Please Suggest Lense for Canon 400D

nadim_90210

Disciple
Hi Guys,

I have the Canon EOS400D & i am planning to upgrade from my standard lense. I dont have much idea about lense so i need you guys to help me out here.

I am looking for a IS lense. It should be a wide angle lense. Also it should have good Zoom feature. My max budget is 10k. Is it too much that i am asking for within the limited budget???.

Please suggest which lense and where can i get them.

Thanks

within that limited budget you wont get anything like you described. best bet for zoom is 55-250 IS

I would also suggest the Canon 55-250mm IS for you... You would great quality out of this... But u'd have to swap lenses pretty often if u take random pics coz the 55-250mm would start where ur 18-55mm ends... So this would add to ur total zoom capability but with a lens change... And if u r on a budget and dont want to swap lenses then probably the best u can get would be for around 20k for a sigma/tamron 18-200mm lens...

My suggestion -> Canon EF 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens -> Around 11k (grey)

nadim_90210 said:
I am looking for a IS lense. It should be a wide angle lense. Also it should have good Zoom feature.
Thanks

Guys,

Isn't Nadim asking for a wide angle lens? How come 55-250mm lens is a wide angle?

IMO, on a 400D, which has a APS-C image frame size, anything lesser than 56mm lens could be called as wide-angle.

Let me know if i'm wrong.

Err the only wide angle with IS worth mentioning is the 17-55 f/2.8 IS which is way way beyond his budget. His post seemed confused about what he really wanted.

coolmint said:
Guys,

Isn't Nadim asking for a wide angle lens? How come 55-250mm lens is a wide angle?

IMO, on a 400D, which has a APS-C image frame size, anything lesser than 56mm lens could be called as wide-angle.

Let me know if i'm wrong.

LOL, Yeah maybe he wants a wide lens... or a tele lens which should be wide...:bleh: LOL... I think the 18-55 (kit lens) that he owns is pretty wide... Still it's unsure as to what the guy want...

From what i have gathered, he wants a super zoom (wide angle, good zoom range).

For that you will get a Tamron 18-200mm lens which is optically a rather poor lens. Also it is not image stabilized. If you can double your budget, for 19k you can get a Sigma 18-200mm OS lens which has IS and has semi-decent optics.

Thanks guys for ur response.

I am really looking at the Canon 55-250mm, & yes i am a bit confused about the type of lenses i should get.

Recently i went to swiz with the standard lenses. I can begin to tell u guys the sad experience i had with the lens.

Thus i am looking for a wide angle lens with a decent zoom capability & by understanding with your suggestions i can take a blow of 15k without swapping my original lens.

Please do advice.

BF1983 said:
From what i have gathered, he wants a super zoom (wide angle, good zoom range).

For that you will get a Tamron 18-200mm lens which is optically a rather poor lens. Also it is not image stabilized. If you can double your budget, for 19k you can get a Sigma 18-200mm OS lens which has IS and has semi-decent optics.

Neither of those solutions are as good as an 18-55 + 55-250. You get IS thru the entire range and better image quality too. The 55-250 IS is tack sharp and other than some not so creamy smooth bokeh, its hard to distinguish it from most higher end lenses. Color and contrast are excellent, sharpness is mind blowing for the price.

Swapping lenses is a small price to pay. Unfortunately even if you up your budget to 15k, you won't get anything better than this. To beat this combo, you need to step up to the 17-55 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 which will cost over a lac.

@ nadim : Dude please be a bit more clear on what you require. Are you looking to replace your kit lens since you do not like it ? Or do you want something to augment it ?

If you want to replace it, Canon has a new IS lens - 18-55mm IS for 8k. It is better than your current lens and has IS. Or get the 55-250mm IS to compliment your current lens.

@Chaos - I know its a crappy lens. But he has the old 18-55mm lens which is even worse than the 18-200 Tamron.

I have the 28-55mm lens & i find the lens very sad. No wide angle at all.That is the standard lens i got with the cam.

I am looking for a decent wide angle + decent zoom lens with a 15k budget in mind.

Based on ur suggestion i am keen about the 55-250mm lens but i guess it wont combine with my 28-55 lens???.

Please let me know what options do i have.

Thanks

Sell whatever you have and get an 18-55 IS kit lens. There will be lots on sale for cheap. Check jj mehta forums. The price with warranty is 7k so used you might get it for 5k.

Back