CPU/Mobo Phenom & Spider reviews

Decent performance for all the hype it caused. Heck even my E6600 beats it in some tests!

The only plus is that the 9700 (Currently the flagship model) will clock in below $300.

Just disappointing, price will be the only front where they can win i.e. if they are willing to drop the price upto that much. I was hoping more from AMD :'(

Good option for those who have AM2 board for upgrading, but doesn't offer much reason for new system builders than going for Core2 chips.

I think besides the class I mentioned, die-hard fanboys who stayed away from Core2 processors for no apparent reason would be the prospective buyers for AMD.

Anand Lal Shimpi -

Here's what really frightens us: the way AMD has priced Phenom leaves Intel with a great opportunity to increase prices with Penryn without losing the leadership position. Intel could very well introduce the Core 2 Quad Q9300 (2.33GHz) at $269 and still remain quite competitive with Phenom, moving the Q9450 into more expensive waters. Intel has't announced what it's doing with Penryn pricing in Q1, but our fear is that a weak showing from Phenom could result in an upward trend in processor prices. And this is exactly why we needed AMD to be more competitive with Phenom.

Upward trend in processor prices.:mad:

vij said:
But now Intel can kill the mouse with good pricing.

I second that. They can do more long-term damage to AMD with good pricing. Its better than getting a bit more profit for a short while. At least thats what a company like Microsoft would think like if they were in the same position as Intel.

ill see it this way...we should stick with a processer for 2-3 years rather than changing it frequent...mayb till than amd comes up....with something gr8

No FX version to begin with,is really a sign of trouble. Native quad core should have worked better, but amd seems to be in a mess here.

BTW, does that HEXUS review shows that Dual Core > Quad for most daily work ? :bleh:

iGo said:
Good option for those who have AM2 board for upgrading, but doesn't offer much reason for new system builders than going for Core2 chips.

I think besides the class I mentioned, die-hard fanboys who stayed away from Core2 processors for no apparent reason would be the prospective buyers for AMD.

Considering most systems are sold with onboard display - it has everything to offer to new system builders,

A dual display (690G) mobo + CPU + 2 GB 800Mhz RAM could be had for under 15k - For most users this combo will last them forever. I have a Q6600, but I think the next one will be an AMD purely on the price.

I can't get an equivalent Intel for under 20, and even then the onboard is not as exciting, and only single display.

Oh dear, i've been waiting for this new Q9300 and what anandtech says cud very well be true...:( But intel can really kill the game once n for all if they price it right...tht'll be a big blow to AMD... Though i'm loving the pathetic condition of AMD at the moment, but i wish they stay around so tht intel doesnt go over the top with their pricing once again...:no:

Back