Storage Solutions RAID or Raptor ?

After looking through a couple of links i got various reviews regarding which is better - RAID0 on two 7.2k rpm disks or a 10k rpm disk, or none at all.

Here are a few pros and cons i found(feel free to add or correct if i misinterpreted the facts)-:

RAID 0 (both disks at 7200rpm)

-Need atleast two identical disks

-Data is striped, if 1 disk goes out everything is lost.

-Read and Write is faster than normal disk...even faster than Raptor(10k rpm) (although i guess this makes a difference only with bulky files)

-dependency on RAID controller - slows up boot times

-performance is negligibly higher for usual stuff(gaming,compiling etc.)

RAPTOR(10k rpm)

-Costly; Price per GB is very high

-Generate more heat;may need HD cooler

-Very good seek times,almost half of 7.2k

-Data fragmentation is high

OK, so these are the facts. And they have left me confused. Now someone tell me which one is better in todays scenario.

Considering two 250 GB 7.2k rpm HD and one 74 GB raptor, which one would be cheaper ? (which one is better investment if 74 GB will suffice my space requirements ? )

Looking forward to your replies...

i say the best is doing a raid 0 1 , a drives to back it up all and 2 drives at raid 0 for performance. i know it would cost much more but that ways its reliable and fast.

else the raid 0 is a good idea other also , as i might cost cheaper and fast provide u can backup data regularly .

^^ I second that. Also, since RAID 0 doesn't have data integrity, the Raptor is also not a bad choice. 500 GB of RAID 0 without backups... forget the Raptor's per GB cost in comparison if the RAID fails.

even i was thinking something on similar lines but is it possible to have 2 x 250gb at raid 0 and a single 500gb drive at raid 1 doing the backup ?

Sure, why not? But wouldn't it be better to go for a Raptor AND a 500 GB? Mind you, I'm not too sure which set up will give a better perf gain but the thought of not utilising 500 GB(250x2) of available storage is very painful.

Oh common , now dont support both the cases. RAID1 is meaningless...i am more interested in performance.RAID0+1 is the recommended thing but that needs 4 drives: i'd rather invest in something more important than 4 raptors.

The million dollar question is ,which will yield better performance at minimum cost :p ? Consider this as RAID 0 vs Raptor.

PS: Also, I am no heir of bill gates :hap5:...suggest economically viable ideas

then get raid 0 , and lots of DVD to back up data regularly . i think i too will have to get into the RAID 0 + 1 combination for my self , 4 x 500gb drives i am coming soon.

I ma here for Raptor. Raid 0 does not provide too much of an advantage over Raptor but multiplies risk of data loss.
A Raptor as primary disk (could be 74GB one) and additional secondary disks for storage are the best possible setup for `budget-conscious home users'

Raid 0 with 250GB Seagate 7200.11 X 2. Back up this 500GB combination with a 500GB Seagate 7200.11.

The 7200.11 series offers much more value. Lower power consumption and capacity and at the combined cost less than a single raptor.
The raptor generates quite some heat and a lot of noise. But, it's damn reliable as far as I've experienced.

Even so, a raptor is not a good idea given what's avbl today.

Thanks for the tip on boot up. Didn't take note that boot up performance can also be a result of the on board RAID controller.

sydras said:
Raid 0 with 250GB Seagate 7200.11 X 2. Back up this 500GB combination with a 500GB Seagate 7200.11.

The 7200.11 series offers much more value. Lower power consumption and capacity and at the combined cost less than a single raptor.

The raptor generates quite some heat and a lot of noise. But, it's damn reliable as far as I've experienced.

Even so, a raptor is not a good idea given what's avbl today.

Thanks for the tip on boot up. Didn't take note that boot up performance can also be a result of the on board RAID controller.

Oh...so you have raptors, must be the right guy to answer this. Anyways, how much does a raptor cost ? Did you have any problems with the raptors so far ? And why are you recommending Seagate, i see that you own WD stuff :S

zhopudey said:
Get a raptor for OS, apps, and game installs. And a bigger 320/500/750 for dumping all your other data.

Do i have 'other data' ? :lol

Back