PC Peripherals Power Problems

zewarrior

Disciple
PC specs-
AMD Phenom II X4 920
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo
4 GB Dual Channel DDR2 (800Mhz)
Zotac GeForce® GTX 750 Ti 2GB https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/gtx-750-ti-2gb
Coolermaster Real Power Pro 460W http://www.coolermaster.com/service/support/model/RS-460-ASAA-D3/
Sukam 600VA UPS

(Power Supply Calculator)
Load Wattage: 295 W
Recommended UPS rating: 600 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage: 345 W

I recently purchased the GTX 750 Ti. Card performs brilliantly but the problem is that my Sukam 600VA UPS keeps tripping (switches to battery and back to mains) intermittently even if I'm not gaming. Sometimes the UPS just hangs permanently and has to be powered off and on again. The UPS works perfect if i swicth to the onboard graphics display. Also works perfect when hooked up to another PC.

Seems to be a power requirement problem, but according to the power supply calculator it shouldnt be. Please correct me if wrong.

What UPS should I get if it is a power issue, 800VA, 1000VA? Also which brand/model. Please help!

Probably the transformer inside the UPS cannot take the full load of the pc. 600VA ups can only take max 300-350W load for less than a minute. You will need to get the 800VA UPS (takes a load of max 500W).
What I noticed in the power supply calculator is it does not take into account osu wattage and overhead while mentioning ups load. Load w + psu w > 600W here. PSU of 400W will take 400W + a few extra watts since its power factor is not 100%. So you should always take 20-25% overhead while choosing a UPS for a rig.

I suggest you to buy a 800VA or 1000VA (if you will upgrade to more powerful card) APC ups.
This 1000VA APC UPS with support for external tubular/smf batteries looks like a good choice.

Funny thing is I hooked up my second pc also to the same UPS. Used a KVM. Main pc with graphics card is on onboard graphics though. Both pc's on and it doesnt trip. Does the gtx 750 ti require more power than another pc!!

Okay...just found out my PSU is active PFC. Read somewhere that Active PFC PSU's need a pure sine wave UPS. Can someone suggest some decent pure sine wave UPS which isnt worth as much as my graphics card! Im thinking of removing the UPS altogether and running the PSU with a surge protector.

Last edited:
It's an old myth that PSU with active PFC requires pure sine wave UPS. I'm using a corsair active PSU from past 8+ years with an 8+ year old APC UPS which outputs stepped up sine wave. Even my house inverter only outputs an approximate sine wave.

Pure sine wave UPS will cost more than 17k imo.

It's an old myth that PSU with active PFC requires pure sine wave UPS. I'm using a corsair active PSU from past 8+ years with an 8+ year old APC UPS which outputs stepped up sine wave. Even my house inverter only outputs an approximate sine wave.

Pure sine wave UPS will cost more than 17k imo.
What model is your APC UPS? Problem is I dont want to buy something which doesnt work later.

Its Back ups 650 or something. Its been phased out for similar looking BE800 or some such name. They upgraded the wattage on the new model to around 540W. Mine can do just 330W max. The new model still uses internal battery. The model I linked in a previous post can use tubular battery which can run for around 7 years. SMF sealed batteries die out in 2-3 years max even with constant 24/7 charging.

Back