OC & Modding Painting inside of my Cabby - need suggestions !

m1h1r

Adept
Sep 24, 2008
Starkville, MS
Hi everyone !

I have a Zebronics Bijli cabinet. I just wanted to paint the inside of the cabinet "black". I don't want to paint the outside as it is already black.
As I'm painting the inside, I don't want a shine.. (will be of absolutely of no use)...

I want suggestions to paint it... Any type of suggestions like how to paint, where to paint, which paint to use, where will I get it in Mumbai, etc. are expected... :)

axeman

Ye Olde Systems Breaker
Skilled
Apr 28, 2009
Asleep 1-4
www.torrentleech.org
Use spray paint cans (automotive or any other decent finish) (BOSNY is one common brand avail at stationery and hardware stores now), empty the cabbie out fully, move to an open area, color.

The Sorcerer

Skilled
Jun 16, 2007
hardwarebbq.com
I have seen some of your posts around. You are seriously about modding your case I see :D

You have choices- on your own or the KMD route. Doing the joy of doing on your own (maybe a probability of messing it up- but that's the fun part) or getting it properly via KMD. Many people have done it here, pretty surprising no1 given any advice yet.

Ronnie gogs have done this:

45.jpg

I assume you are talking about this kind of finishing.

stalker

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
you could also try taking your cabbie to some autoworkshop where they paint vehicles.. those chaps should be able to do it for you for a reasonable amount

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
^Amen to that. Should turn out to be cheaper. A Bosny automotive spray paint can would set you back by 200 bucks. The garage peeps might charge hardly a couple of hundred bucks more? Seems VFM to me. Besides, you end up getting a better finish.

You wouldn't have to do the preparatory work either. ;)

Please be aware that if you do a powder-coating, the holes in the cabinet are going to shrink by a margin. I've experienced that myself. (The motherboard screw holes on the panel shrinked and I'd a slightly harder time screwing the board to the chassis. :p

m1h1r

Adept
Sep 24, 2008
Starkville, MS
^What type of paint do the car painters use?? and will it be completely okay if they are used on cabinets??

Also, where can I get a masking tape?? want it to cover the exterior of the cabby while painting.. :eek:hyeah:

HailStonE

Skilled
Sep 29, 2006
^^... Masking Tape can be bought from Paint/Hardware/Stationary shop as well... The paint they use for metallic colors is called DuPont paint which is pretty shiny... If you want matt finish then tell them beforehand & they will help you out... Its also cheaper than DuPont....

I suggest you remove all the plastic parts & unscrew all the panels which you can... Then use the masking tape on areas not removed & need protection from paint job... If there is already a coat of paint (stock cabinet) then I recommend to sand blast the case but it will increase expense.... Also hard to find but it will give you a smooth surface for primer/ paint & will have much longer life...

All depends on your local resources & the amount of money + time you are willing to spend... :)

m1h1r

Adept
Sep 24, 2008
Starkville, MS
How many coats of paint should I apply??

@HailStonE

I'm painting only the interior and I don't want matt finish. I'll be using CCFLs, LEDs inside my cabby. So the shine I'll get by sanding/priming would go un-noticed...

So I'll not be doing sanding/priming etc..

m1h1r

Adept
Sep 24, 2008
Starkville, MS
^^Ok.. So will I also need a Primer??

Let me know what items are required for sanding and how it is done...

I had seen videos where they used a mouse-sander to do the sanding..

axeman

Ye Olde Systems Breaker
Skilled
Apr 28, 2009
Asleep 1-4
www.torrentleech.org
Sand Blast +1, Also getting it done outside has a benefit, they can heatbake the cabinet so the paint dries properly, and has a better finish, and is more long lasting. Make some enquires already!!!

Apr 9, 2008
Kolhapur<-->Pune
what does sandblasting costs?

I think it would be quite costly......

If you are going paint cabby, before painting you must use sandpaper on surface before painting. So paint would last longer(doing sandpaper will not allow paint to peel off).

Using sandpaper turn out very cheap. You can get Sandpaper for metals @10Rs/sheet (100,200,400 Grit).

Sandbalsting will have following advantage over using Sandpaper:

Unreachable corners in cabby using sandpaper will also be covered.

You won't need efforts to do, as you would need while doing Sandpaper.

I donno any other advantages.

So, for me it's using sandpaper. cheap solution:cool2: .

m1h1r

Adept
Sep 24, 2008
Starkville, MS
I just brought BOSNY Flat Black Spray Paint and a masking tape.. :eek:hyeah:
img1016l.jpg
Sudarshan_SMD said:
If you are going paint cabby, before painting you must use sandpaper on surface before painting. So paint would last longer(doing sandpaper will not allow paint to peel off).
Using sandpaper turn out very cheap. You can get Sandpaper for metals @1Rs/sheet (100,200,400 Grit).
I purchased the Sandpaper which is used by carpenters for wood.. Will it be OK?? :S