Please suggest me an E-Ink Reader

setonfire

Disciple
I intend to buy an e-reader very soon and I need your help. Please answer a few noob questions -

1. Is it the case that once I buy a Kindle/Nook I will be able to buy and read books only from the Amazon/B&N Bookstore?

2. I have a lot of epub/mobi files that I want to read on my new ereader. Will that be possible? (Very important to me)

3. Which e-reader would you suggest? (Kindle, Kindle Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle with ads)

4. By the way if I get the Kindle with ads version, will it work in India? Or will I get lucky and get no ads?
cool43.gif

5. Is shopabroad reliable? Or should I go with Junglee.com? (shopabroad is much cheaper)

I am only looking at E-Ink readers. No Tablets. I have been reading a lot on my android phone lately and I can feel the eye strain. E-Ink FTW
clapping.gif

1. Not really. You can read books downloaded from other sources too.

2, You can. Kindle might need conversion though.

3. Strictly in my personal opinion, I feel the Nook Simple Touch is the way to go.

4. It will work. Ads would be loaded whenever you connect to internet via Wifi. ALthough, the ads are non-obtrusive. They do not appear in the middle of your reading.

5. Shopabroadonline is reliable. Junglee is just an aggregator site. It just displays the rates available in various shopping sites. You cannot buy from junglee directly.

I would suggest you stick to the amazon kindle touch with ads/nook touch if you are ok with no Indian warranty or go for the no ads versions if you need support.

I got the kindle 3 from shopyourworld.com (This is before the ads version was out), and the kindle screen conked off around 8 months down the line. Called up the amazon helpline in US and they shipped a replacement directly to India without any headache. Dont even need to send the non working kindle back.

But please note the above thing will not be applicable for ads version as it is supported only in US and not India.

kindle touch vs nook simple touch is much the same. Books will be available in both the formats and if not you will always be able ot convert them. So cant see much issues.

Might want to check out kobe also, as it was going pretty pretty cheap @

http://www.shopabroadonline.com/home.asp#

I've got the Kindle 3 keyboard, the sponsored version. I love it. I don't use wi-fi, so no ads.

But if I had to buy an e-reader again, I'd opt for the Nook Simple Touch. Not because it has a touchscreen, but because it's got a faster processor, and much better battery life. It's also got page turn buttons which the Kindle touch doesn't have.

To read epubs on the Kindle, you'll have to convert them to mobi using something like Calibre. It's an easy, automated process, so don't let the lack of format support affect your buying decision. It'll convert your books and sync your library between your e-reader and desktop.

I'd avoid the Kobo. The processor on the Kindle 3 is slow. The interface has a slight lag that gets more pronounced when doing a search. It doesn't affect reading though.

The 1st gen Kobo however is slower than the Kindle 3, and has less RAM to boot. I considered it when I was buying my ereader, but decided it was too slow for me.

Ya , i broke my Kindle-Special offers screen too. Amazon CS told they wont ship replacement Kindle-Special offers to india. right now my friend in US is taking care of RMA. these screens are too fragile you dont need much effort/carelessness to break.

to put the long story short,

If you dont care indian warranty go with Nook-touch (Android OS ,you can even install kindle app and browsers better processor though doesn't matter for reading experience)

Kindle-touch ad free if you need warranty ,

Awesome feedback
clapping.gif

Thank you logistopath, bitsandpieces, ch@ts and Vidy

I am inclined towards the Nook Simple Touch too mainly because of the physical page turn buttons (and double the battery life compared to Kindle?). The touch interface to turn pages that I use on my Android phone is something I want to leave behind. But then again, the experience bitsandpieces had with his Kindle replacement sorta pulls me towards the device. I would want my 5k+ investment to be secure. Amazon's warranty would sure be great to have and would give me peace of mind.

It is between the Kindle Touch (No Ads) and Nook Simple Touch. How much would be the price difference? Because if not much, then I will go for the Kindle. I am willing to pay a little extra for the warranty.

Any suggestions as to where to get the best deal? Shopabroad or Shopyourworld? (I have no idea, never had anything shipped before)

Back