CPU/Mobo Processor options for a fairly old computer

viridian

Disciple
I picked up quite an ancient computer for about 10k from a friend (the HDD (2x500GB WDs) and memory modules(2G)) are spanking new though. For the life of me I can't figure out what the make/model of the motherboard is :huh: . I stared for many hours at the insides but couldn't tell. The only meaningful data I could gather is that the AMD processor uses an AM2 slot and it has an onboard ATI Xpress 1150 card. It also has a PCI E slot from what I can tell.

Originally this system was bought to serve as a way to escape corporate firewalls using SSH etc. I've started to use it as my main system now and hence I'm looking for upgrade options. My primary requirement is that the machine should be able to decently run 2-3 Virtual machines and play HD video decently. I don't game much but CUDA would be good to have for running key cracking algorithms at breakneck speeds(work of course, no evil :cool2:)

Should I just throw this machine away and get a newer one or should I look for processor upgrades and a spanking new PCI E card? What would be your suggestion?

Throw it away :p (I'll take the hard drives)

Not sure about AMD processors. Anuj wants to sell his proccy + board combo. Athlon XP 2400+. Will put up on market soon.

@Arya: Somehow I just knew you'd say that. I think mine is an Athlon XP 2200 or 2300. No point in upgrading to that. VFM NVidia CUDA supporting card should be a better alternative, no?

@OP: A full upgrade is recommended. Sell off the old system excluding the HDDs, get a new system. But do you think even a CUDA enabled GPU can crack lengthy passwords in reasonable amount of time?

Athlon XP = Socket A, not AM2 (Socket A/754/most 939 = DDR1, AM2 is DDR2). If you have the former, ignore the rest of the post and ditch the system - no life left in it. If it is AM2:

There's a AM2 4000+ X2 (2.1GHz) on sale in Mumbai - PM Bikey. Overclocks to 250FSB with zero voltage increase, and should mate well with that board, as long as your board can push that much FSB. IDK if it had virtualisation - not much use for you if you don't get that on the processor if you're running 2 or 3 virtual machines.

Almost any 65W AM2 CPU will be a good fit for an old AM2 board. Depending on the power regulation, you could run higher power CPUs on it. Some of those old boards are rated to 95W but most are 65W only - no way until you decode the power regulation scheme for yourself, or post some good photos.

AM2+ CPUs will run as well, but at reduced HT speeds (1GHz max). Getting a new one will not be an issue even today. One of the older Phenom Quads (watch the TDP) or tri-cores should also get along fine with it, and should be available cheap. The old AMD systems still have some life left in them due to some amount of socket interoperability.

That said, a cheap quad core and board should be a max of 10K, plus some memory in case you are stuck with a DDR1 board should get you going on the cheap.

cranky said:
Athlon XP = Socket A, not AM2 (Socket A/754/most 939 = DDR1, AM2 is DDR2). If you have the former, ignore the rest of the post and ditch the system - no life left in it. If it is AM2:

There's a AM2 4000+ X2 (2.1GHz) on sale in Mumbai - PM Bikey. Overclocks to 250FSB with zero voltage increase, and should mate well with that board, as long as your board can push that much FSB. IDK if it had virtualisation - not much use for you if you don't get that on the processor if you're running 2 or 3 virtual machines.

Almost any 65W AM2 CPU will be a good fit for an old AM2 board. Depending on the power regulation, you could run higher power CPUs on it. Some of those old boards are rated to 95W but most are 65W only - no way until you decode the power regulation scheme for yourself, or post some good photos.

AM2+ CPUs will run as well, but at reduced HT speeds (1GHz max). Getting a new one will not be an issue even today. One of the older Phenom Quads (watch the TDP) or tri-cores should also get along fine with it, and should be available cheap. The old AMD systems still have some life left in them due to some amount of socket interoperability.

That said, a cheap quad core and board should be a max of 10K, plus some memory in case you are stuck with a DDR1 board should get you going on the cheap.

Thanks! That clears it up a bit. Will definitely explore these options!
@dvijaydev46: Well it will speed it up a bit, if nothing else. For crap/weak passwords, there is a higher probability that I could get them in a reasonable amount of time. One could also contribute to distributed pw cracking efforts, like the one being carried out to crack GSM encryption (which should be done by Dec I think).

Back