Budget 51-70k One laptop for kid (Studies and light gaming) and wife (light entertainment)

Futureized

Skilled
Hello,
I am new to laptops, never bought/suggested any for myself and/or friends/relatives
Looking for one/single laptop which will be shared among teenage kid and wife.
Mostly will be used for browsing, watching YouTube videos and videos via VLC media player.
Kid will be happy with light gaming on medium or low settings. (games like NFS most wanted, far cry primal or GTA 5)
Will require at least 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD storage (if possible an additional slot to add 1 TB sata storage)
Budget can be increased a little, if there are better options.

What's your Budget? (e.g. >30K, not more than 50K etc.)
= Under 80K

What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? (e.g. web surfing/office apps/Casual Gaming)
= Browsing, Youtube videos, Watch movies using VLC media player on external speakers, MS Office apps, Online classes,
Light gaming (NFs Most Wanted, Far Cry Primal)

What size and weight considerations do you have? (e.g. Do you want a 17" desktop replacement or you want an ultraportable 12" or something in between)
= Not strict but less weight is preferred for easy carrying

Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? (e.g some would prefer to stay away from Acer or Dell)
= No

Any other considerations? (e.g Battery life; Widescreen/non-widescreen; Glossy/Matte screen etc.)
= Good battery, not sure about widescreen or non-widescreen, color matte as kids first laptop.

Ram/HDD
= Minimum 16 Gb Ram and atleast 512 GB HDD, will require another slot to intall a sata drive upto 1 TB for stoage.

From Mumbai
= Can purchase online or from Lamington Road

OS
= Will prefer DOS based as already have Windows 10 Keys bought from TE

Apps like Ms Office etc.
= Will purchase yearly subscrption of Ms Office 365 family..

I was considering a similar laptop but with an OLED screen. So a few of what I looked into - Vivobook Pro 14X comes with 5900HX and 3050Ti, but is around 96k. If this is a bit much, Vivobook Pro 15 OLED, comes with a 5600H and 3050 and under 80k. But, don't think either of these laptops have a 2nd m.2 slot.

If OLED screen is not a consideration, check out Asus Dash F15, comes with some i5 processor and 3050, but definitely has 2 m.2 slots.

This is from browsing a while back when I was considering buying a laptop. So, I have no idea about newer options. Just worth a look.

This one is available at 67K after a good discount. Light weight and comes with pen . Perfect laptop for study and entertainment.

This one is available at 67K after a good discount. Light weight and comes with pen . Perfect laptop for study and entertainment.
Thanks most of laptops checked comes with Windows 11 pre-installed.
IS there any option to buy dos based laptops ?

I have 2 licenses of Windows 10 PRO purchased last year.

Didn't want to make a new thread and I think this goes with OP's thread too.
How's this laptop for a friend of mine (For BBA college)
Looks quite decent for the price. College recommended him to buy laptops with an i5 along with 16 gigs of ram. This specific laptop seems to be almost a year old now but I still feel it;s quite strong.
What's your opinion on this?
Laptop seems to come with an m.2 ssd?
1683656776019.png

I'm so sorry but I don't know anything about storage. Is that like the best of the best?

Max display brightness & colour gamut doesn't look good. I think this is one of those cheap ideapads with TN panel (Edit - Nevermind, just looked closer at the specs). Remember learning this from another thread. I'll link it here. I think your requirement is also similar, so you might find some suggestions there.

Last edited:
Max display brightness & colour gamut doesn't look good. I think this is one of those cheap ideapads with TN panel (Edit - Nevermind, just looked closer at the specs). Remember learning this from another thread. I'll link it here. I think your requirement is also similar, so you might find some suggestions there.
What would be an ideal display brightness and colour gamut? Don't really know it that well. Ideally he won't be touching anything creative software wise (vid editing, photoshop etc). If it serves just fine then it's okay too.

What would be an ideal display brightness and colour gamut?
I'd say 300nits minimum & 100% sRGB.

he won't be touching anything creative software wise
sRGB is the most basic of colour gamuts I know and is widely used in general consumer content. So, this is only the bare minimum. There should be some images/videos online of the difference from which you could get a rough idea. But if possible, visit a store where you see it for yourselves hands-on.

Didn't want to make a new thread and I think this goes with OP's thread too.
How's this laptop for a friend of mine (For BBA college)
Looks quite decent for the price. College recommended him to buy laptops with an i5 along with 16 gigs of ram. This specific laptop seems to be almost a year old now but I still feel it;s quite strong.
Laptop seems to come with an m.2 ssd?
View attachment 167698

I'm so sorry but I don't know anything about storage. Is that like the best of the best?
I believe that the screen is very good (since it is a gaming laptop and IPS display is mentioned in the product specs). The processor is also very good. Just the laptop may be quite heavy (and the adapter would be quite heavy as well) for it to be comfortably carried everyday to college.
I have the Lenovo Legion Y540. It has a fantastic screen. This Ideapad Gaming 3 may not be far behind in the screen department. If your friend is sceptical, ask him to visit a Lenovo showroom and look at a display piece.

If your friend is looking for something portable, the HP 14s is there (screen won't be that good) with an AMD 5600U processor. And if he wants a good screen, the HP Pavilion 14 is there with an IPS screen. 15 inch version of these laptops also exist.

I believe that the screen is very good (since it is a gaming laptop and IPS display is mentioned in the product specs). The processor is also very good. Just the laptop may be quite heavy (and the adapter would be quite heavy as well) for it to be comfortably carried everyday to college.
I have the Lenovo Legion Y540. It has a fantastic screen. This Ideapad Gaming 3 may not be far behind in the screen department. If your friend is sceptical, ask him to visit a Lenovo showroom and look at a display piece.

If your friend is looking for something portable, the HP 14s is there (screen won't be that good) with an AMD 5600U processor. And if he wants a good screen, the HP Pavilion 14 is there with an IPS screen. 15 inch version of these laptops also exist.
How's this?

It's more or less just for bba and I suppose they won't use more than microsoft office suite products

I have recently seen lot of Asus Laptops which fit in my budget, not sure what others opinion is about same ?
I'd personally go for ASUS Vivobook like the one mentioned above from your budget. It's perfect for entertainment and light gaming, it's also very slim.
But I prefer Intel-based Laptop. The other day, I put one of my relative's Asus TUF laptops for repair which uses AMD. The shopkeeper said that he experienced the same issue a lot where the GPU chip used to be defective. For the TUF laptop, luckily he re-heated the GPU and all seems fine now. Below is the intel version.
https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Vivobook-i5-1235U-X1405ZA-KM511WS-Additional/dp/B0BHGVW38M

HP Victus - Ryzen 7
I will suggest this. it is currently priced at 82k, but if you follow the product for a few days, the price routinely falls to 75-80k. I think you cannot get better specs at this price point. Also, it is a beast and can handle mid-level gaming easily, apart from other casual needs.

I got this offline suggestions:
https://www.dell.com/en-in/shop/lap...pd/inspiron-14-5430-laptop/in5430nyk54001sds1
₹ 75,490.00
With intel 13th gen cpu but lower gpu

VS
₹ 77,990.00
Intel 12th gen gpu
This has offers:
1. Extra ₹2,500 discount on Credit Card/UPI/Netbanking transactions
2. Get Alienware Gaming Mouse with an MRP of ₹8599 for only ₹999 during checkout

I am also wondering if this high-end laptops are really required for IGCSE Grade 9 and 10 child ?
Or probably I am stressing much on gaming laptop which is increasing the budget a lot ?

Back