CPU/Mobo PC Not Starting, possible Mobo problem

mitraark

Adept
Hello,

I was watching some videos when all of a sudden the screen went all scrambled. I hit the reset button but PC didn't startup after this.

I opened the cabinet and saw nothing was running. Turning on power just resulted in a blink of light on the keyboard, and the mouse lights up (it usually doesn't until windows starts, doesn't it?) Nothing is running, CPU Fan, SMPS fan, nothing. No sound.

I tried connecting another PSU, it didn't work, same thing. Disconnected HdD, DVD, Ram one at a time, still nothing.

I am assuming the motherboard is dead (all of a sudden at that) what else can I try? Also, how to RMA motherboard? What do I say when RMA center ask how I know motherboard is not working?

AMD X2 260
Gigabyte M68
2GB DDR3 Kingston
Frontech 500W PSU (tested with Corsair CX400)

Your motherboard seems to have failed. You can RMA it if it is under warranty period. Just take it to the authorized service center or the vendor from whom you had bought it. You can also check the motherboard manufacturers website online on how to RMA. Check the below links for more info.

http://www.gigabyte.in/WebPage/-1/tech_121022_india.htm

http://www.gigabyte.in/WebPage/-1/tech_121022_india_p2.htm

http://www.gigabyte.in/gigabyte.aspx?s=-1&p=

Your PSU brand is not a good one. Always go for brands like Antec or Corsair.

Did your problem is solved?
Please share some information with me.
Did you try your SMPS separately with only AC power supply. I mean after removing the SMPS form the cabinet did you try your SMPS with AC Power Supply? I ask this because i can not under stand if there is a motherboard failure then why SMPS fan is not running.
Did you check your AC power supply cord?
Did you use UPS, if yes then did it work fine?
And if there is Motherboard failure then DVD power light should blink on starting, did you notice that? Because DVD power is direct from PSU.

The SMPS fan starts only after you turn ON your PC. How do I just connect it to AC Power and check if it's working it not?
I used another working SMPS to power the PC ,it didn't start. A different power cable was used, so the power cable isn't the problem.

I don't have an UPS, how is that relevant here?

Yes, the DVD light, Keyboard and Mouse light, all blink once when I switch on the power.

I appreciate your concern for me using a cheap PSU, and it is possible that the PSU could have damaged my motherboard, but it is not right to jump to conclusions based on exaggerated preconceived notions. The Frontech PSU works fine, I used it on another PC.

I'll get my motherboard RMA'd, have kept it out separately, don't know how they're fixed, they'll use their own Processor? Lets hope I get it back ASAP.

I appreciate your concern for me using a cheap PSU, and it is possible that the PSU could have damaged my motherboard, but it is not right to jump to conclusions based on exaggerated preconceived notions. The Frontech PSU works fine, I used it on another PC.

I'll get my motherboard RMA'd, have kept it out separately, don't know how they're fixed, they'll use their own Processor? Lets hope I get it back ASAP.

Dude, your Frontech PSU works fine but it may have resulted in doing damage to your motherboard. They may or may not supply the correct voltage required by the PC. You can't be sure on the failure rate of these PSUs. Investing in a good brand PSU makes sense because you can keep it for nearly 2-3 years without any issues and change per your requirement when the need arises. Your PC and components will be safe that way.

Don't risk your RMAed motherboard again by using the same Frontech PSU. Go for Antec, Corsair or some other good brand PSU. It will be worth it.

Back