PC Peripherals Opinions on config for new comp

Ank1t

Skilled
Hey

Im getting a new comp and after alllot of research, i shortlisted these parts:
(the items are taken from Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras, and Electronics as i might the getting them from the site itself or atleast at similar prices.. any1 know places in dubai??).

1)Motherboards:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe $190
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com
OR
ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe $180
ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com

Both these products are pretty much the same except for the fact that one has SLI while the other Crossfire. Tats the only thing iv to decide..any views?? Also, i get a $50 discount if i take the second motherboard cuz of the processor iv chosen.

2)Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice $110
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor - Retail at Newegg.com
OR
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice $145
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor - Retail at Newegg.com

Iv pretty much decided on the 3800+ but views are welcome..

3)Video card:

Now, the cards iv seen are XFX cards but i dunno how the suport of this company is in india. I know tat the cards are also locally available..but support??

XFX 6800 XTreme $135
XFX Geforce 6800 XTreme PVT42EUDE3 Video Card - Retail at Newegg.com
OR
XFX PV-T73G-UDE3 Geforce 7600GT $180
XFX Geforce 7600GT PV-T73G-UDE3 Video Card - Retail at Newegg.com

there's a 6800 card of eVGA too.. but again.. support for the company..
Again, there are some Sapphire ati cards like X800Pro and X850XT and the higher X1800 etc.. but same question as above..

4)Hard disk:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB $110
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM at Newegg.com
OR
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB $110
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM at Newegg.com

Only choice to be made here is of the company.. though western digital seems to be the fav on the site.

5)Dvd writer:

Samsung w/ lightscribe w/ 5x DVD-RAM write $35
SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black ATA/ATAPI Model SH-S162L/BEBN - OEM at Newegg.com
OR
NEC writer $35
NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM at Newegg.com

hows NEC in india?? i was also considering Benq or Lite-on.. any views?

6)Memory:

Heres the thing.. As far as i know, say 1GB RAM here is available for about Rs3500.. tats around 7k for 2GB. I was initially planning on going for 1GB but then i saw these offers by "Corsair" (yup)
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) $180
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail at Newegg.com
or
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB)
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory - Retail at Newegg.com

tats about Rs 1.5k more but then again its corsair.. worth it??
Rest of the things are standard... Any views and suggestions??

Besides this.. which uses more power and generates more heat : AMD or Intel??

And how much power supply will i need?

Motherboard: ASUS A8N32- SLI Deluxe seems to have better cooling sol. integrated in the board with copper pipes, hence prefer this Board, performance they are quite similar.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ seems to be sufficient, if you can spend 10k more then go for AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ sells for around Rs. 15,500/-

Graphics Card: Prefer ATi X1900 or Nvidias 7900GT based Graphics Card, if you have the budget. ASUS EN7900GT TOP [Source : CHIP, June 2006 Edition] sells for around Rs. 24,500/-.

Hard Disk: Go for a Seagate 320GB SATA II based Hard Disk.

DVD Writer: Go for SONY DRU 820A or LiteON All Write DVD Writer. (Stay away from LG or Samsung DVD Writers)

RAM: Corsair XMS (1GB*2) 2 GB RAM for overclocking

Power Supply: Antec TruePower 2.0 550W -> Rs. 6900/-[Source: theitdepot.com] (Go for at least 550W or above from reputed brands like Antec or Cooler Master).

are u in USA, if not i dun think newegg ships to anywhere else. if u can wait, wait for conroe to release.

Do u Overclock?? if yes even a 3000+/3200+ wud be fine. an x2 wud be good.

for gfx i wud suggest 7900gt/x1800xt, comes abt 300$ but is very good.

as for the power supply i wud suggest Antec NeoHE500 over the Antec TP2 550.

I would suggest you to wait a bit. The 939 platform has basically been declared EOL. With AMD reducing its processor portfolio for the same all thats going to happen is a downward spiral on pricing for both the processors and the mobos.

This in turn is also going to hit DDR memory prices. All these companies are going to try and push out their stock.

To have an open upgrade path it would probably be better to jump to the AM2 platform.

Adopt a wait and watch. Make your final decision towards the end of July.

@4mer

Im not in US but ther's someone coming from there.. (actually someone or the other keeps comin n goin) tats y newegg..

Im not reallly into OC and the x2 is $150 more... worth it?

@darknight

Well iv been waitin for a verrrry long time.. u sure its really worth it to wait till juy end?

@arnov

the specs u givin me really pushes up the price on all the parts..!

I guess in computers, like mobiles the more u wait the better.... but than u can keep waiting for the rest of your life before buying a computer. As they just keep getting cheaper and faster by the day.

^^ the different thing about that situation and what is in front of us in 1 month's time is arrival of totally new architecture by Intel which is all set to outperform whatever cpu amd have in market now.

And it would cost less than some of the X2s now.

If you ask me if there is right time to wait, its now.

You will get soo much extra horsepower after 1 month for same price. Or you will get this exact same config at much lower price as AMD is all set to slash their processor prices after the launch of Conroe.

Back