For example, before you upgrade to Windows XP SP2, the System Properties dialog box may report approximately 3.87 GB of RAM. The System Information tool may report that the total physical memory is approximately 3,540.00 megabytes (MB). After you upgrade to Windows XP SP2, the System Properties dialog box may report approximately 3.12 GB of RAM, and the System Information tool may report that the total physical memory is approximately 2,770.00 MB.

Note If you disable PAE mode on a computer that has 4 GB of RAM, the System Properties dialog box may report approximately 3.12 GB of RAM, and the System Information tool may report that the total physical memory is approximately 2,710.00 MB. The same values are reported after you upgrade to Windows XP SP2

Source...The RAM reported by the System Properties dialog box and the System Information tool is less than you expect in Windows Vista or in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Adept
Apr 21, 2008
clown_abhi said:
It's not essential that u would be getting 3.25 in 32 bit. :bleh:

The following components require memory address space:

* System ROM
* APIC(s)
* Integrated PCI devices, such as network connectors and SCSI controllers
* PCI cards
* Graphics card
* PCI Express cards (if applicable)

Still, 2 GB is quite low. :huh: What mobo u have?
See my signature yaar for my pc specs..
n BTW what is memory address space?:p

clown_abhi

Skilled
Sep 27, 2007
Well, memory address space or memory mapped I/O space is the total memory shared in a 32 bit environment with all other peripherals including graphics card, sound card and the OS components. The rest is available for use by the PC.

This is what i found for ur case

" Some operating systems reserve portions of process address space for OS use, effectively reducing the total address space available for mapping memory for user programs. For instance, Windows XP DLLs and userland OS components are mapped into each process's address space, leaving only 2 to 3.8 GB (depending on the settings) address space available, even if the computer has 4 GB of RAM. This restriction is not present in 64-bit operating systems.

(This also applies to computers running Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 as it only shows the installed RAM not the usable.) "

Also, u mite wanna take a look at this...

" I should add a note about the /3GB, /4GT and /PAE Windows boot.ini switches, too, because they often come up when people are talking about 4Gb-plus Windows PCs.

They are all useless to you. You do not want them.

/3GB and /4GT are config settings for different versions of Windows that tell the operating system to change the partitioning of the 4Gb 32-bit address space so that applications can use 3Gb and the OS kernel only 1Gb, as opposed to the standard 2Gb-each arrangement. They don't help at all with the 3Gb barrier, and most applications don't even notice them, so desktop users lose kernel memory space (and system performance) for no actual gain at all.

Oh, and just in case you for some reason still wanted to try PAE: It eats CPU time, too."

At the end, have u tried re-installing the OS after u got ur card? If not, try doing that and it should solve ur problem.

Adept
Apr 21, 2008
clown_abhi said:
Well, memory address space or memory mapped I/O space is the total memory shared in a 32 bit environment with all other peripherals including graphics card, sound card and the OS components. The rest is available for use by the PC.

This is what i found for ur case

" Some operating systems reserve portions of process address space for OS use, effectively reducing the total address space available for mapping memory for user programs. For instance, Windows XP DLLs and userland OS components are mapped into each process's address space, leaving only 2 to 3.8 GB (depending on the settings) address space available, even if the computer has 4 GB of RAM. This restriction is not present in 64-bit operating systems.

(This also applies to computers running Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 as it only shows the installed RAM not the usable.) "

Also, u mite wanna take a look at this...

" I should add a note about the /3GB, /4GT and /PAE Windows boot.ini switches, too, because they often come up when people are talking about 4Gb-plus Windows PCs.

They are all useless to you. You do not want them.

/3GB and /4GT are config settings for different versions of Windows that tell the operating system to change the partitioning of the 4Gb 32-bit address space so that applications can use 3Gb and the OS kernel only 1Gb, as opposed to the standard 2Gb-each arrangement. They don't help at all with the 3Gb barrier, and most applications don't even notice them, so desktop users lose kernel memory space (and system performance) for no actual gain at all.

Oh, and just in case you for some reason still wanted to try PAE: It eats CPU time, too."

At the end, have u tried re-installing the OS after u got ur card? If not, try doing that and it should solve ur problem.

I tried using /3GB in the Boot.ini file, But its of no use.
n Are you talking about my GFX Card?Firstly, I bought my GFX Card, then the RAM n then I formatted my whole OS HDD n then installed the OS again. Why the problem is occuring?:(
Plz help me!!

stalker

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
^^ its NOT a problem.

This is how the OS works. The only way for you to reliably get past this limitation is to use a 64bit version of windows.

ps-why is your RAM running at 585 :S

Adept
Apr 21, 2008
sTALKEr said:
^^ its NOT a problem.

This is how the OS works. The only way for you to reliably get past this limitation is to use a 64bit version of windows.
ps-why is your RAM running at 585 :S

:p lol. My MOBO is very poor OCer. :( It couldnt handle my RAM while @ 4-4-4-12 while running at 800MHZ. So, I set the RAM frequency to 533 n OCed. Will try to upgrade it soon too. Currently MX518 n XBOX 360 Controller coming my way! :eek:hyeah:

BTW What do you suggest me to do? Should I upgrade to 64Bit OS or Should I keep working as it is now? I dont think 64Bit OS would be a good choice. What do you think?

clown_abhi

Skilled
Sep 27, 2007
Have u tried Vista 32bit? If not just give it a try as ur last attempt.
While doing the install, use 2 GB RAm and then later add the other 2GB.

If all these fails, u have no other option than using a 64 bit OS.
BTW, 64bit Vista rocks. It's smoother than 32 bit and performs same on gaming on all fronts. And whatever issues were dere with drivers and stuff are all smoothed out. So, just make the move buddy and u'll definitely feel good...:eek:hyeah:

Adept
Apr 21, 2008
clown_abhi said:

BTW, 64bit Vista rocks. It's smoother than 32 bit and performs same on gaming on all fronts. And whatever issues were dere with drivers and stuff are all smoothed out. So, just make the move buddy and u'll definitely feel good...:eek:hyeah:

Thnx for your suggestion.
Now I will not format my XP. Instead I will dual boot XP 32 Bit with Vista 64 Bit.

stalker

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
188007 said:
:p lol. My MOBO is very poor OCer. :( It couldnt handle my RAM while @ 4-4-4-12 while running at 800MHZ. So, I set the RAM frequency to 533 n OCed. Will try to upgrade it soon too. Currently MX518 n XBOX 360 Controller coming my way! :eek:hyeah:

BTW What do you suggest me to do? Should I upgrade to 64Bit OS or Should I keep working as it is now? I dont think 64Bit OS would be a good choice. What do you think?

bugger.. even if the RAM are not able to run at 4-4-4-12 at 800, it doesnt matter. Intel processors prefer faster frequencies rather than tighter timings. you'll be much better off running your ram at 800 with looser timings. don't fiddle with them. run them at default. they'll do good.

clown_abhi said:

If you are anyway suggesting an OS switch, why go down the path of a 32bit OS at all?

Vista 64bit is like super smooth :hap2:

Adept
Apr 21, 2008
sTALKEr said:
bugger.. even if the RAM are not able to run at 4-4-4-12 at 800, it doesnt matter. Intel processors prefer faster frequencies rather than tighter timings. you'll be much better off running your ram at 800 with looser timings. don't fiddle with them. run them at default. they'll do good.

Dude! I was just testing out my OCing.