Camera Query about the filters for the Canon 550D

My first SLR. Bought it from ebay and hoping to get in a couple of days.

After doing some research I realized that I need some kind of lens protection. Then saw this UV Filter thing. Serves dual purpose of the protection and UV filtering. Checking ebay I realized there are too many of them available, form 100 to 5000 bucks.

Now I am a total tyro and have no idea about things in the DSLR world so need your suggestion in selecting the lens filter.

Here are the ones I am looking at:

UV Filter 58mm Polaroid | eBay

MARUMI 58mm UV Filter for Canon EOS1100D 550D 500D 450D | eBay

Tiffen 58mm UV Ultra Violet Glass Filter 58mm Sealed | eBay

58mm HOYA HMC UV FILTER For Canon EOS DSLR 18:55 Kit LENS. | eBay

Which one should I be buying ?

Also I am saw this case for the camera: Lowepro TLZ25 Camera bag case for Canon DSLR | eBay

Seems like a great deal.

I need these things before I even start using the camera :p so quick replies would be appreciated.

Go for Hoya, it is much better than other 2.

The Lowepro listing has ended.

I would suggest you buy Lowepro Nova 160 AW or similar. It can accommodate one more lens which I am sure you will buy pretty soon. :)

BTW, I bought it from Letsbuy.com.

thanks mgdelhi and unreal_ishan, I am totally newbie in DSLR's so plz tell me how can I protect the Lens and UV thingy? what to buy and which is the best? where to buy online?

Guys... imo spending on uv filters is not a good idea..

most lenses are already having uv coating and hence uv filters serve no purpose

Using uv filters for protecting lens is again futile as if ir handling is bad and u endup breaking the filter.. it may permanently scratch ur lens

Might as invest in polarisers which u will newayz eventually require

Lol even I bought the 58mm UV Filter from Hoya.

Now need the Polarizer. I think that one is absolutely necessary. Tried a thousand combinations but couldn't capture those blue skies and greener pastures.

Back