PS3 + Dell E228WFP

sahilm

Disciple
PS3 + Dell E228WFP (EDIT: Help! Can't get it working)

This forum has had quite a few owners of the Dell E228WFP. I was hoping some of the them could shed some light on how well the PS3 works with this monitor.

I've been reading some mixed reports wherein most people claim it works well and looks fine while others are complaining of a completely blank display.

Link 1(The OP here got his monitor to work but the last few posters seem to be complaining).

Thanks.

My PS3 worked well with my old 19" Acer monitor. The blank display is due to video output settings of PS3. Just press the start button for few seconds after starting the PS3, the PS3 will adjust accordingly to the output source. PS3 works perfectly fine with all monitors that have DVI -D or HDMI or both ports.

sugat123 said:
My PS3 worked well with my old 19" Acer monitor. The blank display is due to video output settings of PS3. Just press the start button for few seconds after starting the PS3, the PS3 will adjust accordingly to the output source. PS3 works perfectly fine with all monitors that have DVI -D or HDMI or both ports.

It does however need to have HDCP, right?

Jasku said:
It does however need to have HDCP, right?
Yes that is a requirement. Some of the displays are not HDCP compliant. For instance, my office workstation uses the Dell 2007FP which is not an HDCP complaint display although this is a very popular model because of the S-IPS panel.

1. Okay I just got a PS3 yesterday and connected it to my monitor (Dell E228WFP, no HDMI port, HDCP compatible) with a HDMI-DVI cable I got of eBay (Link). It _doesn't_ work.

2. I tested the console with my friend's monitor (Dell ST2410) with a standard HDMI-HDMI cable. It works fine.

3. I tried using the HDMI-DVI cable with the ST2410. The console stops working again. The display just goes into sleep mode.

4. At this point I concluded that the HDMI-DVI cable is bad. To my surprise the said cable works fine with a computer. I tested it by attaching the HDMI end to my friend's graphics card and the DVI end to the ST2410s DVI port.

What could be the issue? I've tried all the video resets and HDCP handshaking workarounds. Nothing seems to be working. I came across this - eBay India: HDMI - DVI CABLE 1.5 m for Sony Playstation 3 / PS3 (item 120669375324 end time 11-Jan-2011 23:54:40 IST). He's selling a "PS3 compatible" cable at a serious premium. What's the deal here?

Back