Queries related to passport

pepps3484

Disciple
Mar 31, 2009
^^ Getting birth certificate now is very lengthy process. I have got this done for my sister and I had to visit the Govt offices in my district many times as well as Chandigarh offices thrice. Plus point to me was, the clerk who was handling , his daughter's birth certificate application was also along with this . Hence he knew all people and he got the job completed. But still it took 4 months.

puns

Staff member
Super Mod
Mar 24, 2005
Mumbai
I don't think so. For date of birth its very strict. its either birth certificate or school leaving certificate.
Has he attended college or higher institution which has given him a leaving certificate with DOB on it ? This might work.
Affidavit doesn't work for literate people.

pepps3484

Disciple
Mar 31, 2009
He did not attend college because he could not pass 10th even after 2-3 attempts :), but he has certificate issues from School not sure, if this is leaving certificate. But he can get the same from school for sure. will Leaving certificate work same as a Date of Birth proof ?

Affidavit is only for illiterate people that too born before a specific date.

MAGNeT

Skilled
May 4, 2005
Yes she needs to give old passport details even if it is expired. does she have the old passport or photocopy of it ?
she needs to show some proof of old passport or atleast give information on her old passport.
Yes there is a fine of 2000 Rs which I guess she will have to pay.
maybe admitting mistake of not knowing procedure for application can be an excuse but mostly she will have to pay the fine.
Yup after seeing passport act i realized yes she needs to pay fine.She paid the same.She was worried about money going as bribe.

pauldmps

Skilled
Mar 20, 2011
Hyderabad, India
Need help for my cousin.... he is around 37 years old and need to apply for passport but confused about DOB proof

1) He does not have a birth certificate ( in those times, birth certificate was not that famous)
2) He does not have 10th standard certificate because he failed in 10th (he has the failed mark sheet but that does not show DOB written) .
3) He has 8th standard mark sheet issued by Haryana board showing DOB (HBSE used to have 8th class board also)
4) He has certificate from the school stating his DOB. He also has Adhar/PAN/DL etc which show DOB.

Will these suffice as DOB proof ?
He's 37, so I think his DOB is well before 1989. In this case, he can definitely use the 8th marksheet as DOB proof. But I would suggest an sworn affidavit stating DOB to be on the safer side.
But he won't get a non-ECR passport as he is not 10th pass.[DOUBLEPOST=1411741407][/DOUBLEPOST]
I need to apply passports for both my mom & dad. They have been married since 1989 and do not have any marriage certificate.
So is the marriage certificate compulsory ? I could not find any info in the passport website. They do have an affidavit made in court that they are married. Will that suffice ?
Can somebody please reply ?

Last edited:

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Guys need help here. My passport was re-issued in August 2013 and today at my home some letter has come that I have not attended the police verification at the police station and something else is written.
I don't have the letter in my hand now but I shall upload it soon as I get my hands on it.
What is this about ? Anything to worry ?
Why after 1 Year I am getting this letter ?

I shall be calling the passport helpline once i see the letter.

puns

Staff member
Super Mod
Mar 24, 2005
Mumbai
You didnt have a police verification till now ?
Back then, it was either at home or the police station and the person would be informed through letter/sms/email which one it is.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Attaching the letter I received.

Attachments

• IMG_4949.JPG
    IMG_4949.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 2,566

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
You didnt have a police verification till now ?
Back then, it was either at home or the police station and the person would be informed through letter/sms/email which one it is.

I called up my dad and he says Police wala did probably come home. He is checking one file he has as he doesn't remember.
Problem is currently I don't have my passport in my hand since it is given in my office to immigration department and I will be at home next week so I can go to police but only with xerox of passport.[DOUBLEPOST=1413537544][/DOUBLEPOST]
IMG_4949.JPG
[DOUBLEPOST=1413538418][/DOUBLEPOST]Contacted the national call center 1800 number and the guy asked for my file number. Her mentions that I need to visit the regional passport office in Mumbai on Monday to discuss. He cannot give more information on this and directs me to visit the RPO.
I don't even have my passport in my hand as of now. It is submitted to immigration department here. :(
No idea how to tackle this.

Last edited:

puns

Staff member
Super Mod
Mar 24, 2005
Mumbai
If the police guy came and no one was there home, they leave a letter stating this and then you have to go the police station from where he came. all details are mentioned on this letter.
if you dont have this letter for some reason, go to the nearest police station or the one which you had filled on the application and see if you can get a copy.
You will need original passport. I doubt the police guy will issue a verification based on xerox copy. You will have to be very lucky or you will have to use some way to convince him. Can you get a letter from your company on official letterhead that you have submitted your passport ? That will be proof and you will need it.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
I don't have any time for these things, getting stuff from my company since I am traveling to Mumbai in like half an hour. I will be visiting the RPO on monday (as I am in Mumbai next entire week) and see what they say. I hope they don't cancel my passport as my Visa has been filed on this passport only. :(
I hope my dad finds something related to the PV done at home.
Else it will be a big mess.

AMG

Skilled
Jul 17, 2012
I got my passport made when I was 5, so it expired when i was 15 and i couldnt sign, and looked quite different as to what I look now.

So will I have to apply for a new passport, or will I apply for renewal?

mach9

Das Layzeemeister
Skilled
Dec 17, 2007
Anywhere between 0 - 47000 feet
Guys for the more specific and case to case technicality related questions it is best to contact the call centre listed on the site. I have called them quite a few times and they always provided the right information. Keep in mind several aspects of passport applications are matters governed by strict rules & the law as well. It's best to rely on official information & sources for these cases

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
I contacted one agent and he told me to visit the RPO and talk to a public relations officer and he can clarify my doubts. So tomorrow morning I shall be going to worli for the same.
He mentioned that probably I will have I get a police clearance certificate (PCC). He also says that as of today I may not be able to fly if I wanted to as they would have put a remark against my passport that police verification is incomplete. So I need to get this sorted ASAP.
Hope things work out. I will keep everyone updated.
Btw has anyone got PCC done before and if yes then for what reason ? What does it involve and why is it needed ?

AMG

Skilled
Jul 17, 2012
I got my passport made when I was 5, so it expired when i was 15 and i couldnt sign, and looked quite different as to what I look now.

So will I have to apply for a new passport, or will I apply for renewal?

Bump

TEUser2K1

Skilled
Jul 16, 2007
Mumbai
My police verification happened 10-15 days after re-issued Passport was delivered. I traveled 1600kms from Mumbai, on short notice for that. Basically, police also thoroughly and meticulously verified the documents used for proof for taking Passport, asked where I was when he came home for checking, few jumbling questions, etc... Later, let off without any concern. They send okayed verification documents back to Passport office, that is what he said.

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
May 25, 2007
Erode

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Guys need some help here.
So here is the timeline of events and someone better informed can guide and help me here...

1. In August of 2013, I apply for addition of my wife's name to my passport. I get acknowledgment slip with police verification as POST which basically means my PV will be done after I get passport.
2. One police inspector comes to my home later after few days of me receiving the passport and although I wasn't at home he verified everything from my neighbors and have some sort of slip as well.
3. After this I suppose I should have gone to the police station but I never went (my mistake).
4. After more than one year I receive a letter on my address saying that I did not attend police verification and such. Check few posts above for the pic.
5. So yesterday I went to the regional passport office in Worli with a written reply to that letter to again do PV for me. I submitted the letter they had sent and also my reply to them and the guy at enquiry counter first checked the letter and wrote NOT ATTENDED on it and told me to meet the officer related to Malad PSK (since my passport was issued from there). So I meet another lady there who took my letter reply and kept it with her. She told me police inquiry will come again in 8 days or so.
Also Supposedly I cannot travel outside the country during this period but she was unsure about this so she sort of said no comment on that.
6. I went to my local police station today and went to passport section. The person there told me that my file will be reopened and I should talk to 1090 number and ask file status about reopening. He told me that once it is reopened I should go to main CID office in Crawford market to physically get the file and come to local police station and then they will do PV.
7. I call 1090 and they say my file status says pending since January 2014, which is sort of absurd. The person there told me that I will receive a letter at my home and SMS as well.
8. I also called the national passport helpline 1800 number and they just gave me same status as the passport website.... "Your passport with number XYZ has been dispatched on so and so date via speed post....."
He went on to say whatever status update will be I can check on the passport gov website.

Now I am thoroughly confused as what will be happening now and should I wait for 8 days or so for some letter to come or SMS to come or status to be updated.
Or I can expect police inquiry to come like it happens for everyone ?