Queries related to passport

@abhifusion I remember reading somewhere that police verification needs to be done within 3 weeks (or 1 month.. not sure) of application submission. If not, you can contact the passport office for further help. Read in the passport india website.

Its been a month still no call from Police for verification :bored:
Its a 6 months Frame limit for police verification
Just kindly check whether u mentioned the proper police thana in your application form..
Some times there might be some issue with the Pincode of your area..
The file goes to wrong thana and they take their sweet time to send it to proper pincode..

Its been a month still no call from Police for verification :bored:
The Police verification can happen any time between six months from the date u submitted your application,and yes they Have to submit the report within 21 days after checking all the paper work and formalities which eventually is not done..

Got a mail stating I need to contact my local police thana for the Verification if it is not done within 3 weeks of application processing... :mad:

Guys need urgent help. I might travel within a month. When I took out my passport, I see some kind of fungus growth within it. While all the details are visible, my photo is completely damaged by the fungus. How do I go about getting a new passport? As per the passport office, there are only two options - either it is completely destroyed or the name + passport number + photo is visible. So should it be within a ? And normally how much time does it take to get a replacement passport?

My brief info-

-I am married and my spouse name is not endorsed on my passport. Same for my wife, she is having her fathers name on her passport.
-My passport is due to expire in June 2014 and last week I got 3 years USA visa. Now I want to renew my passport so that I can endorse my wife name as well.
-My wife is due to get her dependent USA visa next week
-I am expected to fly by October 25th

Few queries please advice:-

1. If we both are not having our spouse name endorsed in passport then while applying for a child passport in future will there be any issue. I have heard that it is mandatory while applying for a child passport that parents passport should have spouse name endorsed

2. How long does it take to renew the passport in Tatkaal

3. Will police verification be done if my address is same as old passport

4. If I renew my spouse passport with my name endorsed, then will I have to get the dependent visa again as the name will differ in visa with the new passport name.

Please advice.

My brief info-

-I am married and my spouse name is not endorsed on my passport. Same for my wife, she is having her fathers name on her passport.
-My passport is due to expire in June 2014 and last week I got 3 years USA visa. Now I want to renew my passport so that I can endorse my wife name as well.
-My wife is due to get her dependent USA visa next week
-I am expected to fly by October 25th

Few queries please advice:-

1. If we both are not having our spouse name endorsed in passport then while applying for a child passport in future will there be any issue. I have heard that it is mandatory while applying for a child passport that parents passport should have spouse name endorsed
A: It is not mandatory but it will help a lot to get spouse name on both passports. Otherwise, there are affidavits to be made and from what I have seen read here and otherwise, it is dependent and different for different passport office what all they can ask from you as proof. Marriage certificate will also help.

2. How long does it take to renew the passport in Tatkaal
A: 3 days

3. Will police verification be done if my address is same as old passport
A: Police verification is now mandatory. They come for all cases.

4. If I renew my spouse passport with my name endorsed, then will I have to get the dependent visa again as the name will differ in visa with the new passport name.
A: Cant answer this, ask a visa counsellor / travel agent,
Please advice.

Part two of my tryst with the passport office started a couple of days ago. This time, I had applied for passports for my wife and kid. Due to personal reasons, I could not go with them. This time, there was a slight complication because the guys in the token issuing counter were not sure whether my son's birth certificate was authentic or not. I'm not sure who gave them the authority to verify the authenticity of certificates. The issue was also very trivial. In my place (Pondicherry), a free copy of the birth certificate is issued immediately after mandatory registration of birth. The certificate has a seal saying "FREE COPY" on it. That was the reason why the token issuing counter guys, presumably from TCS, were not ready to accept it as legitimate. After convincing them of the authenticity, my wife could finally get the tokens issued.
Again, my wife specifically requested them to issue same token number for both because they will be sharing original documents, but that request went in vain.
Still, after all this hoopla in the token issuing stage, the rest of the formalities went without issue. None of the government officials in counters B and C as much as suspected my son's birth certificate. My kid has been authorised a passport without any verification. My wife will be getting one after police verification.

[DOUBLEPOST=1380350255][/DOUBLEPOST]

Today (28th Sep), I received the passport for my son. :O Applied on 26th Sep. Because it was for a minor, and I had a passport already with my wife's name endorsed, there was no police verification. Just 2 days to print and despatch. That was really fast. ;)

Last edited:
My passport expires in June 2014 and I have got H1B stamped. I was due to fly on 29th Sept but had a freak accident on bike and broke 2 forearm bones so I will be probably flying after 25th October. My address is same, only wife name needs to be endorsed.

Now my question is:-
1. Should I renew my passport in India under tatkaal or go in USA and do it there.

2. Once I get my passport under tatkaal can I immediately fly or will I have to wait till Police Verification completes and my passport gets activated or passport get activated immediately

3. If I plan to travel with old passport and plan to renew in USA then when I enter USA does my visa date will be changed to passport expiry date by the USA immigration people (I have read this in some forum)

4. How easy it is to renew passport in USA.

Please Suggest.

@irfanlai.

In 2 weeks u get it done, if done from US. U just need to put all the documents and the old passport and a return paid cover to the Atlanta embassy/consulate or whichever one u want. 2 weeks. confirmed.

@raksrules Thanks dude. Even I am thinking of doing that but just worried that on arrival what date they will give on I-94 and will my visa date get affected or reduced.

Any real life exp with anybody who has renewed his passport in USA

No real life experience and i believe you can get it extended easily so not really anything to worry. Moreover your petition and I797 was based on your existing passport so now if you go for renewal then your passport# will change here itself before you even fly and that MAY cause issues. I am not sure but better to be safe.

Back