OC & Modding PCI Express Frequency

i recently put together a rig with the following specs

Processor: Intel E6600 SL9S8 Rev.B2

RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS2-6400C5 @ 1.8V

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L Rev1.0 (recieved with F3 bios; flashed to F4/F5A)

Graphics Card: Palit HD 4850 512MB

PSU: Corsair TX650W

My problem lies with the "PCI Express frequency" settings which can be locked at 100 only upto 341Mhz on the FSB in my case. Any higher(i.e. FSB 342Mhz and above) and the system resets to Default settings:( . Recieved the board with the F3 bios and flashed to F4 and F5a. Results are the same. Is it advisable to OC the FSB with "PCI Express Frequency" set to "Auto" on this particular motherboard even though it is advised against by popular opinion? Anyone here facing this issue on Gigabyte boards let alone the GA-EP31-DS3L version?

I have the GA-EP31-DS3L mobo, and am on the F3 bios.

Havent tried much of changing the PCI-e freq, will checkup and get back to you.

neur0tic said:
I have the GA-EP31-DS3L mobo, and am on the F3 bios.

Havent tried much of changing the PCI-e freq, will checkup and get back to you.

here are my bios settings:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]

CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]

CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [341]

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100] Cannot set to 100 above 341Mhz FSB. Defaults to Auto and default bios when set to 342Mhz+:(

C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]

System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40]

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

memory frequency (mhz)______800______ 818

Performance Enhance________[Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5

Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5

Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 5

Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 5

Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9

Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6

Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 55

Read to Precharge Delay__________ 6

Static tRead Value_______________ 8

Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control___ +0.1

PCI-E OverVoltage Control___ +0.1

FSB OverVoltage Control___ +0.1

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control___ +0.1

CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.281250]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]

No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]

CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]

Virtualization Technology.................: [Disabled]

Turns out that my E6600 is OCCT[1hour] stable @ 3.07Ghz with 1.28125V.

do not use 101MHz+ PCI Express Frequency with any ATI 48xx Graphics Card else the PC will just reboot continuously so better keep it locked at 100/101MHz instead of Auto :)

SetFSB reads the PCI Express Frequency at 120Mhz when set to Auot within Bios and at 400Mhz FSB.

System boots without a hitch at 3.6Ghz @ 400MHZ(1600)FSB

sid_donnydarko said:
@sato....according to Gigabyte this board supports 1600 O.C :huh:

zzzzzz Dude, u got it all Wrong...

i have the Ditto same mobo n leme suggest smthing..

1600FSB is the FSB which the mobo can handle...its not the PCI-E frequency...

PCI_E freq is the speed of the PCI-E Bus, and Till date, NO GRAPHIC CARD ALLOWS A PCI-E FREQUENCY >101Mhz ...

So Read my lips:

If u wna OC the Graphic Card: Use Riva Tuner (Overclocking Software) and Stop fiddling with the PCI-E frequency.

U may result in a Blown-up Card if u increase PCI-E freq.

Incase u wna OC the FSB, increase the CPU Host Frequency as Shown in this link...Kindly set PCI-E freq to Auto/100Mhz

sato1986 said:
zzzzzz Dude, u got it all Wrong...

i have the Ditto same mobo n leme suggest smthing..

1600FSB is the FSB which the mobo can handle...its not the PCI-E frequency...

PCI_E freq is the speed of the PCI-E Bus, and Till date, NO GRAPHIC CARD ALLOWS A PCI-E FREQUENCY >101Mhz ...

So Read my lips:

If u wna OC the Graphic Card: Use Riva Tuner (Overclocking Software) and Stop fiddling with the PCI-E frequency.
U may result in a Blown-up Card if u increase PCI-E freq.

Incase u wna OC the FSB, increase the CPU Host Frequency as Shown in this link...Kindly set PCI-E freq to Auto/100Mhz

Now thats a bit too much :)
nothing you do is going to BLOW UP your card....its pretty much impossible to do that :p
i guess you will probably hit a rebbot cycle or something first

Its results in better OC and good amount of difference in in-game fps. Its can potentially damage the HDD, it will affect storage controllers etc. Nvidia actually reccommended it, 9600GT had a link on the card that multiplied clocks based on the PCI-e bus, better overclocker. All 3D mark fans try this to get better scores.

My 8800GT started to give problems (black screens etc), and I seletced 106MHz PCIe and it worked for next 3-4 months gr8, then died completely. So I can say it gives more stability in some cases.

SidhuPunjab said:
Its results in better OC and good amount of difference in in-game fps. Its can potentially damage the HDD, it will affect storage controllers etc. Nvidia actually reccommended it, 9600GT had a link on the card that multiplied clocks based on the PCI-e bus, better overclocker. All 3D mark fans try this to get better scores.

My 8800GT started to give problems (black screens etc), and I seletced 106MHz PCIe and it worked for next 3-4 months gr8, then died completely. So I can say it gives more stability in some cases.

i read the same on a few other forums. but i didn't notice much difference in performance when running warhead FBMH/fc2 benchmarks, i.e, PCI-E Frequency set at 100Mhz(3069Mhz) versus PCI-E Frequency set at 120Mhz(3600Mhz). Suprising that a 530Mhz overclock produced a difference of 0.5FPS in both real world benchmarks. Maybe, no wait, hopefully 3dmark06 will tell a different story;)

changing pcie frequency increases bandwidth but not neccessarily fps,and it burning gfx card is bullshit.i ran 110 for a week and i didn't notice any data corruption which is said to be a real occurrence instead of things going up in flames.
you can use auto settings for pcie with a 4850,just use a program which can tell you its real time settings.

gamervivek said:
changing pcie frequency increases bandwidth but not neccessarily fps,and it burning gfx card is bullshit.i ran 110 for a week and i didn't notice any data corruption which is said to be a real occurrence instead of things going up in flames.

you can use auto settings for pcie with a 4850,just use a program which can tell you its real time settings.

System is fine when set to Auto at 1600Mhz FSB(400x4)/3600Mhz OC(9x multi). Boots and runs stable. SetFSB reveals that my PCI express frequency is at 120Mhz, i.e, the Motherboard overclocks the PCI Express Frequency, 20Mhz above the "supposedly" normal 100Mhz frequency.

Now for the tough part. My question is if it is safe to run the motherboard with PCI Express Frequency set to "Auto" when the motherboard internally locks the PCI Express Frequency to 120Mhz at 1600Mhz FSB(400x4)?

I can manually lock the PCI Express Frequency at 100Mhz within the bios only upto 1364Mhz FSB(341x4). Furthermore SetFSB concurs as well.

From 1370Mhz FSB(342x4) onwards, i am forced to set the PCI Express Frequency to "Auto" within the bios in order to boot.

For all the members who have OC experience -

Do you guys set the PCI Express Frequency to AUTO to reach higher FSB's or can you lock it at 100 and ramp up the FSB?

Thanks

on n my P5B deluxe I can lock PCIe freq to 100 and still reach higher FSB but on my GA g31mx s2 i have a problem similar to yours.

Back