Playstation Plus - Discussion Thread

Hmm re downloading with both methods there has to be an easier way. I had to download spec ops twice too. The first download got corrupted.

@indy1811 like I said before the url keeps changing. If you pause and resume the urls can differ. If you start the download and then select download in background the url will differ again.
Hence it is best to start the download inn background and register the url you get. Simply pause and continue after registering the url. In 2 or so attempts it generally clicks but till then you will have to be a bit vigilant or else you will land up doing what I did for Moto Gp 13 Demo.

@quixand was the pkg file corrupted during the download or during the transfer to ps3?

Oh no I haven't tried it via PC yet. Just an observation that both PC and PS3 downloads are not one shot things. I will try out the proxy method for next months IGC already hit FUP :/

@indy1811 like I said before the url keeps changing. If you pause and resume the urls can differ. If you start the download and then select download in background the url will differ again.
Hence it is best to start the download inn background and register the url you get. Simply pause and continue after registering the url. In 2 or so attempts it generally clicks but till then you will have to be a bit vigilant or else you will land up doing what I did for Moto Gp 13 Demo.

@quixand was the pkg file corrupted during the download or during the transfer to ps3?

I checked the URL. It was the same. Could it be something to do with the firewall? I use KIS2013.

@quixand - Sorry I misunderstood what you meant by 're downloading'. Yes the method is a bit bothersome but it does allow me to limit of time needed by the PS3 to download the same file.

@indy1811 - If you get the URL in the Logs while the PS3 is connected via the PC then I doubt it is the KIS that is causing problems for you. The confusion arises from the fact that every url that you get in the logs related to the pkg file actually points to the file. So if you take any of those URLs and try and open it in IDM, FDM or a browser it starts to download the file. This makes you think you have the right url. But if you examine the urls closely you will see that the suffix varies a bit which means that at that point the PS3 was using that url and if the url you have is different then it starts to download using the internet.
In simplest words you are making a map with the Urls you get. If the Url that the PS3 refers to at that point of time is present in the urls that you have mapped then it will use the file present on your pc. If the url is not present then it has no reference and attempts to get the file from internet.

@prabs

Will have to go home and try again. I cancelled the download on the PS3 though. Assume i start a new download but the link remains the same, will it take it from my PC or the internet?

Will have to go home and try again. I cancelled the download on the PS3 though. Assume i start a new download but the link remains the same, will it take it from my PC or the internet?

Can't say for sure. I think it will be different.

Here is an example -
I downloaded Catherine using the following link -
http://zeus.dl.playstation.net/cdn/...HaOoKYVbWReebjKbA.pkg?product=008C&country=in

To copy it to my PS3 I landed up with 3 links and the third one worked. The following is what my config xml has.

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<ReplaceFiles>
<Item>
<URL>http://zeus.dl.playstation.net/cdn/...9b02bf80176aa10d35e30d0be91b045400b5939</URL>
<File>D:\XcunGdqjgjnaxmmQzzGhIuYZOJrJPheeIotkOdscioCBcEwHaOoKYVbWReebjKbA.pkg</File>
</Item>
<Item>
<URL>http://zeus.dl.playstation.net/cdn/...9b02bf80176aa10d35e30d0be91b045400b5939</URL>
<File>D:\XcunGdqjgjnaxmmQzzGhIuYZOJrJPheeIotkOdscioCBcEwHaOoKYVbWReebjKbA.pkg</File>
</Item>
<Item>
<URL>http://zeus.dl.playstation.net/cdn/...ddr=122.169.123.114&amp;downloadType=bg</URL>
</Item>
</ReplaceFiles>

See how all 3 links are different but I am making them all point to the same file. It is a trial and error method. Another thing - Here I am simply pausing and resuming copying the link putting it in the proxy server and trying to see if the link changed or did it work and each cycle barely took me any time and yet the link changed.

If you don't want the link to change simply place the link you get when you click on download. Cancel the download. Place the link in the proxy server and start the download again. Do not click 'Download in Background'. The problem with this is you can't exit the PSN store and kill time playing but I think it the links won't keep changing.

Assassin's Creed III classic edition free on IGC for September.

Jak and Daxter trilogy and PSN game Stealth Inc free too.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of trying out PS+ for 3 months @ 885/-, but I have a few questions:
1. Are there any restrictions on this option compared to the full 1-year subscription?
2. For games in the Instant Collection(?), how are they marked as purchased? Do they have to be completely downloaded immediately after purchase, or can I download later?
3. Do all the games change each month?
4. Are games on the PSN cheaper than the retail media? Take Fifa 14 for example, 2799 on the PSN vs 3799 boxed.

I'm thinking of trying out PS+ for 3 months @ 885/-, but I have a few questions:
1. Are there any restrictions on this option compared to the full 1-year subscription?
2. For games in the Instant Collection(?), how are they marked as purchased? Do they have to be completely downloaded immediately after purchase, or can I download later?
3. Do all the games change each month?
4. Are games on the PSN cheaper than the retail media? Take Fifa 14 for example, 2799 on the PSN vs 3799 boxed.

And... The answers are as following -
1. No you will have the same privileges and restrictions.
2. The moment you select a game and start downloading it is marked as purchased. You can cancel the download at anytime but the game will always be marked as purchased. You can navigate to the game later on and download it again even if it is no longer in IGC and download it - provided you are still a PSN+ member. You can also just go to downloads and start the download again.
3. Nope not all of them.
4. Yes to an extent but a boxed game has it's own advantages. You can resell them and need not waste time, bandwidth and PS3 life downloading them. There are also instances when download turns out to be corrupt and you find out about that during installation and you need to download the file all over again.

And... The answers are as following -
1. No you will have the same privileges and restrictions.
2. The moment you select a game and start downloading it is marked as purchased. You can cancel the download at anytime but the game will always be marked as purchased. You can navigate to the game later on and download it again even if it is no longer in IGC and download it - provided you are still a PSN+ member. You can also just go to downloads and start the download again.
3. Nope not all of them.
4. Yes to an extent but a boxed game has it's own advantages. You can resell them and need not waste time, bandwidth and PS3 life downloading them. There are also instances when download turns out to be corrupt and you find out about that during installation and you need to download the file all over again.

Thanks for the answers. Can you still play the game (once downloaded) if you're no longer a subscriber?

Thanks for the answers. Can you still play the game (once downloaded) if you're no longer a subscriber?
Nope but they will be there for you. As in if your subscription to PSN+ expired a week ago you can't play them or re-download those games today but if you resubscribe to the service tomorrow you will regain access to them. I am talking in terms of games you got from IGC not those you purchase using cash with or without PSN+ discounts. You will have access to those irrespective of your membership status.

Last edited:
Can't say for sure. I think it will be different.

Here is an example -
I downloaded Catherine using the following link -
http://zeus.dl.playstation.net/cdn/...HaOoKYVbWReebjKbA.pkg?product=008C&country=in

To copy it to my PS3 I landed up with 3 links and the third one worked. The following is what my config xml has.

See how all 3 links are different but I am making them all point to the same file. It is a trial and error method. Another thing - Here I am simply pausing and resuming copying the link putting it in the proxy server and trying to see if the link changed or did it work and each cycle barely took me any time and yet the link changed.

If you don't want the link to change simply place the link you get when you click on download. Cancel the download. Place the link in the proxy server and start the download again. Do not click 'Download in Background'. The problem with this is you can't exit the PSN store and kill time playing but I think it the links won't keep changing.

I am attempting to follow the same method. According to the CHIP guide, if (after starting the download) the URL in the log window redirects to the file on my PC, it means that the PS3 is downloading from my PC and not the internet. Is there anyway to verify this? I only ask because the transfer time (over Wifi) is more than what it would take me to actually download the file from the internet.

All three links are exactly the same (see screenshot)
PS3.PNG

I am attempting to follow the same method. According to the CHIP guide, if (after starting the download) the URL in the log window redirects to the file on my PC, it means that the PS3 is downloading from my PC and not the internet. Is there anyway to verify this? I only ask because the transfer time (over Wifi) is more than what it would take me to actually download the file from the internet.

View attachment 27657

Have you forwarded your port?

Last edited:

View attachment 27657

I am guessing that you binded the url that you got when you started the download. When you do that i.e., download from 'View Downloads' it simultaneously lists the same url thrice and the pointer '->' shows that the file is pointing to the one that you have on HDD. PS3 is actually downloading from Internet blissfully unaware that it should do it from your PC.

I didn't use the usual method and used this yesterday and only realized the mistake later on. Gianna sisters is a good game but I wasted over 3 GB on a 1.7 GB game. 1.7 GB the actual game & 1.3 or more which I accidentally downloaded without realizing where my PS3 was downloading from.

Download using proxy is much much faster compared to the actual internet. Even on my Failtel provided crappy Beetel router the transfer rate is around 1 mbps compare that to around 240 kbps that I get for my 2 mbps connection. For this purpose I now use ethernet cable between my laptop and PS3 via router. Downloading is super quick. I am relying on that for Dragon's Dogma 11.6 GB :eek:

Have you forwarded your port?
Not needed.

P.S.: How did I miss VITA written near SF X Tekken. More bandwidth wasted :mad:

We just wanted to let you know that we are making some changes to your PlayStation®Plus membership. In order to make it easier for you to track your renewal date, PlayStation®Plus memberships are moving to calendar months so that each renewal will happen on the same day of the month.From 10th October, your membership will automatically renew at the end of each 12 month membership period, instead of 365 days, and you will be charged in accordance with the SEN Terms of Service and User Agreement (eu.playstation.com/legal/).The cost of your membership will remain the same at INR2950.00.We hope that you continue to enjoy PlayStation®Plus.

Some new communication from Sony for PS+ subscribers.

Back