e6300
msi neo2
7100 gs
index cabby n psu
2g corsair ram
160g hdd
1 dvd writer

and then changed the gpu to x1900xtx and psu to smartpower 2.0 500w

it was running fine till today...didnt play any games as the cabby was crammed. so only browsing and songs was done.

i just switched it on, opened windows, then the net..and at about a min or so, the pc shuts down..then a burning smell(oh boy)

i tried restarting, it switches off before windows opens

then i removed the gpu and put on the 7100 back in...i get a msg with the MSI logo " warning:" it was something about overclocking has not worked out last time or so (no, i didnt overclock:mad: )..before i could make some sense of it the screen goes blank again

then i removed the psu...and put the old index back in(as it was working fine with earlier configuration)...same result

i am not sure whether the msg on overclocking came after replacing the gpu or after replacing the psu

then i removed evething, i had put them back...same result..

and i guess the burning smell is coming from the cpu cooler...does the cpu paste is actually a paste??...it was just a ash color as far as saw it...

any suggestions on wat i shld check just to confirm the source...thankfully ordered my as5 yesterday before all this happened (but out station courier:S )

if u got a burning smell, remove and check each part to see if there's a blackening somewhere on it. check mobo, ram and the gpu's.

if u can smell some burnt smell coming from the psu - then its probably busted.

i think some short circuit happened or one of the connections were loose (DVD-Drive or HDD) thats why ur pc shut down. disassemble everyting and then assemble everything. this may solve ur prob.

if u got a burning smell, remove and check each part to see if there's a blackening somewhere on it. check mobo, ram and the gpu's.
if u can smell some burnt smell coming from the psu - then its probably busted.

i tried looking for something blackened...didnt see any

mobo...no...but on a second thought ...i didnt check the rear of mobo ..will do that

ram...had a casual look..will relook

gpu...replaced with my old gpu...still no luck

i tried putting back my old psu..no luck there...

i think some short circuit happened or one of the connections were loose (DVD-Drive or HDD) thats why ur pc shut down. disassemble everyting and then assemble everything. this may solve ur prob.

possible....but i removed everything and reconnected already...unless i missed some connection:ashamed:

Back