Graphic Cards Palit High Failure Rate?

spindoctor

Skilled
hey guys,

i'm buying a couple of gpus for a new system i'm building and i've been considering getting palit nv gpus. now here's the thing... on this forum in particular, palit seems to have something of a bad reputation when it comes to failure rates. i've seen in quite a few threads, people post now and then that palit have high failure rates. however, i've searched the entire forum all the way through and i haven't found a single thread where someone actually says that their card died on them, let alone multiple. i'm wondering how palit came to have this reputation... is it based on fact or just a myth that keeps getting stronger the more it propagates through the forums?

don't mean to offend anyone who believes that palit has high failure rates... i'm genuinely curious.

There were a couple of failing 4850's. But there were a couple of failures for XFX, MSI, EVGA too.. does that make them a bad brand?

I would rather inquire about the after sales service, there are a couple of horror stories, and couple of not so horror stories.

I think there were a couple of batches of Palit cards which had a high failure rate.This is not something that is common to all Palit cards.I have myself used one for many months without a single problem.
This reputation is also probably because palit cards are usually the cheapest on the market.
Palit cards are identical to those sold under the name of Gainward which is a company of good repute.

hi.. i've used three palit cards.. an HD 4850 sonic edition bought last November and two HD 4670's super edition both bought in march of this year.. all three working gr8 without any issues wtsoever.. the custom cooling helps as well.. i'm nt really a fanboy bt i would say tht as long as Palit keeps their current pricing i've no hesitation in getting one frm them over other brands.. as for service.. i've not had a failed card yet :hap2: and neither have several of my frnds who use palit cards.. :clap:

Using palit 4870 since last year. No temps issues whatsoever. Do keep in mind that there is always a possibility that anything can fail for many reasons. Either it can be user's ignorance or a defect which is purely an uncontrollable issue.

That's the problem when reading out user's so called "reviews" compared to getting a proper advice/recommendation/review from well informed technically sound users/reviewers. There are some users in this forum who compare processors, rams, GPU, case, fans, etc as if they are comparing dress materials from 2 different companies :p.

My EVGA 8800GT died, does that make them a bad brand ? NashX, Hacker, Sidhupunjab, Sourcewop's EVGA cards also died :( I guess it was just faulty batch, same can happen in case of other brands also, sometimes NVidia-ATi are to blame, U forgot Nvidia G92 defected chip scandal ?

My ASUS & XFX have also died. That doesn't sully the brand tho. Palit does not really deserve such a reputation as the price/ performance is good.

@spindoctor-i really appreciate u makin this thread !! had the same problem wen i wanted to buy gtx260(yet to buy)!!! everyone in this forum hate the palit cards especially gtx260sp216 sonic!!! so i did a bit of research on it!!! actually palit's cards hav got the best reviews n also its the cheapest among all the other brands!! ppl who usually pay 3-4k extra for the same card(evga,xfx asus etc),try to spread news like these!!
tats the only reason thr is so much bashin for palit cards!! its the card wit best vfm:)

@foruamit2004 - u hav said ur palit card died after 8 months,wat happened?? was it really difficult gettin the rma??? how much time did it take? did it cost u??

Sato1986, has done an in-depth analysis of failure rate of gfx chips and has come to a conclusion that Palit is the worst brand ever. Infact he even has a probability rate of failure of a Palit card. Infact he has definitive numbers for most of his analysis, like what is the probability of RMAing a product etc... (FYI Gartner research charges USD 1k for a report detailing on AMD/Intel marketshare, maybe TE can look for a revenue stream here) :)

PM him maybe he can be of help :)

Well, truth be told, members @ TDF forums are saying palit is bad without any knowledge and it seem to be a generic sentence for them. One of the cases I have seen was purely because of the psu, I am pretty some of the issues follow suit. Unfortunately some them are here in a bulk. They are not willing to learn things properly, they just want to have a debate for the heck of it and make scientific wise arse comments. People find it convenient to blame one product rather than trying to find out the cause of it.

Not that I am saying they are all bad. But they should be open in learning something good over here- rather than trying to sabotage other people's hardwork here.

The Sorcerer said:
There's a difference between cheap and value for money.
I know, not sure what made you feel it was important to point that out.

Regardless most Palit products are priced at ~10% lower than most competition, without a doubt that does make an amateur doubt its quality. Which is exactly why I used the word "paranoia". (refer; exaggerated distrust without proper reasoning)

:rofl: LMAO

Aces170 said:
Sato1986, has done an in-depth analysis of failure rate of gfx chips and has come to a conclusion that Palit is the worst brand ever. Infact he even has a probability rate of failure of a Palit card. Infact he has definitive numbers for most of his analysis, like what is the probability of RMAing a product etc... (FYI Gartner research charges USD 1k for a report detailing on AMD/Intel marketshare, maybe TE can look for a revenue stream here) :)

:D :ashamed: now what can i say ... i used to recommend palit in the past although people's cards were failing... but then it happened to me and hence it had crossed the thin red line between support n hatred :p

Aces170 said:

:rofl::rofl:
Absolutely killed him.

For some reason unkown to most of us, Sato has these extremely passionate opinions about technology. I his words... Everything except for a few lucky brands just COMPLETELY SUCKS AND SHOULD NOT BE PURCHASED

Two of my friends bought palit 4850's. between them, there must be at least 5 dead cards (including a 4870 :p) and about 8 months spent waiting for the card to return from RMA and a few K in shipping between the two of them and multiple RMA's.

This is across cards which are bought from separate locations, and spread across multiple batches. If i were you, I wouldnt

greenhorn said:
Two of my friends bought palit 4850's. between them, there must be at least 5 dead cards (including a 4870 :p) and about 8 months spent waiting for the card to return from RMA and a few K in shipping between the two of them and multiple RMA's.

This is across cards which are bought from separate locations, and spread across multiple batches. If i were you, I wouldnt

sorry!! din get u!! how many 4850's they bought?? how many times did the rma??? y wait 8 months for card to return!!??

Back