Storage Solutions Portable HDD

Hi friends,
I wanna buy a Portable HDD.
I will buy a good 2.5'' HDD & good casing.

Plz suggest a good combo.
The requirements are :
1.120GB sata with 8 mb cache.
2.Good casing
3.Total budget 6k.

btw does 2.5'' casing support to e-sata.

AFAIK, 2.5" hdds come only in PATA. But it shouldn't be of concern, as the casing will connect thru usb anyways.
The Transcend casing is around 1K, and Vantec should be about the same, maybe slightly more. 120gb hdd was around 5.5K last time I asked. Not sure about the cache.

A lower rpm drive may be the best solution for an external USB drive as it will require less power to run. I'm not sure if the powered USB interface can spin a 7200 rpm drive. In any case, you will be limited by the speed of the USB interface to see the performance difference between the 5400 and 7200 rpm drives.

Maybe someone who is using a 7200 rpm laptop drive externally can comment.

zhopudey said:
AFAIK, 2.5" hdds come only in PATA. But it shouldn't be of concern, as the casing will connect thru usb anyways.

Yesterday I had a conversation with Nilesh of APEX and he mentioned that 2.5" HDD and external cases were going to be available soon in SATA format. This was news to me too. I think he mentioned that it was going to be an eSATA 2.5" case which would mean that these HDDs would be way faster then the current lot of 2.5" HDDs. I dont know how these 2.5" HDDs will connect to a Notebook as I have not heard of any Notebook with an eSATA port.

As an example when I have my 3.5" HDD in my external eSATA case I get transfer speeds of 62mb/s and when the same HDD in the same case is connected as a USB2 HDD I get 33mb/s.

@sydras

The drive is of 5400 RMP not 7200. it is not even made yet in 2.5'', at least not by WDC.

@Eazy

Vantec nextstar 3 is having one model with e-Sata & usb 2 for 2.5''.

Back